Visiting Norfolk W/e 10/12 Dec

Bikertov

So this may be the very start of my boating story !

We decided to book a last minute trip to Norfolk this weekend, 10th-12th December. Coming up on Friday for a couple of nights staying at Sprowston Manor (between Norwich and Wroxham).

My OH sort of thinks it is just a weekend away, but I want to start looking at boats with a serious eye to buying one.

I will have a look and see what is for sale online, then try and plan some marina visits to see in the flesh.

Norfolk Yacht Agency (Brundall and Horning) are an obvious place to look, along with Norfolk Boat Sales (Brundall and Wroxham). Any other recommendations would be gratefully received.

Hi Suggest you dont look/get a boat to small/cheap so many do this then the next year have to upgrade to a better boat along with all the extra expanses A boat that doesn't need upgrading is cheaper in the long run (unless) you need a project. Best of luck John

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, annv said:

Hi Suggest you dont look/get a boat to small/cheap so many do this then the next year have to upgrade to a better boat along with all the extra expanses A boat that doesn't need upgrading is cheaper in the long run (unless) you need a project. Best of luck John

I need to balance the size/age with my current budget, both financial and timewise, but agree with not going for something that will need to upgrade too soon.

A project boat is not going to be viable for me as I am in London, so no near enough to keep going every weekend at this stage. Also, whilst I am reasonably DIY handy at home, that does not always translate into marine tinkering without any prior experience.

17 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Go via st.ives (cambs.) and have a snoop along the sale line at Jones marina, they have always had a busy turnover and probably cheaper than buying on the broads.

Ditto going with the biggest you can afford as I've done the step ups (albeit cheaply).

I've looked at Jones online - a good point about being cheaper than the Broads. However I will give them a miss this weekend, as St Ives is close enough for me to do on an easy day trip from home.

Don’t forget the bigger the boat, the more costly the mooring fees and the toll. Finding one with a mooring allocated is always a bonus. Buying direct from Richardson’s may fulfil the mooring requirement and in my opinion, Paul is fair to deal with. Ex hire boats are ‘ready to go’ but will need refurb work over time. I do my simple diy eg interior painting, electrics when moored up on the river and then feel I’m still ‘using the boat’. 
Insist on anything that the survey brings up being done before any money changes hands. To be fair, Richardson’s seem to do that anyway and don’t expect you to pay a deposit or anything until completely satisfied. Maybe all companies are like that! 
Happy hunting. Bring waterproofs and wellies if you are planning any walks as it’s very puddly and muddy at the moment. 
good luck. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Don’t forget the bigger the boat, the more costly the mooring fees and the toll. Finding one with a mooring allocated is always a bonus. Buying direct from Richardson’s may fulfil the mooring requirement and in my opinion, Paul is fair to deal with. Ex hire boats are ‘ready to go’ but will need refurb work over time. I do my simple diy eg interior painting, electrics when moored up on the river and then feel I’m still ‘using the boat’. 
Insist on anything that the survey brings up being done before any money changes hands. To be fair, Richardson’s seem to do that anyway and don’t expect you to pay a deposit or anything until completely satisfied. Maybe all companies are like that! 
Happy hunting. Bring waterproofs and wellies if you are planning any walks as it’s very puddly and muddy at the moment. 
good luck. 

I've done my calculations of river toll, boat safety, mooring fees etc, and estimated servicing costs. By my reckoning, I would be looking at £5k per year for a 32' boat, with usage running costs of fuel, electricity and pump-outs on top. I can live with that as I don't smoke, drink much, go to football etc.

And thanks for the weather warning, I will make sure we pack in accordingly :default_badday:

45 minutes ago, marshman said:

Don't forget that the one you really like will be always be above your budget - known as sods law so you might as well be ready for it!!!!!!

Thanks - I think that is called 'life', whatever you really want is that much more than you thought or can afford !

In reality, I will have to compromise somewhere along the line for age, condition, spec and size.

For instance, much I would love to be able to go under PH and onto Hickling (notwithstanding the worthy campaign here to lift it up on blocks or move it to the side :default_rolleyes:), I know that is out of the question for the style of boat I want. In all probability, under Wroxham and onto Coltishall will also not be possible.

