Christmas Leftovers

grendel

well after dining well over christmas, a 3 bird roast, a small brisket beef joint and a small gammon, its time to start finishing off the roasts, i have had the sandwiches, but tonight it was the turn of the 3 bird roast, it was chopped into chunks, then fried up in some sesame seed oil, egg noodles were added and a jar of sweet and sour sauce (30% less sugar) was sloshed over the top, divided into 2 portions, the rest will do for tea tomorrow. i will update as i use the other two roasts up.

• Like 3

No leftovers still left over here! We had a turkey crown for 7-8. There was 5 of us on Christmas Day so just enough left for cold turkey and salad on Boxing Day. As the football was cancelled we were actually both at home for dinner! The small piece of gammon did for sandwiches for 3 days. It all worked out as planned.

Scrambled eggs tonight and then pizzas from Monzu booked for tomorrow.

• Like 3

We had a small turkey crown between me and son Harry and I made a nut roast for Graham. I didn't bake the latter in my large loaf tin though, but divided it up between two small ones and put one in the freezer.

We have brought the frozen one down to Bournemouth with us, along with sliced turkey and cranberry sauce, so tomorrow evening we'll have a Christmas dinner with our second son Alec. This afternoon we visited a farm shop on his local high street in Winton to get the veggies. No Christmas pud, but I have made some trifles using ginger sponge soaked with rum, mango and egg custard.

• Like 4

I’ve brought the leftover cold meat to the boat today to munch on with baked beans and potato wedges. Left Tony at home, he won’t eat cold meat. 
Am going to try to use these few days on the boat to kickstart losing the Christmas weight! 2kg worth!!

• Like 7

We had a medium crown from D Russell.   Now they may be expensive and look quite frankly like a small chicken when they arrive but their Turkeys are from France and they are full of flavour.    Out of that we had (only two of us) roast, cold, sandwiches, the obligatory Turkey curry, Turkey soup, and I made two Turkey and Ham Flans , one of which is in the freezer.

Now I have a confession.  This blasted ham business,  I cannot for the life of me cook a ham at Christmas, it always goes wrong.   This year I bought a small gammon from the farm shop, cooked it as they say,  simmered for 1hr and 15 mins and then I proceeded to glaze the ruddy thing.   Came out almost rock hard from the oven.   I didn't like the glaze.   Because I had put in the initial simmering cloves, black pepper, leaks, carrot etc it just tasted wrong.    Help what can I do.   By the way the ham is in the bin.   Am I buying the wrong thing in the first place.  Any recommendations please?

45 minutes ago, Hylander said:

. . . . . . .  Any recommendations please?

I’ve used this recipe for years.  I found it in the wife’s ancient copy of The Dairy Cook Book.   I think the recipe pre dates fan ovens, so I usually reduce the temperature for baking the glazed joint to about 170C and check it every few minutes.

5F31E0BB-3B41-4051-9723-1409A76F3731.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hylander said:

Thank you.     Where do you buy your gammon from.   The gammon in the supermarket never looks like the gammon in the photo.   They are usually ends.  I will definitely keep your recipe for next Christmas.

To be honest, from a supermarket.  At least you get chance to buy a piece with enough fat to score after the skin is removed, although before we moved to Norfolk, we bought ours from Costco, again where we could select the piece we wanted.  Always plain, not smoked though.

There are loads of recipes on line including some from TV programmes.  I’ve watched programmes with gammon cooked in pineapple juice, orange juice and even Coca-Cola, but have always stuck with this recipe.  It works for me.

• Thanks 1

My mistake was to buy a smoked version and it was far too strong.    Oh well you live and learn.   Might have a go during the year perhaps for Easter ,  I cannot make any more of a hash up of it as I did this time.   Not so sure I can get on with this glazing nonsense , to me it just makes it sticky when carving.    

I use that recipe too, delicious. I think the key might be the soaking, the one year I was short of time and missed it out, it was very salty, so much do that a turkey and ham pie filling I made after Christmas had to very reluctantly be thrown away. I think it just concentrated the saltiness even further. 
I admit to buying from the supermarket too, a triangular unsmoked piece with a big slab of skin for the cloves/glaze. 

11 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

We're still surviving on left over Turkey.  MrsG has made her traditional Turkey curry too.  She is as we speak making up sandwiches for me n my boy from our Christmas ham for tomorrows shoot lunch, no doubt Purdey will assist

Griff

Nice greasy sausage roll or two for Finlay on shoot days and a good doze till we set off again!

If we have leftovers, Mrs O chucks leftover bird, stuffing, gravy, pigs in blankets, sprouts, chestnuts, bread sauce and cranberry into a dish, puts shortcrust over the top, whacks it in the oven and voila - Christmas pie!  All the things you love about Christmas dinner but in pie-form.  We have this every year and look forward to it.

• Like 2

after shopping trip to lidls, its now decided, the beef will go into a stew in the slow cooker (at least another 2 days meals there, and the ham will be chopped up to go in an indian curry with some veg for another two meals, thats the next weeks dinners sorted then.

• Like 1

On the subject of ham, we buy gammon joints, smoked or plain, from the supermarket. I put the joint in a large pan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil and then chuck the water away. I then cover again with fresh water with half a dozen cloves and some peppercorns in it and boil for about an hour, skimming off any scum that may form. I then remove the gammon from the water and peel off the skin. The second cooking water can be used as the basis for soup - makes a good minestrone.

I score the fat and paint with a mixture of mustard powder and brown sugar, then push a clove into each square of fat, wrap the whole lot in foil and bung into an oven at around 180C for 40 minutes. I then remove the foil and brown the joint for a final 20 minutes. Not had any complaints about the end result.

Cooking times should be adjusted depending on the size of gammon joint. The ones I get are 1 to 1.5 kg. 

• Like 1

It's the first year I haven't cooked a ham since we were married. Graham's Mum served up ham as well as turkey Christmas day, so I had to do the same. Now he's not eating meat any longer that gives me more options. He did tell me last week that the cooking of both ham and turkey thing had been unnecessary. Wish he'd said that a few years back!

We cook our gammon, smoked or green, in the slow cooker, covered in cola (the cheapest available!). The Admiral (shore based) then sorts out a glaze involving honey, mustard (Dijon) and something magical and bakes it for shortish time in the oven.

Hope that helps…😎

Oops - time to put the oven on for the turkey and ham pie mmm…

• Like 2

• 9 months later...