Starting Fishing Again

floydraser

I've done it again: I sneezed at an auction and bought a job lot of fishing rods. Three complete ones and this butt end of a nice Westley Richards jobby.

WR1.thumb.jpg.3d6220fdeb6121ee572bcad0bb74c396.jpgWR2.thumb.jpg.290a999ed4b947b3cd9c27085adb1864.jpg

I like the little loose ring, anyone know what it's for? I've never seen one before.

WR4.thumb.jpg.d1c84b465cfff55076c354ce783b3be2.jpg

WR5.thumb.jpg.b1a4edccc915d7caefaefc296b804021.jpg

Has a couple of eyes angled as this one. Well it would have only the other one has broken off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, floydraser said:

I've done it again: I sneezed at an auction and bought a job lot of fishing rods. Three complete ones and this butt end of a nice Westley Richards jobby.

WR1.thumb.jpg.3d6220fdeb6121ee572bcad0bb74c396.jpgWR2.thumb.jpg.290a999ed4b947b3cd9c27085adb1864.jpg

I like the little loose ring, anyone know what it's for? I've never seen one before.

WR4.thumb.jpg.d1c84b465cfff55076c354ce783b3be2.jpg

WR5.thumb.jpg.b1a4edccc915d7caefaefc296b804021.jpg

Has a couple of eyes angled as this one. Well it would have only the other one has broken off.

I think the loose ring is to put your hook on if you change your fishing area and don’t want to set up all your tackle again (i.e. just moving to a new spot on the bank).

Chris

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, floydraser said:

one

I think that extra ring by the handle is a temporary place for the hook? I have one on one of my fishing rods, at least that’s what I use it for 👍🏻

Cheers 

Paul 

(ps: great minds 😄

Edited by PCL023
Additional text
  • Like 2

Its a split cane or built cane, both the same thing. I still fish with my old split cane rod which must be 60 years old and I love it. Its heavy but so what? That rod looks well loved as it is well varnished. Incidentally, when varnishing a rod you use a finger dipped in marine varnish to apply the varnish. I always used to finish my rods with a matt varnish so there was no reflection from it to scare the fish.

Yep, I can confirm that the little ring is for parking your hook on whilst moving around, very handy when "roving" which us lads used to do on our local stretch of river where we moved on regularly if one swim was no good. We just carried a rod, landing net and a small box of floats, hooks and weights and bait. our bait was usually lobworms cut up and were "snitched" from greens where I lived.  We used to keep low to the skyline and shuffle down the bank and try the swims. A few samples of hook bait were offered and then we introduced our bait on hooks. We were basically poaching but I am sure the farmer knew we were there and we respected his land and animals and left no rubbish and even cleared up after less considerate anglers.

Our river was better fished in the Winter as during the Summer was plagued with minnows, we caught many decent Chub and Roach. Summer time was usually fishing for Carp with my trusty MK4 Carp Rod on gravel pits and lakes.

Oh happy days.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Popeye said:

Its a split cane or built cane, both the same thing. I still fish with my old split cane rod which must be 60 years old and I love it. Its heavy but so what? That rod looks well loved as it is well varnished. Incidentally, when varnishing a rod you use a finger dipped in marine varnish to apply the varnish. I always used to finish my rods with a matt varnish so there was no reflection from it to scare the fish.

Unfortunately, I only have the one section of that rod in the job lot along with just the one section of the rod pictured below. I won't be trying to restore any of them but I will try to get them to someone who may. They're not worth much if anything but I would never throw history away.

1956041145_RLee2.thumb.jpg.b946577f6f28d9a7b0dd478ae6a7dec0.jpg1638324520_RLee3.thumb.jpg.d37ca73cc8d0a76722800006aef456ce.jpg

Does this say "Russ Lee"??  I can't find reference to this name anywhere. I had to look up "Esox" too!:default_blush: Again, just the one section.

2008170251_RLee4.thumb.jpg.b6dffe52a2e81703aad5bf12bddf6c3b.jpg

175707620_RLee5.thumb.jpg.a25f0b5e30abe8301ade0a82135156b4.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, you are right Floydraser, these old split cane rods do not fetch much when sold. I saw a three piece 12ft split cane rod similar to mine in an antique shop window a few years ago priced £30.

These old rods usually adorn pub walls and sometimes people's houses as decorations. It is very rare for them to be seen being used. Everybody seems to want the up to date tackle.

• Like 1

With reference to "Esox" that refers to the fact that the rod was intended for pike fishing, probably with a 2lb test curve which was a fairly meaty rod. Possibly the top joint was broken in a tussle with a monster pike. Pike such as we used to see on the front pages of the Angling Times caught by Dennis Pye on Horsey Mere years ago and they really were monsters.

I wonder how many people remember Dennis Pye? He was a legend on the Norfolk Broads and always wore a battered old railway man's cap. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Popeye said:

Perhaps you might recall the name Dick Walker then, another contributor to the Angling Times?

