Covid19 Booster

Seems that hospitals are now seeing an influx of over 60's with covid but, these are the ones who didn't for some reason have the jabs. But now it seems there are quite a lot coming forward that want to be fast tracked onto the inoculation. program.

They are saying that the vast majority of the cases reported are from people who, have been inoculated and are getting a mild dose of the virus.

By no means a scientific study, my wife's covid ward patients are mostly those that haven't been inoculated. Those that have been have underlying health issues. The one significant difference so far this time round is age. The patients are definitely getting younger. That said, those  that have had there jabs are nowhere near as poorly as this time last year. 

• Like 1

On 14/11/2021 at 19:17, CeePee1952 said:

So far so good 😊 slight soreness in upper left arm but that’s to be expected. Brenda had Pfizer for the first two jabs and Pfizer again for the booster. The booster made her sleep during the afternoon (the only side effect!). I did contemplate ordering a batch of Pfizer for her as I had a very peaceful afternoon :default_biggrin::default_gbxhmm:

next up will be the flu jab - when I can get an appointment!! :default_icon_evil:

Chris

48 hrs later and no soreness anymore and no other symptoms presented themselves. Funnily enough I got a text yesterday morning saying I can now make an appointment for the flu jab.  I'll give our GP practice a ring later and book in for next week (Brenda rang last week, was 20th in the queue on the phone and finally managed to book an appointment for this Saturday!).

Chris

23 hours ago, vanessan said:

I understood that all boosters would be Pfizer. 

Here, near Dover, we were offered a selection of places to go for our boosters including our local surgery. Also on the list were local pharmacies - might be a possibility for your sister?

I wish there were,  I cannot quite comprehend that Sittingbourne which is a huge town has no provision for giving this booster.    Not everyone has a car or in a position to hire taxis'.   I thought most local pharmacies were doing this.    I have to say that the booster is no where near as well organised as the first Covid jabs we all had,  well most of us with half a brain.   People are in hospital who have not had the vaccination,  unless medically they are unfortunate enough not to have it then there is no excuse whatsoever.     

Had our boosters last Thursday. The doctor who did them told us that take up for the booster has been very slow. I don’t really understand this, if you’ve had the first two jabs, why not take advantage of the booster?
I went yesterday for the annual flu jab and also had the pneumococcal jab at the same time. Arm was very sore last night and still is this morning. My new knee is quite painful from time to time and, not being able to lie on my right side due to the sore jab site, it was an uncomfortable night.
I shall go for the shingles jab in a couple of weeks time, I don’t really know why I haven’t had that and the pneumococcal one earlier than this. 

15 hours ago, Heron said:

Nearly 40,000 new cases today in UK, perhaps thats not rampaging? As far as I can make out we are still one of the worst European countries. It is a real shame that we are leaving it nearer to Christmas before doing anything positive to reduce the numbers!

Europe were a bit behind the UK in opening up but infection rates are climbing all over. The canarie islands have and are incredibly busy with tourists from all over Europe. I wonder how long it will be before there are problems out there. I kind of agree with Mouldy on the herd immunity thing, and Boris I believe alluded to it in one of his speeches by saying we've got to get on with it  and learn to live with covid...

One of TV doctors commented last night that Europe is more of a timing thing. Although many countries are now ahead of us in the double vaccination rates (because of the reluctance to jab the 12 to 16 year olds), they started later than us. Our immunity started to wain in the late summer, and we began the booster program a couple of months ago. Europe's immunity is waning around now, at a time when colder weather leaves more people vulnerable. The Delta variant didn't hit them so hard then because of their jab rate success, but it's now finding the vulnerable. 

It's hoped that a booster program across Europe will bring the infection rate back down. In essence, Europe is tracking where the UK was a few weeks ago.

Another thing I heard was that it wasn't thought we would need interminable boosters, as after 4 or 5 "sessions", the body is able to assemble and keep a memory of the infection, to mount a response. It's like that with Hepatitis B the doctor said. Those in the medical profession have to have the Hep B jab to be able to practice, but after 4 or 5 (can't remember which), it's no longer necessary.

