Just A Heads Up- Boat Damaged At Neatishead

grendel

I have just received word that a boat had a can of blue gloss paint poured over the roof decks and sides of the boat at Neatishead moorings.

the boat in question had encountered difficulties mooring due to a large number of fishermen with keep nets refusing to move to allow them to moor up, when they woke in the morning they found their boat had been vandalised by someone who had poured the contents of a can of blue gloss paint over the boat.

the broads authority have been informed as have broads beat.

the fact the fishermen had keep nets seems to indicate some sort of competition, or organised angling event. however it is still unacceptable to cause damage to a vessel that is within its rights to ask for a space to be made to moor up.

we will not entertain any guesswork about what happened,or why it happened, just ask that anyone who may have any information about the angling club or fishermen involved, or who poured the paint over the boat, contact either the broads authority or broads beat and report it to them. this is best dealt with by the authorities.

any speculation here will be removed by the moderation team we will also not allow this to become a war between fishermen and boaters.

my commiserations go out to the poor boat owners who have now got to try and remove the paint.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

"the fact the fishermen had keep nets seems to indicate some sort of competition, or organised angling event, however it is still unacceptable to cause damage to a vessel that is within its rights to ask for a space to be made to moor up." 

"any speculation here will be removed by the moderation team we will also not allow this to become a war between fishermen and boaters." 

So the moderators can speculate, but no one else? 

This will be deleted, I've no doubts, but while it's still here read the above two paragraphs, just think about it. 

• Like 3

We pay a lot of money in Tolls, with not many BA free moorings and even fewer with power like Neatishead. Isn't it time the BA sign boards said 'No Fishing'. I'm sure that most of us have encountered this problem where fishermen ignore the BA signs saying give way to boats mooring!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

This is not speculation

I'm hopping mad about this.  I have spoken directly with the owners of the vandalised boat. Photo's will be forthcoming as will more details once I have calmed down

Griff

Absolutely it's not speculation that the event happened, and it's sickening. Sign me up to find the perpetrators. 

However it is speculation by a moderator (that will not allow speculation) that anglers were involved. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Wyndham said:

However it is speculation by a moderator (that will not allow speculation) that anglers were involved. 

my comment was necessary to elucidate whether there were any witnesses amongst those present, as it was apparently an organised event some effort should be made to find out who it was organised by as they might have evidence pertinent to the issue, there was no speculation on my part. the facts were as presented, a large group of anglers, all with keep nets, the only question was to ask if this were an organised competition type event.

I suggest you read my initial post carefully, there was no accusation that the fishermen were involved, they were present and in number, the fact that none moved and the boater had problems avoiding them while mooring means some will have been in close proximity to the boat, so should have witnessed the vandalism.- that is not speculation.

58 minutes ago, Wyndham said:

So the moderators can speculate, but no one else? 

This will be deleted, I've no doubts, but while it's still here read the above two paragraphs, just think about it. 

my apologies, I have just spotted a comma that should have been a full stop, and may have caused the paragraph to read as an accusation, the two sentences were supposed to be separate and the second unconnected to the first, it was not an accusation, just two statements of fact, I am sorry if it came across as an accusation, it was not intended to be.

3 hours ago, grendel said:

the fact the fishermen had keep nets seems to indicate some sort of competition, or organised angling event. however it is still unacceptable to cause damage to a vessel that is within its rights to ask for a space to be made to moor up.

Sorry to disagree but to me that is speculation.

Absolute out of order No respect at all. It proves what scum is in this world. 

We saw the pictures earlier and absolutely disgusting no need to cause damage to someone’s property.. Let’s hope they get caught by the Authorities and acted on.. As they like the colour blue let’s hope they enjoy the colour of a blue flashing police light outside there door.. 

• Like 2

Just now, floydraser said:

Sorry to disagree but to me that is speculation.

its a question, we can argue the semantics of it, but the main intent of this post is to give people a heads up, and hopefully to allow anyone who may have witnessed the vandalism to report it to the correct authorities.

rather than to call out a moderator for being less careful about the wording of his original notice.

