Condensation

PAULG

After being out on Evening light 2 in October and seeing the condensation on the boat it got me thinking when I was looking on the barns and Herbert wood webcams.

Seeing all the boats back at the yards, how on earth do they control the condensation on them all or do they just not bother. 

Generally with a hirefleet the upholstery gets removed, the hopper windows get left open and bed hatches and interior doors are left open.

It's not possible to individually tend to 100+ hire boats so they're built to cope with it (formica laminates rather than real wood) and lots of contra moudlings.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cal said:

The boats won't get as much condensation with no people on board. They will be left with windows cracked open to provide adequate ventilation.

You will reduce condensation by doing this slightly, but boats will still stream with it. It's unavoidable.  You just need to mitigate it. 

One cubic metre of Butane gas burned on a cooker hob will release two and a half litres of water vapour into the atmosphere of a boat's cabins.

Fact.

In October in cold weather, as soon as this vapour touches a cold surface such as a window, it will condense in large quantities.  If you don't provide ventilation, you will get condensation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

One cubic metre of Butane gas burned on a cooker hob will release two and a half litres of water vapour into the atmosphere of a boat's cabins.

Fact.

In October in cold weather, as soon as this vapour touches a cold surface such as a window, it will condense in large quantities.  If you don't provide ventilation, you will get condensation.

Just very very roughly, how long does it take an average size gas ring to burn a cubic meter of gas? 

Yes, I know there are a thousand variables but if it's a couple of hours that's a gallon a day to deal with but if it's 20 hours then it's more like a gallon of water a week.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Just very very roughly, how long does it take an average size gas ring to burn a cubic meter of gas? 

As a matter of interest I have been looking up my copy of the CITB gas regs.

A 13kg bottle of Butane liquid will produce 5.4 cu. metres of gas.

Judging by how often we have to change gas bottles, one can estimate that a large hire boat will use around 2 cu. metres of gas per week on the cooker. Propane gas would be about 2,5 cu. metres per week.

Another very important thing to bear in mind:

One volume of Butane gas needs 13 volumes of oxygen for complete combustion.  As oxygen is about 20% in air, that means that one cu.metre of gas needs 65 cu.metres of air in the galley, if it is to burn cleanly.

That is why fixed ventilation is so important.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Of course if gas is being burnt it means there must be people on board and those pesky humans with their incessant breathing habit chucks out water in abundance, and they just won't stop doing it even in their sleep (unless of course they have ignored Vaughn's last comment).

I usually try to offset my water output by emitting methane at the same rate but that is another issue....

• Haha 4