Roadworks 2022

TheQ

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

I was in the jam behind that at the flower shop when told, the jam went back past the railway bridge. Having already been in a traffic jam on Fifers way, and another up to the Coltishall NDR roundabout, where traffic was backing up off the Colitshall road so there was something up there too.. So I diverted Via Acle, was very late home..

The road is clear this morning..

I was also caught up in this one but I was going towards Norwich.

Managed to divert at the roundabouts.

The hold up in Coltishall was a set of traffic lights that have been left over from previous work and not been taken down AGAIN. :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

• Sad 1

Quite impressive damage to the freemasons hall, where the car went off the road in Wroxham, no skid marks looks like they just swerved off ramming the building and causing the gas leak..

For bad news just up hill from there on the other side of the road is a new set of  markings on the road, expect another hole int eh ground more traffic lights and hold ups some time..

49 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Quite impressive damage to the freemasons hall, where the car went off the road in Wroxham, no skid marks looks like they just swerved off ramming the building and causing the gas leak..

For bad news just up hill from there on the other side of the road is a new set of  markings on the road, expect another hole int eh ground more traffic lights and hold ups some time..

I wondered if one had rolled down from a house opposite - looks a good square thump to the wall. Incident only reports single vehicle

• Like 1

New roadworks in Wroxham, just down hill from the Avenue, they were setting up the lights as I went through this morning.

Outside Tescos loading bay Stalham, new traffic lights, they are digging up the newly laid tarmac pavement for which we had traffic lights before, to put in a dropped pedestrian kerb , right on the corner of Upper Staithe Road, less than 50 foot from the, as yet not commissioned, pedestrian  crossing..

Also I notice just on the south side of the Wroxham railway bridge, the manhole cover is moving and the tarmac is breaking up, expect road works there too.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Does anyone have an update on the contra-flow at Wymondam? Is it in place? Is it worth avoiding?

I am thinking about coming over tomorrow, mid morning.

Thanks in anticipation.

Preparations were in place a couple of weeks ago with loads of sets of average speed cameras as well as cctv cameras.  I think I heard on the local news that it all kicks off for real today, though.

• Thanks 1

I think they are trying to cut off Stalham....

Upper and lower Staithe Roads are closed except for access,

The road works and lights Between Macarthy and Stone homes for the misguided, and tesco, still have lights on them with no progress,

And now all the approaches to the mini roundabouts at the bottom of Stalham High street have cones and signs in waiting. Couldn't see what  the signs say , but no doubt that will be revealed when I go home tonight..

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

I think they are trying to cut off Stalham....

Upper and lower Staithe Roads are closed except for access,

The road works and lights Between Macarthy and Stone homes for the misguided, and tesco, still have lights on them with no progress,

And now all the approaches to the mini roundabouts at the bottom of Stalham High street have cones and signs in waiting. Couldn't see what  the signs say , but no doubt that will be revealed when I go home tonight..

At least the ones at the junction of St John's and Brumstead Road's have gone.

On 09/05/2022 at 09:17, floydraser said:

Does anyone have an update on the contra-flow at Wymondam? Is it in place? Is it worth avoiding?

I am thinking about coming over tomorrow, mid morning.

Thanks in anticipation.

how were the roadworks,  did you get through ok

4 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Unfortunately, I didn't make the trip due to medical reasons. I'm going to try again next Tuesday. I'll report then unless we hear before.

Looking at traffic on Google Maps, the roadworks are definitely operational with some delays.  I’ll be using a different route from our home near Watton when we head to the boat, so have no intention of going to look, but if the contra flow is in place, it certainly won’t be good, especially when someone has a bump or breaks down in it.

• Like 1

Do any members from further North know what Sutton Bridge is like???

I think Griff mentioned it took an hour to get through.

If that is the case I shall go via Wisbech. I am going just North of Skegness, if I was heading for Yorkshire I would do my usual and pickup the A1 at Peterborough via Fakenham.

Ref  the last post re the A11, I think you can forget that for the best part of a couple of years now. Sadly it means any trip south will have to be via the A140/A12 - I almost hate the A140 as much as the A17 but I had better get used to it!!! Actually could die before they finish that bit of road rebuilding - add that to Mildenhall and the Thickthorn if they get the go ahead, and I doubt if I shall ever use the A11 again before I peg it!!!!!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, marshman said:

. . . . .  . .  .  Actually could die before they finish that bit of road rebuilding - add that to Mildenhall and the Thickthorn if they get the go ahead, and I doubt if I shall ever use the A11 again before I peg it!!!!!

There’s nothing like being optimistic . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . and that was nothing like being optimistic.  😁

Thanks Charlie, I would appreciate an update. Which ever way I go to Wisbech it adds a fair distance.

My problem is that I am going in my manual car, if I was going in my automatic it would not matter. My left knee dislikes the long clutch riding in traffic jams.

Our journey usually takes 1 hr 15. Today it took us 1 hr 50.  After looking at traffic reports before we set off we saw that there was issues already at Mildenhall so forgot about the A11 right from the start and went A14, A143, A140 onto A47 near Postwick and went to Stalham via Acle. Down to one lane near the Acle roundabout.  Kept moving the whole journey but painfully slow along the A143 and A140.   Listened to traffic news all the way and the A11 issues were regularly mentioned. This isn’t boding well for my soon to be commute from Norfolk to Cambridge once a week 😞

• Sad 1