Going Under Potter Heigham

Andrewcook

Will this be the end of an end of an era of Cruiser's going under Potter Heigham Bridge due to rising tides from Great Yarmouth as it now only Day Boats going under with ease to Hickling and Horsey Mare and other places above Potter Heigham the only thing I could suggest if Herbert Wood did a deal with people who are using there Cruiser' having there Day Boats to visiting theses places with ease. 

still plenty of old wooden cruisers that can get under most of the time, the biggest problem was when they widened boats out to 12 foot, those old 9'6" width cruisers are a lot easier to get through.

Really? - You been watching historic films then?

Take the Broom classes of woodies from the fifties / sixties - Designed to pass under PHB - They used to regularly - the Admirals at 7ft2" we often took them through in the 70's and 80's they have a beam of 10ft6"  Not a prayer nowadays.

Our own Broad Ambition, Star Supreme class, designed to pass under PHB with a height of 6ft4", (we need 6ft5" to get through) beam of 12ft, used to pass under regularly hardly at all nowadays

So I will disagree with you statement.  Yes, there are still some old woodies that can pass under at exceptional low water but the majority that used to can't.  Take Doug's previous Nipper as an example, small boat, narrow beam, he was stuck for weeks on end up river of the bridge.

Just because the Delight class can sometimes clear it and Martham woodies often do (But not always) does not justify the statement that plenty of old wooden cruisers can get under most of the time - In reality they can't

Of course dredging the lower Bure and in particular getting rid of the artificial 'Bure Hump' would help no end but we all know by now that the Ba won't do that as it would expose the lack of historical dredging generally on the northern rivers / broads

Griff

• Like 4

I suppose my personal experiences do colour my view somewhat Griff, the limiting factor on Water Rail is the width of the roof at the rear, as she needs 3" more at Potter Heigham than she does at Wroxham, so its all down to the shape of the bridge for some boats.

I do still think that comparing to the 70's and 80's might be a bit suspect as there was an unusually low water level during those decades, but I agree with the issue of the bure hump.

1 hour ago, BroadAmbition said:

Of course dredging the lower Bure and in particular getting rid of the artificial 'Bure Hump' would help no end but we all know by now that the Ba won't do that as it would expose the lack of historical dredging generally on the northern rivers / broads

Griff

@BroadAmbition- Can I ask what you mean by the artificial 'Bure Hump' ?

11 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

the only thing I could suggest if Herbert Wood did a deal with people who are using there Cruiser' having there Day Boats to visiting theses places with ease. 

That's a good shout and I like the idea of booking a cruiser/day boat combination. However, I don't know if HW would ever do it given the money they make on the day boat fleet being well booked as they are.

10 hours ago, grendel said:

I suppose my personal experiences do colour my view somewhat Griff, the limiting factor on Water Rail is the width of the roof at the rear, as she needs 3" more at Potter Heigham than she does at Wroxham, so

So, could you let us into the secret of what clearance Water Rail needs under Potter Heigham? Please?

1 hour ago, grendel said:

according to the bridge pilot she needs 6'3" at Potter - he looked it up in their big black book, she will get through wroxham at 6'

I think that figure is based on me telling them that figure some years ago when I asked them for their help!!! I think at a push she might go through perhaps at 6' but I wouldn't want to take the risk

I suppose the thing to do is take her through at 6' 3" and see how much space there is either side of the canopy roof? There is plenty above at that height

Liz

• Like 1

well I am certainly hoping to take her through sometime this year Liz, last year I was thwarted due to high water levels the week I went as it was down in the 5 foot something range (a combination of weather and wind direction I believe, so its never a guaranteed certainty to get under.

East Anglia and Southern England has been slowly tilting down since the last Ice age, this plus, water level rise since the bridge was built means the sea level rise at GY has been between 3 and 7 ft ish. (I'm working on UK Averages from all over the place). Plus of course when the bridge was first built it would have settled a bit.

Global warming or not the bridge will eventually become impassible.

The majority of boats however have just been built Too big, in the last 50 years they've got wider and taller until Ferry marina gave up all pretense and their boats won't go under anything other than Ludham sometimes, Acle and GY at low tide

I know many will shoot me down in flames, but I really dont get the sentimental reasons for retaining a bridge designed to allow boats to pass underneath and people and vehicles to pass over the top, which no longer does the job it was built to do

As such I would have no hesitation in its removal and a lovely modern one put in its place which actually does the job the original design was meant to solve

Time to get behind the couch :default_hiding: :default_biggrin:

• Like 5

Warren - you will be pleased to know it will never happen!!!

