My garden has become a cat loo .... grrrrrrr

Guest smellyloo

How do I stop the neighbourhood cats using my garden as a loo?

They all seem to descend on me .... scratching up young plants and the stench is disgusting.

I have considered poison as I consider them to be vermin but I am worried in case an unsuspecting dog or child licks it up.

I have heard cat owners describing their animals as clean? Well you would think that ...... they don't s**t in your garden!!!

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Not doing a bit of trolling are you Ponky?

Cats are generally clean which is why they use your garden rather than their own :wave

Cat Pepper, Citrus Friut Peel, etc or get a cat of your own and return the favour to your neighbours.

I think a little more friendly than your suggestion.

Not doing a bit of trolling are you Ponky?

No, digging. I just hate it when my hand ends up covered in cat s**t. Just poured pepper over the garden, it made me sneeze so here's hoping I hear cat sneeze soon.

Pavilion.

I have looked up catwatch on amazon. As always there are conflicting reviews. Some rate it highly others say it seems to attract cats.

Would it be suitable for a front garden? How long do the batteries last?

Thanks so far for your replies.

cheers

Smelly

I found a web-site that will answer all your questions

http://www.deteracat.co.uk/index.htm

The catwatch can run on a 9V battery or via a transformer from the mains.

They do report that it doesn't always work with older cats, as they tend to lose their hearing as they get old

and then an ultrasonic device won't work

(Isn''t there a similar product that councils use to stop youngsters congrgating in shopping centres etc?

I seem to remember that it doesn't effect us oldies because our heaing doesn't pick up the same range)

They also have other products on that site that you might like.

How about an automatic water jet that blasts anything that triggers its detector?

I can honestly say it does work. We have one in the back garden - it covers a large area - and one in the front. The one in the front garden is running off of a battery whilst the back garden version is running off of the mains. Does not affect dogs or hedgehogs or the birds, feathered variety. As I say not cheap but it does the trick. Having watched my husband weeding out in the garden and being greeted by you know what it was a no brainer, we had to get Catwatch.

How do I stop the neighbourhood cats using my garden as a loo?

They all seem to descend on me .... scratching up young plants and the stench is disgusting.

I have considered poison as I consider them to be vermin but I am worried in case an unsuspecting dog or child licks it up.

I have heard cat owners describing their animals as clean? Well you would think that ...... they don't s**t in your garden!!!

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Shotgun!!

Do you want to borrow my Boxer dog smelly? :naughty:

No cat dare invade her teritory, never mind have the chance to leave a calling card, one pounce onto the back of their neck if they even dare do as much as sit on the fence, and they are tossed up into the air like shuttlecock!

They dont think twice about legging it when they land, and if they do, whilst still dazed and shocked, and only two have ever tried it, they are then treated to a severe shakking in her powerful jaws before up they go again, and shes out for the kill :norty:

The word has certainly got around the local cat community that you dont even put a paw into the garden of Sassy's home, unless you want to cost your owner a small fortune in vets bills being sewn back together again, and suffer a lot of broken bones, bite puncture wounds and pain!

Julz :wave

Shotgun!!

I had a Loadmaster when I used to fly who had exactly the same problem with a neighbour's cat and dog! And he had a little 3-year old daughter at the time... :cry:cry

Repeated requests to his (next-door) neighbours failed and so..... he went round to their house one early Sunday moorning and "performed his ablutions" on their doorstep.... :o:o:o

Not surprisingly the offending cat and dog were thenceforth kept under control... :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Once again thanks for your sugestions.

Smelly's thoughts so far:-

Jill: "Tiger poo", might cost me an arm and leg whilst scooping it out of their cage.

Julz: Your boxer sounds just the ticket, would love a dog but the cats round here would just be too great a torment.

Hockham: The cats round here are too many to count, so I would need to spend a fortune on laxative to ablute the many offending door steps.

Get a cat!! Sorry if I offend but for me the only good cat is a flat cat!!

On balance I feel the electronic gizmo might be the answer although I will need to start saving. I'm willing to bet the owners of the offending vermin won't stump up the cost. :cry:

I would say get a dog.......or as in our case, 3!!

Do you have a garden fence?........smear the top with very hot mustard!!

There are some green jelly crystals you can get from pet stores, puncture the top of the plastic lid and sprinkle-supposed to be a deterrent, they certainly deterred the dogs from "unloading" where it wasn't wanted! Think they cost about £4 so not a huge amount lost if they don't put the critter off.

Good luck with the mission!

The little green crystals work for me but need to be reapplied regularly until the cat gets the idea that they are not welcome.

They are called 'Get off!' and I got mine from the local pound shop although I think B&Q might do them too at a slightly higher price.