boating bug

loribear

:wave hi all been talking to my auntie, & found out that she's also got the boating bug, but she prefers sailing, usually off the cowes island, & a few other relatives also like boating, & i thought i'd got the bug off of my parents, how many of you have gotten the boating bug from YOUR parents or relatives ? & do your offspring feel the same way about boating as you do. :Stinky lori

Hiya Lori,

After doing a spell of Genealogy, I found to my surprise, that a whole load of my ancestors have either been building, working on,or sailing on boats and ships. So I now know where my love boats came from.

Bless 'em all.

Baz :Stinky

Lori, Hi

Back in '46 my parents brought me down to the Norfolk Broads for the first of many happy fortnights over the following years. The first boat was a small wooden, petrol-engined boat which I recall was named Gypsy Maid (or was it Moth?). :Stinky:Stinky

Mary-Jane and I bought our first boat, a 23ft Fairline Holiday Mk1 in 1982, down in Dartmouth. We brought it back, via the Channel Isles, to Brundall with the 3 children onboard. I was quite brave/foolhardy in those days and thought little of launching forth from Alderney to Brighton in a F4/5..... sadly, our children have never been too interested in boating since... :cry:cry:cry

Hi John,

I don't think I'd fancy that trip from Alderney to Brighton either :shocked

Is the Fairline Holiday still around the Broads? I wonder as a friend of mine helped set up the Fairline Holiday Club which we also are members of :wave

Thanks John!

Some friends of ours have a Holiday which they keep on the Ouse in Cambs. Their boat is called Friday Girl as well :Stinky

If you want to take a look at the gallery on the FHC, here is a link: http://www.fairlineholidayclub.co.uk/ne ... cat_id=171

That will take you to Friday Girls pics.

Trolling back through that album we find:

http://www.fairlineholidayclub.co.uk/new%20pics%20folder/details.php?image_id=2404

Friday Girl, Norwich with a number Z14 on the stern that looks like a Broads registration number.... (Z was 1984 -85)

Looking at the orignal shot on Jim's post the font on the name on her bow looks identical to that on John's photo...

Ok folks John said he had no idea where she is now, but perhaps he may now...

Martin, Hi

Yes, I'm convinced she was ours... I posted a reply to Jim's last but it's gone into nether-space! The name lettering is definitely the same!

So here goes again...

We bought her in '82 for £6000 in Dartmouth and she had a Volvo 6-cyl 175 bhp petrol engine. She was a bit small for Mary-Jane and me and the three kids! :naughty::naughty::naughty:

We kept her until '895 and sold her for £7,500... so the reg fits in! :clap:clap:clap

She was built in '79 and is great to see 32 years later looking so smart. :dance:dance:dance

Hi guys,

I'd already spotted the likeness but hadn't gone through the whole album so I hadn't seen the old Broads toll on her. We're a Z reg too which was 1984 but at the moment, I'm not sure when our friends bought her from or where.

I'm sure that they would be interested to hear the history so I will give them a call when I get a moment.

Small World at times isn't it cheers

We bought her in '82 for £6000 in Dartmouth and she had a Volvo 6-cyl 175 bhp petrol engine. She was a bit small for Mary-Jane and me and the three kids! :naughty::naughty::naughty:

We kept her until '895 and sold her for £7,500... so the reg fits in! :clap:clap:clap

My only query was that the reg would have been issued when you first brought her up to Norfolk, so the Z is a bit odd..

unless of course you had her out of the water for a while and registered her later...

My only trip to the Channel Islands and back was on a 46' Benetteau yacht and I thought that was tricky enough!

Playing "Frogger" across the shipping lanes was easier with me sitting below on the radar, locking the set onto the various targets and reading off the predicted CPA (closest point of approach for the un-initiated, if it shows zero you are on a collision course).

I even managed to lock it onto a "bogey" doing 40 knots the wrong way down the northbound lane, some pratt in a big Sunseeker who later got a good telling off from Cherbourg Coastguard!

But my piece de resistance was locking onto an oncoming target and getting a SOG of >75 knots, CPA = ZERO.. target on a collision course!. I stuck my head up to warn the skipper just before the Pilot helicopter went over us, heading out to drop a pilot onto an incoming "heavy"...

A 23 foot motor cruiser, with only one engine, and no sails, and you went from Dartmouth to the Channel Islands and back to Brighton!

Oh well they say "fortune favours the brave" but I wouldn't want to do it...

(Perhaps you should modify your forum signature to include "There are bold sailors and old sailors, and even some old bold sailors!") :lol:

A 23 foot motor cruiser, with only one engine, and no sails, and you went from Dartmouth to the Channel Islands and back to Brighton!

Oh well they say "fortune favours the brave" but I wouldn't want to do it...

(Perhaps you should modify your forum signature to include "There are bold sailors and old sailors, and even some old bold sailors!") :lol:

When we left Brighton we called in at Shoreham for petrol.. then onto Rye, where we dried out in the inner harbour. Next day it was Ramsgate bound... via Dover in an increasing F5-6... :norty::norty::norty:

Arriving in Ramsgate we were offered two very large G&T's by an impressed 40ft yotti who had been waiting a few days there for the weather to abate.

Then straight to Bells at Brundall... by which time our son had given up any pretensions he ever had for cruising!

Then there was the next year and Holland bound... but that's another story!

Lori, Hi

Back in '46 my parents brought me down to the Norfolk Broads for the first of many happy fortnights over the following years. The first boat was a small wooden, petrol-engined boat which I recall was named Gypsy Maid (or was it Moth?). :Stinky:Stinky

Mary-Jane and I bought our first boat, a 23ft Fairline Holiday Mk1 in 1982, down in Dartmouth. We brought it back, via the Channel Isles, to Brundall with the 3 children onboard. I was quite brave/foolhardy in those days and thought little of launching forth from Alderney to Brighton in a F4/5..... sadly, our children have never been too interested in boating since... :cry:cry:cry

:wave OH dear john that's so sad, i can't see how anyone can hate the broads or boating, to me just being afloat & listening to the ducks seeing that beautiful mist first thing in a morning is magical, ive talked to one or two of my friends & they said that they're happy just sat on a beach all day drinking & eating, & i can't think of anything more boring,give me the broads any day,& i love that floating feeling you get when you're on a boat, my idea of bliss. :Stinky lori

Hi guys,

I'd already spotted the likeness but hadn't gone through the whole album so I hadn't seen the old Broads toll on her. We're a Z reg too which was 1984 but at the moment, I'm not sure when our friends bought her from or where.

I'm sure that they would be interested to hear the history so I will give them a call when I get a moment.

Small World at times isn't it cheers

She was built in '79, Jim and we bought her 3 years old. She had the cleanest engine bay I've ever seen, then or since and I soon found that Volvo car engine parts were very much cheaper than Volvo Marine (and identical!) to service her!

We spent quite a bit on extras but the pics in your link show what can be done with a 30+ year old boat! :clap:clap:clap