Covid19 Booster

Although hubby and I have both had our Covid19 Booster and actually only had to walk to the local pharmacy which is a 5 minute walk away (we live near Beccles)  , my sister who is 82 and practically housebound and lives in Sittingbourne in Kent is being offered the jab at - wait for it Isle of Sheppey , Rochester, or places in Essex.     I mean I thought they wanted the elderly and she is very ill to get their Booster jabs.    She priced a taxi to the Isle of Sheppey £35 each way.  I mean its a joke.    Has anyone else had problems in other areas of the UK?

Had the text to say that I could have mine last Monday as I'm away ATM . I thought I will try to book for when I return. There the joke started, nearest available 30 mile round trip and expensive to park where it is.

Second choice nearly 50 miles round trip.So gave up.

Then went on on Wednesday and put in local Postcode to where I'm staying. Appointment tomorrow 2.5 miles away.

• Like 3

We have two vaccine hubs in my local area, so it's not been a problem. Had my booster last week, only slight negative is the booster jab appointments start after 2pm at both hubs, no idea why though. My wife's ward has been designated a covid ward again for winter. They currently have 8 under 60s on the ward with covid, none have been vaccinated. All 8 now want the vaccine, so frustrating as with it they may of avoided hospital treatment. 

I think if i was in charge any body that hasn't been vaccinated with out good reason would not be admitted to hospital for covid treatment perhaps then it might concentrate the mind to be a better citizen and not be so lazy/backward in getting vaccinated. John

• Like 2

Agreed. Hubby waited for the system to text him, but had to nudge our GP as he was past the 6 months. He’s now got an appointment locally. If he had booked online the closest would have been James Paget Hospital. 

Now that you can book online at the 5 month date for an appointment at 6 months after your second jab, I booked online last week. But I’ve got to go into the centre of Norwich. Oh well, a morning off work then by the time I’ve traveled in and out!

• Like 1

my gp offered it, but i was unable to attend, being on lads week, and then I got a text saying the local centre (2 miles away) was doing walk ins, so popped down and got it done- no fuss. on a side note my neighbours (who followed none of the guidance all through, have told me they all had it recently and felt awful, luckily they had all had the jabs, so didnt need hospitalisation.

so far I have followed sensible precautions, and managed to avoid catching it, and had my booster a couple of weeks back

Graham took his Dad to a walk in Covid jab place in Milton Keynes, as we wanted him to have his booster before taking him back home to ANglesey, especially as there have been lots of cases amounst carers there recently. No problem, just walk in. The only slight hiccup was getting a certificate with the dates of his original jabs, but he managed to sort that our online. 

We are waiting for our 6 months to expire before we go to get our booster jabs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

my neighbours (who followed none of the guidance all through,

Sounds like the 'twits' who live a few bungalows down from us and who rent.   The first Easter soon after the first Lockdown they had all of the family over for the whole day on Easter Sunday.   Cars parked out in the road.   Should have bubbled them really.     They are the family with the cars with the noisy exhausts.   I pity their elderly neighbours.   I wish I knew who the Landlord is.

Got the notification text last Thursday to book my booster. Did it online and booked for 0810 hrs this morning at the Covid vaccination centre in Rugby.  When I arrived at 0805 hrs there was already a queue of about a dozen people but it soon diminished and I was jabbed at 0815 hrs.  Both my first two jabs were Astra Zenica (had no ill effects at all) but today they were only giving Pfizer vaccine, so far no effects but it might be early days yet!! :default_biggrin:

Chris

I had my booster last Monday.  Had to travel to Attleborough for it as the nearer centres (Swaffham and Dereham) were fully booked until December, but just wanted to get it over and done with.  I had my ‘flu jab about two weeks earlier at the local pharmacy- the health centre had put me on a waiting list ffs!

I read something a couple of days ago that said that it would likely be between 2 and 5 years before Covid could be regarded as an ordinary infection, like a cold or ‘flu.  One can only hope that it’s nearer 2 years.  Not sure I can stand all the associated palaver for much longer (if I’m still around).  Hearing all of the dire warnings is beginning to jar.  I’m aware that many people have lost their lives as the result of the disease, but I am sceptical of the numbers quoted.  It would be good to be able to live life without constant threats to our freedoms again.