Be careful how you answer that one.  :default_eusa_naughty:   :default_biggrin:

Yep, a bit of a tightrope that one but the nuns who raised me say there's a spelling mistake in there somewhere.. can't see it myself...:default_dunce:

1 hour ago, Popeye said:

Perhaps you might recall the name Dick Walker then, another contributor to the Angling Times?

Be careful how you answer that one.  :default_eusa_naughty:   :default_biggrin:

Genuine this - when I was 14, I won a 'spot the float' competition where the prize was a week away in Denmark fishing with the Angling Times Junior Rod Benders Club :default_fishing2:

The last cane one in the lot is this hefty 8 foot carp rod. It's the only one complete and the only(!) thing wrong with it is the damage caused by a stuck ferule. No maker's name but it looks like quality.

Cane4.thumb.jpg.c23e8250e2f799badfa81c9d77526558.jpg

Cane1.thumb.jpg.032caccd11d6bd5da4368c8442b3a4ca.jpg      Cane2.thumb.jpg.719bfb62e8a7ce86dfd68a50c0086f73.jpg

Here's the preview pic from the auction catalogue:

1100144239_PREVIEW.jpg.762cbb95d620b2502ca5f2549aad32ab.jpg

How much would you bid?

• 2 weeks later...

Well Santa Claus didn't let me down; he brought me a Matt Hayes kit and landing net.

IMG_20211226_152429.thumb.jpg.861b2edfdf0714a9e25cefa46fe0a6b1.jpg

It's an 8ft telescopic rod with reel, hooks, line etc. everything apart from the bait. I'll be doing a review for Youtube in time. First impressions are that it feels sturdy enough. Some of the Asian stuff on Ebay seems to be aimed at the American and World wide markets but this is definitely for British waters.  

• Like 1

Whilst I did eventually get a keepnet all those years ago, for my trip to Denmark, I can assure you that although it often when on fishing trips with me, along with my landing net, it very rarely had much call to even go in the water in the first place, let alone have any occupants ... :default_fishing2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Back in the day a keepnet was one of those things we all had. Mine was a hand me down like all my other kit until I restarted fishing as an adult and had to buy barbless hooks, leadless shot and knotless nets. I never questioned why I needed a keepnet but I wouldn't bother now anyway. It seems they have gone out of fashion for the casual angler so I guess future generations won't bother either. Kit manufacturers won't be suffering though with all the other bankside stuff they sell these days.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, had my first go today - crikey, it's nearly tomorrow!

As expected I was all fingers and thumbs for a start. Luckily though, I was on the boat, well, inside the boat actually so I wasn't f*rting around on the bank. All went well until it came to putting the shot on the line; struggled like hell. Any tips/recommendations welcome.

I suspect a lot of the trouble could be the Matt Hayes kit I'm using. Three of the five wagglers in the kit fell to bits and they are supposed to be sending me new ones, so the shot are likely to be of similar quality. I think the main line may be a bit on the heavy side too.

• 5 weeks later...

Well I took advantage of the mild weather and a break in work to go down to my local lake and have a proper go at this fishing lark.

Thanks to all here who offered advice and support, and to those who put useful tips on Youtube, I was able to have a great day.

For the first time ever it felt like I nearly knew what I was doing. I chose the spot based on what I had learned from Youtube. Home made ground bait based on YT info. I started using the Matt Hayes telescopic rod with a waggler set up, size 14 hook with a couple of maggots and soon had a few bites. After an hour or so I decided to change to bread and first cast got a bream around 1 1/2lb. About 1/2 hour later a smaller bream then nothing for a while so I set up my other rod, a 12ft float rod, with a feeder. A couple of bites but nothing caught so for the last couple of hours I went back the first set up. I had a couple of small Roach before this guy came along....

I was thinking about packing up as I had been there from 10am and it was nearly 4pm. It was going to be my last cast and I reckon the bread must have smacked him on the nose on it's way down!

Not many fish by other's standards probably but my best day's fishing ever. Thanks again. :default_trophy::default_fishing2:

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

I didn't know whether to put this in the "my day" thread but I've just been again with the same result!

I've upgraded some of the gear though: I now have a new Preston Ignition 9ft feeder rod and Preston Inertia 320 reel in the arsenal. I was using them with a feeder but just a size 14 hook, two maggots. I could post the video but it looks just the same as the one above! :default_eusa_dance:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Further to this and the "My day" thread: Got home from taking the grandson and found an promo email from Angling Direct. They are giving away a free whip to under 16's when you spend a tenner in store. You have to take the under 16 with you to the store, and it's "subject to availability". Worth a try probably but the whip is only worth about £6 anyway from what I can make out. Offer on until the end of August.

Easy to spend a tenner on consumables but it could cost more than £6 to fetch the youngster!

• Like 1