Roadworks 2022

TheQ

The A11 works seem to be progressing far quicker than the A14 works that's for sure, never seemed to see anything happening on the A14 but the A11 bits always look busy, I reckon there may be proper penalty clauses in place that they somehow dodged for the A14 job, I wonder if covid voided the penalty clause for the A14.

19 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

The A11 works seem to be progressing far quicker than the A14 works that's for sure, never seemed to see anything happening on the A14 but the A11 bits always look busy, I reckon there may be proper penalty clauses in place that they somehow dodged for the A14 job, I wonder if covid voided the penalty clause for the A14.

The signage on the A14 changed several times during the works.  They were set up shortly before we moved to Norfolk from Northampton and it originally showed the finish date to be August 2021.  This was pushed back several times to November 2021, then June 2022, November 2022 and finally December 2022.

The cynic in me is thinking that the contractors are now congratulating themselves for finishing before the last updated and signposted completion date, having finished in November.  Aside from issues obtaining materials, I cannot see any logical reason for them to have taken as long as they did, but again cynical me has wondered whether extending the works and retaining the ‘safety’ cameras was simply to slow the traffic and possibly generate some income through fines for speeding motorists.

From where we live now, I can get to Brundall without using the A11, so have no idea how the work is progressing, but it seems planning for the Thickthorn roundabout improvements has been granted, so those works will soon take over from the current ones as a cause for traffic disruption for anyone using that route to access some of the counties attractions.

• 3 weeks later...

Been meaning to post this for a couple of weeks.

There is persistent rumour around these parts that the Average Speed Cameras on the A149 from Potter to Cats Common do not function.

I have never had the nerve to test this rumour so have always stuck to the 60 or 50 limits since the cameras have been there.

I did however recently see people doing work on these cameras so may it serve as a warning to anyone returning to the area after a seasonal absence who has been taking any notice of local rumours.

Years ago shortly after those cameras were installed you mentioned, I got three 'Points make prizes' in my previous van.  My lawbreaking was that I was doing 56mph in a 60mph zone.

Yes, I was ignorant of the fact that LCV's can only do 50mph in a marked 60mph zone.  Never been caught since in my van, one learns.

Only last Saturday my licence became clean once again.  That was an SP30 won in MrsG's old Focus here in Donny crept to 44mph in a 40mph zone on a dual carriageway - mobile speed camera got me on that occasion.  The challenge now is to see how long I can keep it clean.

Surprisingly I have never won any points when astride the mighty Tiger, probably because by the time the camera has taken the photo - I am long gone  :default_icon_liar: :default_norty:

Griff

8 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Years ago shortly after those cameras were installed you mentioned, I got three 'Points make prizes' in my previous van.  My lawbreaking was that I was doing 56mph in a 60mph zone.

I'm guessing this website must be referring to you then!!! :default_norty:

"Speed Camera Details: SPECS average speed zone sited on A149 between Potter Heigham and Wayford, speeds change from 50mph to 60mph, several camera's along that stretch, they are working as friend was ticketed for doing 56mph in a transit in the 60mph zone."

https://www.speedcamerasuk.com/database/EEN/een066.htm

According to data from the Norfolk Police website the cameras on the A149 were active and caught people speeding for the first two years 2010 and 2011, then they were unusable for two years, then they were active for every year until 2021 and 2022 when no one was prosecuted suggesting they were inactive for the last two years.

Speed cameras sites are chosen when a certain threshold is met for fatal or serious accidents in the area. The sad tragedy that happened earlier on this year has more than likely prompted the recommissioning of the cameras again. Although the sad fact is that in that case I doubt if the outcome would have been any different even if the cameras had been working.

I always treat any camera as active as you just never know if they are or not and generally are placed in accident black spots anyway.

The most active camera in Norfolk for 2022 is at the A134 Bury Road Thetford which has so far caught 7797 people.

If you observe the chain of cameras there is one that is different to the others.. 

That is the one just South of Catfield, it has lights on high and a cabinet at its base.

I believe that that camera has been set up to work independently, and is the only one that has worked..

Although the Thickthorn changes and the proposed dual carriageways either side of the Southern Bypass have been allocated the money and have approval, it looks as though further delay will occur as the "Green Warriors" have got involved and are lodging judicial reviews.

Someone somewhere will find that someone will have forgotten to put a comma in the right place, so all bets are off for the time being. Oh how these geeks love to waste time and money and more people have to die at these choke points - both bits need dualling so dangerous junctions are blocked off, but no, we have to waste more time and money whilst the Greens have their say - they have crowd funded the costs believe it or not,  although I doubt those inconvenienced one way or another will have contributed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aboattime said:

I got done in the road behind the Recruiting Seargeant by a mobile camera van.I was doing 34 in a 30 mph zone.Did a speed awarness course as punishment.:default_icon_twisted:

Hi Kevin. Barbara was driving my car slightly over the limit when I spotted a camera van. I shouted watch out there’s a camera van to which she replied, What camper van, what are you talking about? Luckily she must have been just under limit for a speeding ticket.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2