Reedham & Somerlayton Christmas Opening Times

Dear all,

Please see attached Notice to Mariners 13 of 2021 regarding the Christmas period opening times of Reedham and Somerleyton Swing Bridges.

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/notices-to-mariners

Best,

Tom

Tom Waterfall

Senior Communications Officer

Direct dial 01603 756034

Mobile 07986003359

Broads Authority 

Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road, Norwich NR1 1RY

Please note that my normal working hours are 8.00am – 4.45pm Monday to Friday, with alternate Mondays as non-working days.

If I am out of the office I will deal with your email on my return, alternatively please contact another member of the Communications team.

BROADS AUTHORITY NOTICE TO MARINERS 13 of 2021 Reedham and Somerleyton Swing Bridges – operating times during Christmas period Notice is hereby given of swing bridge operating times on 24, 25 and 26 December 2021. 24 December 2021 - Reedham and Somerleyton swing bridges – normal staffing until 18:00. Somerleyton swing bridge will be left open to navigation from the last train on 24 December 2021 until 06:00 on 27 December 2021. Reedham swing bridge will be left open to navigation during daylight hours on 25 December 2021 and 26 December 2021. The bridge will be in the closed position during hours of darkness. For further information please contact - Network Rail 24/7 Customer Services 03457 114141. Director of Operations 11 November 2021

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, annv said:

Hi Luro A call on channel 12 as you approach often gets a response. John

There are also phone numbers on the BA webpage for those without radio Be nice to the bridge operators (contact was stopped a couple of years ago partly due to abuse) & they have to wait after a train has crossed for the Colchester Signalling Centre to give them the electronic OK before they can open up) - there are only 2 trains an hour so print out a copy of Greater Anglia Table 8 so you can see what times to avoid ( At Reedham most services cross near the bridge so only 10-12 minutes they cannot open Somerleyton a bit longer. Also  check tide times & if springs or neaps as the window for passing with bridge closed will vary. If there are 2 red flags flying it means the bridge will not open but Network Rail are pretty quick attending if the is a fault. Both Bridges have illuminated boards with info.

23 hours ago, Luro said:

New to the broads with an air draft of 10’3” so Somerleyton bridge looks a problem even at low tide. What is the process for requesting the bridge to open ?

My airdraft is also circa 10'3". I've never got under Somerleyton and doubt you will. I can get under Reedham from about mid tide down but it ordinarially opens fairly frequently so tend to just wait for it to open.

If you don't already have, it may be worth investing in a marine 2 way radio. Hand held ones are cheap, in the context of boating costs!