The herd immunity thing is a confused message for this reason. Eventually, enough people will be able to mount the response, that the virus can't find a new host. The immunity you get from general infection would last a matter of months, and you may then get it again. Perhaps enough of this reinfection renders you protected in the same way. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, andyg said:

The canarie islands have and are incredibly busy with tourists from all over Europe. I wonder how long it will be before there are problems out there.

I hope not!  :default_ohmy: I'm booked to Lanzarote first week in January for a "lads week" :default_biggrin: (Although I've heard that Fuerteventura is having a problem at the moment!).

Chris

19 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

I hope not!  :default_ohmy: I'm booked to Lanzarote first week in January for a "lads week" :default_biggrin: (Although I've heard that Fuerteventura is having a problem at the moment!).

Chris

I have a friend who works and lives in corralejo on fuerteventura. He posted a video on FB last Saturday and the town was heaving. I hadn't heard about any concerns just at the moment. I still have a booking with tui for lanzarote originally made back in 2019, seems bizarre we still haven't had the trip. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Keebz said:

we need to stop all the notifications on deaths, infections ect it’s still a illness that more than most survive, you hear people say you must wear masks everywhere so you dont cough and sneeze on people well I have never done that even before this “it’s called manors”, I wouldn’t of visit my elderly parents with a cold or flu, I never visit my dad in a hospice when I had a cold the fact the most measure are to keep this at the forefront of our minds 

Knowledge is power - keep giving us all the information available please. Also, air borne droplets are not just spread through coughs and sneezes, plus you can have no symptoms and still spread it to someone who may die.

Wear masks, follow the rules or risk literally killing someone.. really!

• Like 2

Our Local Spar shop has fresh notices up ready for Tuesday when Mask wearing is to become compulsory in shops once again.  My MrsG will be following the guidelines as she works there (I sometimes prefer her in a mask btw :default_icon_e_surprised: )

I had my flu jab last week with no side effects, not even a sore arm.  Got my Covid booster jab booked for a week tomorrow, can't get it before then

Griff

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Our Local Spar shop has fresh notices up ready for Tuesday when Mask wearing is to become compulsory in shops once again.  My MrsG will be following the guidelines as she works there (I sometimes prefer her in a mask btw :default_icon_e_surprised: )

I had my flu jab last week with no side effects, not even a sore arm.  Got my Covid booster jab booked for a week tomorrow, can't get it before then

Griff

I’m in Sheffield it’s very hard to get the flu jab this will be first year I’ve had it but lots of places are struggling to get vaccine 

only if its deliberate i believe. and it would have to be evidence published from government sources to refute the claim.

I have noticed that wearing masks while shopping (even though i am technically exempt, and still cannot wear a proper mask, i have been using a face covering I can breathe through) has meant that over the past year and a half, I have had many less colds, and not caught the flu over that period either, so, from that empirical evidence, masks are certainly helping prevent viruses.

As I said due to some medical issues in the past I can claim exemption from wearing a face covering, but I have found a face covering that I can breathe through, and so I choose to comply to the best of my ability in the thought that any measure taken is better than no measure, and from my experience, this has proved effective, against covid, and against the common cold and flu as well, for me this is enough evidence of the effectiveness of masks.

and yes, I had my booster a few weeks back and have my flu jab booked in just over a weeks time.

• Like 4

Whilst ,I have to concede , discussion on this subject is almost unavoidable it would be a shame if it turned into a slanging match ,on what is a very emotive and in many cases personal topic.

Members views are bound to differ on this subject but hopefully we can continue to respect others views and opinions and remain the friendly face that the NBN undoubtably is.

• Like 1

OK we have unlocked the thread for further comment.