13 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

. . . . . . . For instance, much I would love to be able to go under PH and onto Hickling (notwithstanding the worthy campaign here to lift it up on blocks or move it to the side :default_rolleyes:), I know that is out of the question for the style of boat I want. In all probability, under Wroxham and onto Coltishall will also not be possible.

From previous observations, I’d guess that you’re looking at a sedan style boat.  They certainly won’t  go under Wroxham bridge as well as Wayford and there are times when Ludham will not be possible.  As you know, we have a Broom 29 sedan and the last time we were up for a longer stay in October, river levels meant that we couldn’t get under Ludham, even with an airdraft of 8’ 3”.

For practicality, centre cockpit craft are probably favourite, offering a raised helm for a better view, but with a sliding roof to allow you to negotiate the bridges as and when river levels allow.  Hav3 a look on the Apolloduck website.  

Continuing uncertainty with regard to foreign travel is still probably responsible for keeping the used boat market very buoyant, there are far fewer craft on the market now than there should possibly be and good boats are selling very quickly.  Good luck with your search.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

From previous observations, I’d guess that you’re looking at a sedan style boat.  They certainly won’t  go under Wroxham bridge as well as Wayford and there are times when Ludham will not be possible.  As you know, we have a Broom 29 sedan and the last time we were up for a longer stay in October, river levels meant that we couldn’t get under Ludham, even with an airdraft of 8’ 3”.

For practicality, centre cockpit craft are probably favourite, offering a raised helm for a better view, but with a sliding roof to allow you to negotiate the bridges as and when river levels allow.  Hav3 a look on the Apolloduck website.  

Continuing uncertainty with regard to foreign travel is still probably responsible for keeping the used boat market very buoyant, there are far fewer craft on the market now than there should possibly be and good boats are selling very quickly.  Good luck with your search.

Thanks for that - and well remembered that I am after a Sedan style, like yours.

I know that practicality says to get a sliding roof/centre cockpit, the more traditional 'Broads cruiser', but the cabin-cruiser/Sedan is the style that I like, so I will have to reluctantly accept that some navigation will be out of bounds.

With regards the used market, I think it is more lack of holes in the hulls keeping them buoyant (see what I did there :default_biggrin:), but yes, it is similar in ways to the used car market being mad at the moment. But I need to start the search so that when the right boat comes a long, hopefully at the right time, I am ready to go for it.

53 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Might not be suitable but I`ll put it out there anyway as it might be worth an offer now.

Appreciate the reminder, but ideally I am after something a bit newer. But once I have started seeing a few I will have a better idea if my budget can accommodate my ideals.

• Like 1

There's some nice spots around the east coast as long as you time things properly, lack of depth over bars is the main issue.

2019's range for us was wells/southwold/woodbridge/waldringfield/ramsholt/shotley/bradwell on sea/burnham on crouch/ramsgate/dover,  and not a sniff of the northern broads, history along the way was dover castle & tunnels/ramsgate tunnels/languard fort, absolutely fantastic and so chuffed we did it all before covid hit.

You would never moan about a broads fuel bill again though, roll on 2022 season.

And it's only a 30' boat, doesn't take a gin palace to do it.

• Like 3

Well the weekend in Norfolk was over far too soon. 

We had a lovely time, which included meeting half the Manchester United football team who were staying in our hotel !

On Friday we stopped via Brundall to look at some boats in NYA, as well as Norfolk boat sales in Wroxham.

Saturday was a day trip up to Cromer and Sheringham, where I spent a bit of time admiring the steam trains on the North Norfolk Railway. We came back through  Sutton Staithe and Richardsons in Stalham and we finished the day with pizza in a lovely restaurant in Norwich.

After we checked out of the hotel on Sunday we took a drive via Coltishall to Horning where I went to NYA to look at some boats there. I tried to look in at Horning  Pleasurecraft but they were closed, although I took a walk round the moorings and had a lovely chat with one of the boat owners there.

My conclusion from the weekend is that I want a boat more than ever, and even my OH is not averse to the idea. The only thing is that the cost of what I really want is out of my budget for now, so I am working on what compromises I can accept in order to get on the water.

• Like 2