Not Nice!

There are times when it is better to find a safe harbour to sit the weather out before a storm comes in,

but at least in the UK we have the RNLI to help if things go wrong.

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be out in those seas,

and the RNLI crews (except for the Coxwain) volounteer to do it!

They certainly deserve our respect (and donations)!

There is a bit more about it on the RNLI web-site:

http://www.rnli.org.uk/rnli_near_you/news/news_detail?articleid=720747

"The 24m former Brixham sailing trawler, Leader, was a mile south of Portland Bill when the alarm was raised. The volunteer crew were launched at 5.43pm following reports that the vessel, with 16 people onboard, required immediate assistance. Conditions were tricky with a force 7 west south westerly wind, a rough sea and rain. The wind speed was around 35 knots, gusting up to 40 knots at times."

A mile south of Portland Bill would put her right in the Portland Tide Race, and the sea state in the race can be terrifying even in good weather.

Reminds me of a day in the 70's when the fishing boat I was on was towed into harbour in high winds when the engine failed to start,the sight of the lifeboat was very welcoming,from that day ,I have always supported the lifeboats and always donate to such a worthy cause.