Another Scam

Hylander

Out of the blue 2 days ago I received an email purporting to be from Freemans.    I dont have a Freemans account which kind of threw me a bit.    It said and it looked completely authentic that an unauthorised order had just been made and paid for by my PayPal account.   This was for a total of £399 plus £4.50 postage.    Immediately I was in a panic and then I thought where it said click here to prevent this order going through, I will ignore that and have a look at my Paypal account by a different route.     I did just this and could not see any such amount.  I got on to their message centre immediately and good on them they came back within the hour to me.    In the meantime I put this email into the Spam.      Paypal said they could not see any unauthorised movement on my account but to keep an eye.   Said I had to forward the email to their Spoof department which I did.

Anyone having a Freemans account could be completely fooled into clicking on their link and giving away priceless information.

Be Careful.

• Thanks 2

I had one purportedly from hermes, click here to arrange redelivery, I went to the hermes tracker page via a google search, and put in the item number to which it replied not a valid code.

I reported it to report@phishing.gov.uk

the email address was very close to hermes own (@myhermes-uk.uk) instead of the real (@myhermes.co.uk)

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, grendel said:

I had one purportedly from hermes, click here to arrange redelivery, I went to the hermes tracker page via a google search, and put in the item number to which it replied not a valid code.

I reported it to report@phishing.gov.uk

the email address was very close to hermes own (@myhermes-uk.uk) instead of the real (@myhermes.co.uk)

I tell you,  you have to be so careful.   I feel sorry for older folk,   I know I am one but you know what I mean.

2 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

There is one going around from the Metropolitan Police (possibly only London) asking if you are dead or alive as someone in the USA is trying to claim on your estate.

Wonder what they would do if I told them I was dead.

Fred

If I get one I will try it, I'll even tell them what I died of if they ask.

Well you have to don't you.

• Haha 4

I think the scams are going to be rife again this time of year especially with the amount of online buying that's happening.  I got quite a few "mobile phone" calls to my mobile or "landline" calls to my mobile which if I don't recognise the number, I don't answer!  If they don't leave a message, I block the number!  The frequency of them has somewhat lessened over the last few weeks :default_biggrin:  I used to get the "Post Office failed delivery" text as well as the "Hermes" one but they seem to have given up with my mobile as well lately!! :default_biggrin:

Chris

• Sad 2

41 minutes ago, Hylander said:

I tell you,  you have to be so careful.   I feel sorry for older folk,   I know I am one but you know what I mean.

it wouldnt have been so bad but I was expecting 3 parcels that day (one from dpd, one from yodel and one from royal mail)

the problem is that even if you were in when the failed delivery took place, you could quite believe it with hermes drivers.

2 minutes ago, andyg said:

I love the cold callers you get from India, hours of fun to be had there. It dosent take long to have them tied up in knots pulling there hair out lol..or just tell them your just getting a pen,then wait and see how long it takes them to hang up...

Yep, lots of fun to be had. One of the new versions though, involves a set of recorded sentences read by a clear English voice. I realised after a couple of times they were out of sync and it said, "I'm not a robot". No, it's somene pressing buttons in response to whatever you say. Clever.

• Sad 1

• 9 months later...

This is for you if you buy or sell anything on Facebook Marketplace:

As you may know I have the Denham Owl on there at the moment and the responses have so far been good. Last night I got a reply through Messenger from "Steven" :

Hello, Are you interested in an exchange? I also offer you a difference of money, this is my ad, please check and let me know: http://marketplace--------------.com Thanks! 

I touched the link but luckily my phone isn't signed in to FB so it didn't work. I messaged "Steven" thanking him for his interest and said I would look later. We were watching The Repair Shop!

About 10 minutes later I got another reply from "Gary", exactly the same: same text, same link. Oops.

About an hour later same again from "James".

I checked the link on the laptop, it doesn't exist and a warning came up so I guess it's already been reported and taken down. Very convincing though. I checked the three profiles and they are genuine, so someone has worked out how to hijack a profile to send messages. I reported all three messages.

• Sad 2

With the Energy Price Guarantee now active please be on the watch for the latest round of scams.

If you are a monthly direct debit customer most energy providers will take your monthly direct debit as usual, and then within 5 days give you an automatic refund of £66 to cover the EPG. You DO NOT need to do anything extra. If you are on a key meter then you should receive vouchers in the post which can be used when you top up the key.

Please be very very careful about replying to any text, emails PMs etc that claim you need to provide your bank account details to receive the EPG.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1