Firstly, the couple who owns the boat are the most polite easy going couple you could wish to meet.  I've known them for an age now. I have just spent a while on the phone with them.  They have supplied me with photo's and their permission to publish them in here and their dialogue.  They have requested their names and boat name are not published for fear of repercussions - That statement in itsen is wrong and tells you a lot

They moored up at 1120 yesterday amongst a throng of fisherman with keepnets who obviously did not want to move.  Having politely requested space and safely moored they went off to the pub with friends of a already berthed craft and to meet others.  1300 back onboard - no issues.  1830 off to the pub for dinner, about eight of them together in the pub.  Back onboard for 2200 - No issues

This morning it was whilst making the first brew that the Lady noticed 'Something' on the outside of the window of the galley, the other windows had curtains drawn.  You can see for yourself what she discovered.  About a Litre of blue gloss paint

The Broads Authority attended and apparently they were great and did what they could.  Asked around and supplied a litre of white spirit, but in reality their hands are tied.

The Police were contacted - Their response? was a crime number and they will ring them on Monday! Well thanks for sweet F.A there then

Mr Boatowner then went round the fisherman asking if anyone of them had seen anything - To a man they said they had seen nothing and could not see anything and didn't know what Mr B.O was on about.  (They could see their fishing floats quite clearly though)  Mr Boatowner stated this morning he felt scared and intimidated and just wanted to get out of there. 

Back to the wetshed and with help they did the best they could to remove the paint but will no doubt be finding it for years

They have cut short their time afloat and are currently on their way home.

Was it fishermen who did this? Was it vandals who did this?  They don't know but have a darned good idea.

If the Broads Authority and police combined don't stamp out this kind of vandalism / attitude / intimidation etc then those moorings will become a 'No-Go' moorings during the 'Out of Season' months.  The boating community will have 'Lost' them, the pub (And shop) will be losing custom too

I'm due to be hopefully be having a maintenance weekend come January - Guess where I'm off to for an overnighter?  I'm not under any circumstances going to give in to a mindless individual(s) who is teddy throwing

Griff

BA NBN 1107.jpg

BA NBN 1108.jpg

BA NBN 1109.jpg

BA NBN 1110.jpg

BA NBN 1111.jpg

BA NBN 1112.jpg

BA NBN 1113.jpg

BA NBN 1114.jpg

BA NBN 1115.jpg

BA NBN 1116.jpg

• Sad 7

Sadly we will never have the facts about this dreadful criminal damage. The police have no resources to investigate and if anyone does know who the perpetrator(s) is/are they will not come forward.

I have the greatest sympathy for the boat owner and sincerely hope they are not put off the boating life we all love. I fear my crew would never feel the same if it happened to us... to the extent that I won't even mention this incident to them 🙁

• Like 2

Well i for one hope that the police, the authorities, vigorously pursue the perpetrators of this dreadful incident. An incident which must have been heartbreaking for the owners of the boat. The damage will cost hundreds of pounds if not thousands to rectify. I am also aware of the emotional trauma these people have gone through. 

This behaviour must be stopped before it escalates and those responsible held accountable.

• Like 3

its a question, we can argue the semantics of it, but the main intent of this post is to give people a heads up, and hopefully to allow anyone who may have witnessed the vandalism to report it to the correct authorities.

rather than to call out a moderator for being less careful about the wording of his original notice.

Fair enough, heads up, semantics, but I called you out for doing exactly what you call others out for. If your main intent was a heads up, stick to that, no speculation. 

Anyways, it's no secret I don't agree with the way the site is moderated, that's my problem, but I do understand you all do what you think is best, so I genuinely wish you all a happy new year. 

Apologies for derailing a very serious situation.

• Like 1

At Neatishead and Irstead your can guarantee hostility with the fishing fraternity if you try to moor in the fishing season and I have been wary of leaving the boat for any amount of time. It is time now to ban fishing at these moorings as these people have taken over.

• Like 4

Griff,

In your post you mention that Mr Boat Owner on discovering this criminal damage "asked the fishermen if they saw anything or knew anything about what had happened" they said they knew nothing.

From this I assume that this was he same fishermen as were there the day before  so maybe it was an organized event.

Just a thought

Jeff

• Like 1