The area above is to remind everyone what the area used to look like - stunningly beautiful and remote and teeming with rare wildlife - lets leave it alone, so its not turned into a "theme park" , to remind us of a bygone era.

If you chose to do so, its easily accessible - do so and you might realise what I mean! It really is Natures Wonderland!!!

• Like 3

I agree with Marshman. Once you do get under the bridge you realise that a large part of it's attraction is how quiet it is compared to other areas of the Broads. It's charm would be completely destroyed if the bridge was replaced. We hired a day boat from Whispering Reeds boatyard in Hickling a few years back. Managed to get to Horsey (lunch at The Nelson Head), West Somerton and even the top of Catfield Dyke in what was a very relaxing day. 

• Like 2

Quietly dozing away up Meadow Dyke one summer afternoon, I was visited, mostly overhead, by Norfolks Big Six!

Bittern, Otters, Norfolk Hawkers, Swallowtail, Cranes and Kingfishers!!

And nary a Margoletta in earshot or sight to disturb the tranquility!

(Which is why it is just so special!! )

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

I know many will shoot me down in flames, but I really dont get the sentimental reasons for retaining a bridge designed to allow boats to pass underneath and people and vehicles to pass over the top, which no longer does the job it was built to do

As such I would have no hesitation in its removal and a lovely modern one put in its place which actually does the job the original design was meant to solve

Time to get behind the couch :default_hiding: :default_biggrin:

The expensive part of your plan has already been done in the form of the newer bridge, the rest is the easy bit, I recon we could sell to a daft yank under the pretence it's a much posher bridge like wot london did, maybe trump could incorporate it into his wall (he won't notice the drug mule sized gap under it).

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Slightly  off topic.The story about buying the wrong bridge is not entirely true.I've been on the old London Bridge in America. The chap who brought  the Bridge owned a tractor factory. And wanted to encourage  people  to work there so he brought  the Bridge and made other attractions. The American  story  tale London Bridge  is falling down, shows in the book Tower Bridge. That's where the story gets confused. He was well aware  he was buying LONDON BRIDGE.However the North and South  parts of the Bridge remain in London,so the Bridge in America  is slightly  smaller  then originally. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you chose to do so, its easily accessible - do so and you might realise what I mean! It really is Natures Wonderland!!!

But you have to make an effort. Most holiday makers and many private boaters do not. That effort will be truly rewarded. 

When you go on a package holiday to the Costa Plenty or to Greedy Greece or to Turkish Delight on the day of your arrival, or the following day you have your holiday representative visit. Tempting you with a free glass of Chateau Plonk. His main objective is to sell you coach trips, sea trips, tempting evenings of drunken debauchery. (sounds good, but sadly, for me, not allowed)

You have to use your own ability to explore and discover the hidden Norfolk. A different boat, albeit the boat from Beccles to Geldeston, a different boat to Horsey, or Somerton. The hidden reaches from Foundry Bridge in Norwich. The walk to the Swan Pit. Past Cow Tower and the horrors of Lollards Pit. Then to the delight of Elm Hill. Then to visit the Cathedral, the Norwich Castle.

I urge you to read Tombland, by C. J. Sansom, you will discover a richness of Norwich history during a dramatic period and will give you an important insight into the the history of Norwich and Norfolk.

It is your holiday, your week on  "the boat" your boat, your hire boat, it makes no difference.

We also have an abundance of riches. Our Theatres.  Gorleston Theatre. An absolute delight. Beccles Theatre, Bungay Theatre, Great Yarmouth Theatre's,  Norwich Theatre's, The Theatre Royal,  The Madder Market, The Playhouse. Google them, decide, book and enjoy. Hop into a taxi...experience.

But you have to make an effort.

If you do not you will miss so much. Walk, get off the boat, there is so much to enjoy.

Old Wussername

• Like 3

A different boat, albeit the boat from Beccles to Geldeston, a different boat to Horsey, or Somerton. The hidden reaches from Foundry Bridge in Norwich.

All the above visited whilst onboard 'B.A' no different boat required as she was designed for the Broads, that's all of em including above PHB

Griff

• Like 3