• Like 1

Hi Chris I wonder why when we went they just said you had Pfizer last time and any objections to having Pfizer booster this time. both of us have had no problems i'm sure it will be the same for you, we did however feel the jab this time perhaps we had a learner, just that the first two times i didn't feel a thing, just had a bit of a high temp after three days guess it shows it was doing its job. John

• Like 2

Had all 3 jabs all Pfizer, not had any side affects. My arm was sore for a few days after my booster and I also felt the needle this time. I had made my mind up to refuse my booster if it was the AZ vaccine,as I had heard they were mixing vaccines. Sorry but I'm not mixing them, I'll wait my time if need be. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, annv said:

Hi Chris I wonder why when we went they just said you had Pfizer last time and any objections to having Pfizer booster this time. both of us have had no problems i'm sure it will be the same for you, we did however feel the jab this time perhaps we had a learner, just that the first two times i didn't feel a thing, just had a bit of a high temp after three days guess it shows it was doing its job. John

So far so good 😊 slight soreness in upper left arm but that’s to be expected. Brenda had Pfizer for the first two jabs and Pfizer again for the booster. The booster made her sleep during the afternoon (the only side effect!). I did contemplate ordering a batch of Pfizer for her as I had a very peaceful afternoon :default_biggrin::default_gbxhmm:

next up will be the flu jab - when I can get an appointment!! :default_icon_evil:

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I understood that all boosters would be Pfizer. 

21 hours ago, Hylander said:

Although hubby and I have both had our Covid19 Booster and actually only had to walk to the local pharmacy which is a 5 minute walk away (we live near Beccles)  , my sister who is 82 and practically housebound and lives in Sittingbourne in Kent is being offered the jab at - wait for it Isle of Sheppey , Rochester, or places in Essex.     I mean I thought they wanted the elderly and she is very ill to get their Booster jabs.    She priced a taxi to the Isle of Sheppey £35 each way.  I mean its a joke.    Has anyone else had problems in other areas of the UK?

Here, near Dover, we were offered a selection of places to go for our boosters including our local surgery. Also on the list were local pharmacies - might be a possibility for your sister?

43 minutes ago, vanessan said:

I understood that all boosters would be Pfizer. 

Here, near Dover, we were offered a selection of places to go for our boosters including our local surgery. Also on the list were local pharmacies - might be a possibility for your sister?

Ignore that, I think the wide variety of places on offer was for the annual flu jab, not the booster! Sincere apologies. 
I can’t believe that a place like Sittingbourne hasn’t got more (and closer) booster hubs. I certainly think your sister’s doctor should help bearing in mind her health. 

I have my booster booked for tomorrow morning at our local centre.

SWMBO has done a fair bit of voluteering there and it seems to drop off the online booking list every so often for reasons unknown, sometimes it's shown as fully booked and they have seen 30 people during the day, not so much now it's doing walk-ins but the online side seems to have had lots of gremlins.

My invites have come via my gp through texts I've not had any issues, same with flu jab.

Well if your to believe the news today, it would seem the virus is rampaging across Europe again. So if like me you intend on staying here in the UK again next year for your holidays. I'd get booked up another year of staycation looks more and more likely. 

• Like 1

Nearly 40,000 new cases today in UK, perhaps thats not rampaging? As far as I can make out we are still one of the worst European countries. It is a real shame that we are leaving it nearer to Christmas before doing anything positive to reduce the numbers!

1 hour ago, Heron said:

Nearly 40,000 new cases today in UK, perhaps thats not rampaging? As far as I can make out we are still one of the worst European countries. It is a real shame that we are leaving it nearer to Christmas before doing anything positive to reduce the numbers!

I can’t help thinking that there is a move towards herd immunity going on.  As long as you’ve been jabbed, the likelihood of hospitalisation is minimised, although not altogether negated, but by catching the virus, your body should naturally develop a degree of immunity.

One thing is for certain is that it’s not going away and we have to live with it.