Pan Yan Pickle.

Popeye

No doubt many of the older members of this forum will remember Pan Yan Pickle which went out of production many years ago. I have knocked up a couple of batches with what I believe to be the ingredients and they certainly taste like Pan Yan and have the slightly crunchy texture that I remember.

I used Bramley apple, diced carrot, diced swede (rutabaga), gherkin, Madras curry powder, muscovado sugar and red wine vinegar and sea salt. I vaguely remember the apple, rutabaga and carrot on the list of ingredients on the jar.

All the recipes on the internet bear no resemblance to what I remember was a crunchy slightly sharp and slightly spicy curry flavoured pickle that I used to love. They also said that the pickle was uncooked but I fail to see how the rutabaga and carrot could be made soft enough without cooking.

Does anybody have an old jar with a label on it listing ingredients? Otherwise does anybody remember the ingredients? I am not asking for any recipes off the internet, I have been there, done it and got the t shirt. 

Thanks.

Popeye.   

I remember Pan Yan very well and think there is a gap in the market. There are plenty of  Indian-style curry pickles out there but nothing that I could find in the "British" style. I have been making my own, based on tomatoes, cooking apples, curry spices and chillis, for the last 12 months or so and giving it to friends and family as presents. From the feedback received it is extremely popular, especially with cheese and cooked meat. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your input to this subject to  Cambridge Cabby, Steve and Andrew.

After having a look at the real ingredients I have formulated a method of making the delicious pickle. In my memory it had a spicy taste and the root veggies were slightly crunchy unlike the sweet soggy Branston pickle.

Before, I used a Bramley apple which as any cook knows disintegrates when cooked. I noticed in the ingredients on the bottle there is a thickener in the ingredients.

My next batch will be made in the same way that piccalilli is made. The diced root vegetables will be simmered in red wine vinegar and sugar until just crunchy and then the diced peppers will be added to cook for a short time. Then a slurry of curry powder and cornflower will be added and cooked until thickened and then diced eating apples and gherkins will be added to cook in the residual heat.

Well Andrew, have a bash at it, I am sure you will not be disappointed with the result when you have it with your pork pie, which incidentally is another of my favourite foods. Mind you it does have to be a proper pork pie with loads of jelly in it.

Regards.

Popeye.  

Ok Jeff, will do. Basically I believe I need an apple that does not disintegrate when cooked. The Bramley has its place such as in apple sauce and although it worked in some way with my original experiment I think I need chunks of apple and a carrier of a consistency of piccalilli but with curry instead of mustard and turmeric as flavouring.

Popeye.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bluebell said:

I’m following this thread with interest. My shore based admiral and I have been reminiscing about Pan Yan pickle, especially this time of year. If any of you chefs care to sell a jar or two I’ll be front of the queue…😎

Thanks for the offer of buying some Bluebell but I am sure all I can make will be scoffed by my chilli head nephew at university along with one of his fellow students who loves eating chillies raw. :default_icon_eek:

I have just tasted some from my first batch in which was made with Bramley apples with no gherkins and peppers  and really it was not bad at all and quite crunchy. There was a rumour that Pan Yan was uncooked but the carrots and swede were steeped in curry flavoured vinegar for a week beforehand and added to the spiced Bramley apple sauce for a couple of minutes. However, after a few weeks maturation the root veggies have softened somewhat. My next batch had the pickled root veggies which were simmered for five minutes in the spiced Bramley apple sauce and then the chopped gherkins were added. I have tasted a sample of that batch and the veggies were just right with just the amount of crunch.

So, a jar of my second batch will be in the pickle platter on the Christmas dinner table after it has matured for a couple of weeks. The next batch I make will have the sweet peppers in it and will be made differently.

In the New Year there will be another batch with the full ingredients as stated on the bottle and with just a little less curry powder so watch this space. 

• Like 2

On 07/12/2021 at 21:06, YnysMon said:

Ooo, I like this perfecting the recipe malarkey. I don’t have the patience myself, but I’m looking forward to the final recipe that you settle on. 

Ok, will do, I will try to list ingredients proportions, cooking time and methods.

Hopefully this will be a service to all us old Pan Yan pickle lovers to have an almost genuine recipe to do for themselves. I don't suppose any companies would produce the product as it possibly has trade mark protection, although I could be corrected on that subject.

Perhaps when a few people start making this delicious pickle it may become a favourite again for some younger generations.

In the New Year I will open Popeye's Pickle Factory Research and Development Department again!

There will be a jar of it on the boat next year and I have just given a jar of it to my little family to add to the Boxing Day spread.

Watch this delicious space!

Popeye.   

• Thanks 1

I tried some with a nice chunk of mature cheddar cheese last night after dinner and the cheese smoothed off the curry powder ingredient which I thought I had put too much of in making the pickle. I think I will leave the amount of curry powder as it is. I like it but others may not so if you are making your own just add and taste until you get it right for your palate. 

• 1 year later...
On 12/12/2021 at 16:15, Popeye said:

I tried some with a nice chunk of mature cheddar cheese last night after dinner and the cheese smoothed off the curry powder ingredient which I thought I had put too much of in making the pickle. I think I will leave the amount of curry powder as it is. I like it but others may not so if you are making your own just add and taste until you get it right for your palate. 

Do you have a recipe I could try please? Thanks 😊 

• 3 months later...