I have been appraised of the fact that it will now once again be mandatory to wear masks when shopping and in public enclosed areas (other than hospitality apparently) unless exempt, so as such that is the line we must advise (comments to the contrary, unless for reasons of exemption will be removed as misinformation under the government and WHO guidelines (and for the security of this forum- unlike facebook and other social media we dont have an AI to do this for us, so it comes down to the overworked and unpaid moderation team to protect the forum from potential legal action))

https://www.who.int/campaigns/connecting-the-world-to-combat-coronavirus/how-to-report-misinformation-online

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-role-of-ai-in-addressing-misinformation-on-social-media-platforms

some comments have been hidden as they have been deemed either misinformation or were getting too confrontational.

We would like to feel that we can discuss this topic without straying into misinformation and without getting confrontational.

we would also point out that this isnt the place to discuss the finer legal points of any government legislation as has happened over previous discussions overr whether you could travel in lockdown, any posts in this vein will also be removed as 'political'

all the above said, can we now get back to the topic of the covid booster.

my daughter had the booster last weekend, and she has had a rough week last week, feeling unwell and tired, so while some experience no side effects, it seems others can have a bad reaction to the booster, that said (and as she put it) its better than actually catching covid and the possible long term effects that might have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We live near Stalham, went online to book our boosters, offers of jabs in...

Kings Lynn...   and

Sheffield!!!!

Repeated tries over a week or two got this down to Beccles, then the local surgery rang up and we have appointments in Hoveton on the 11th Dec..

Meanwhile in Scotland my Dad is house bound and doesn't leave except in a ambulance or hospital bus, Mum is a little better than that.. No one has thought to provision for home visits for the booster.. A relative has been chasing around to get something sorted, but every one says go online which has no provision for home visits, or they pass the buck... 

• Sad 1

As with many things we only get to hear the horror stories. 25th November was 6 months since my second dose of the vaccine. As soon as the government announced that you could make your booking once it had been at least 5 months since your last dose I checked online and was able to secure a booking for the 25th November at a mass vaccination centre 5 miles from me. The centre was well organised and well run and I walked straight in, was jabbed within 2 minutes of arrival and then sat for the 15 mins.

It couldn't have been easier or simpler. Well done NHS. It is a massive undertaking and there will be some issues and logistical problems, but please be patient with the NHS.

One thing to bear in mind is that the initial roll outs were mainly completed using AZ which is easier to store and transport. The boosters are using Pizer and Moderna. I'm not sure about Moderna, but the Pizer is a lot more difficult to store and transport and is best suited to use in mass vaccination centres therefore finding a centre 5 mins from you especially if you live in a rural location might be more difficult. 

I had AZ as my first two doses and the booster was Pizer which did leave me with joint and muscle pain for three days but is nearly gone today. A small price to pay though.

Edited to add:

As for masks becoming mandatory from Tuesday. Some of us never stopped wearing them in shops and on public transport so no change for me. Personally I welcome the move. I've not had a cold or flu since March 2020. The longest period I can recall.

• Like 6

Meantime - your edit is so true.     We too have never stopped wearing masks or keeping out distance or sanitising.     Some supermarkets seem to be more careful that others.   I usually feel quite safe in Morrisons.    The majority of folk have continued to wear masks up here.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Meanwhile in Scotland my Dad is house bound and doesn't leave except in a ambulance or hospital bus, Mum is a little better than that.. No one has thought to provision for home visits for the booster.. A relative has been chasing around to get something sorted, but every one says go online which has no provision for home visits, or they pass the buck... 

Contact Age Concern.    That is how I have managed to get my sister's booster arranged.    Not sure if they do home visits.  May be someone could take Dad.

5 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Contact Age Concern.    That is how I have managed to get my sister's booster arranged.    Not sure if they do home visits.  May be someone could take Dad.

No need, my sister works for the Chief Medical Officer of Scotland also she regularly meets and speaks to various senior politicians . She won't normally involve work with family matters, but since her daughter was having no joy through regular channels , she's sent Emails Directly to those in charge... This was only late last week, but I'm sure something will happen this week..