Hi All, I Am Considering Booking A Holiday On The Broads But Dont Know Whether To Hire A Cruiser, As Opposed To A One Level Flatter Boat.

Smifco

This would mean that I probably would not be able to get under most of the low bridges, which is not really a problem as long as I hire a boat from a boatyard that is situated in an area where I would be able to sail a reasonable distance without encountering such a bridge. Is this feasible? 

Also as you can probably tell I have never sailed in my life so I am trying to research as much as I can first, hence joining this forum. I am told from other sources that the Southern Broads might be better for me as a novice as it's supposed to be less crowded during the late season ( Sept,Oct,Nov) but there are fewer pubs, villages, sights, etc to see?

Anyway I am open to any and all suggestions from where to hire a boat and what type would be best for 3 adults and anything else that might be useful to me, so if you can help I would be very grateful.

ps my membership is still awaiting approval so I hope I will be able to see any replies.

Quick question, how attached to your home comforts are you and your crew?
Almost all of the centre steer cruisers will navigate most bridges ( even Beccles old Bridge ) even though they tell you it won’t. IT WILL.

The fly bridge monstrosities ( sorry bias showing) don’t. End of.

Try looking at Martham Boats. Their jubilee class et all All navigate ALL BRIDGES.

That means you can go wherever you wish.

There are hundreds of well appointed centre steer cruisers so have a look. 
The view from the one level ones are not quite so nice 

Martin

• Like 3

Love all of the broads, so much so I live here now in Martham. As Malanka said many broads  boats are centre cockpit and will go under most bridges.Southern broads are not as busy as Northern  broads.However tides are stronger ,there's probably  as many pubs on the south, many of which are very nice,so too very nice Restaurants. Plus Norwich always worth a visit.If you've  not been boating before don't go for a very a boat that's too large.

• Like 1

Hiya, firstly I would suggest the North side of the broads for a first time hirer. Maybe wait until late Sept so not as busy, but the tides and hence the lesser flow is less of  an issue. Also, a few extra boats about may be an advantage. Most people are more than happy to help and advise.  If you plan for a week ( 2 weeks maybe the next time) then you can do lots of cruising without having to worry too much about bridges. Check when hiring it you can get under Wroxham  bridge and then you won't have any problems.  ( Only canoes can get under potter heigham 😂😂😂)

• Like 1

During “the season” a cruiser with an airdraft of 8”6 or less will traverse all of the Northern river bridges except Potter, Wroxham and Wayford although you may have to wait for low water at Ludham , going for a “bathtub” will open Wroxham and Wayford up for you but unlikely Potter.

As has been already said Marthams offerings will pass all the bridges but the sacrifice is that you will lose some of the creature comforts found in a more modern grp cruiser .

Much is dependant on how many will be in your party and what comforts and aids you’re after .

I too would recommend the Northern rivers for your first experience , yes they are busier ,but minimal tides so easier for inexperienced crews plus if one of your crew is elderly or less mobile there isn’t any difficulty caused by having to step up or down from the boat which can be quite a chasm on the South.

Have a look on YouTube at the various blogs and boat tours many by The London Rascal which give a very good idea of different craft 

• Like 1

September to November it's quieter on all the broads.  the kids have gone back to school. Just avoid half term.

There are a lot more places to go on the northern, rather than the southern broads.

Note, if you want to go to GY, stop at Acle and get the bus or train. The river south east of Stokesby is fairly boring, and more importantly mooring on the Broads Authority moorings at GY is a real handful except at high or low tide as the current is very strong there.

Although I've only used Martham boats for 3 separate one night stays, I'm highly impressed with them, they have everything I want..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

As has been already said Marthams offerings will pass all the bridges but the sacrifice is that you will lose some of the creature comforts found in a more modern grp cruiser

you sacrifice some modern comforts (they do have fridges and heating and you will be offered a tv) but you gain the appreciation of travelling in a beautiful wooden boat with the honey glow of the wood inside, it really depends what you want, the only problem you have is if you try a wooden boat, you may well end up wanting one.

I used to hire from Marthams, and have probably been under Potter Heigham Bridge more often than most here, unless the weather and tides are perfect, most boats cantt get under Potter heigham most of the time, if you do get under though its very peaceful and beautiful.

• Like 1

September can still be very busy. Lots of people not wanting the mayhem of the school holidays may see September as a good month to go, and I suspect that many private owners may do the same. We have hired in October a number of times. Still reasonable daylight hours and room at most of the moorings - remember that in a hirecraft you have to be moored up by sunset.

Perhaps consider a short break for your first time depending how far away you live. And if you hire from Ferry Marina then that's a great location to start and end your holiday, lots of lovely moorings in easy distance but still plenty of cruising available to you no matter which style of boat you choose. Their prices are all inclusive so include your fuel and damage waiver - worth remembering if you start comparing to other yards. And also worth booking direct with any of the yards. Dependent on budget Richardson's have a really good choice of all sizes, styles and prices depending on what you are hoping for.

• Love 1

Our first hire was a short break with Ferry Marina in March. It was a pretty chilly March but I’ve always found Ferry Marina’s boats heating systems very efficient. It was very quiet on the rivers and I found the boat easy to handle. We hired Turquoise Emblem. I’ve always preferred low airdraft boats as I would find it very frustrating not to be able to get under several of the bridges. 

• Like 1

For your first time, I’d go for a flattie or for those weird people, a bathtub. 
easy access at all points of mooring, vision (even stern on, just lean out of window) makes this type of boat very user friendly. 
seen too many new hands struggling to get off high sides or being in one particular angle to be able to get off to moor. 

• Like 4

I'd go for a cruiser, the bathtub type boats are very low in water and the view over the reeds will be extremely restricted. The first boat we hired was Siesta which has a height of 8ft 6, the view was really good. (Pain in the **** trying to get it under Ludham bridge though)

• Like 1

Never found the view from a bath tub a problem, hired several and now own one. In terms of comfort, space and getting on and off they cannot be beaten. Add to that being able to go anywhere with the exception of PH, you have a good all round boat. No problems at Ludham Bridge so the best part of the Northern rivers is open to you, highly recommended.

• Like 6

This a subject that will always be debated, and everyone has their own opinion and preference. Ultimately, you will need to decide what works best for you but hopefully you will get some useful pointers here.

Firstly Let's look at boat types. You mentioned the single level type, which have the advantage of being spacious, easy access from the front and back and able to pass under most bridges so allow access to more of the rivers. The disadvantage is that you are sitting closer to the water so you are looking at the bank rather than over it. I also find the steering position right at the front slightly more challenging, but that could just be my lack of skill! Richardsons Moon Adventure is an example of this type.

The other extreme is the dual steer like Richardsons Bolero. This has the advantage of an outside steering position if the weather is good and sitting high up, you will get a good view over the banks. The downside is that there are some bridges that you definitely will not get under, however how much this will limit a first ever visit is questionable. I confess, I have booked Bolero for my holiday this year.

The compromise is a centre cockpit boat, with a sliding roof, such as Broadsman which will still get under most bridges, but you do sit up higher to enjoy the view.

Hope that helps,

David

• Like 1

or a centre cockpit wooden cruiser from Marthams that will get under all of the bridges (most of the time) though they wont have got under Martham with the recent high water levels and a bridge clearance under 5 foot this week, I have gone through with their pilots at under 5'10"

The ex swancraft single level boats are definitely some of the best bathtub ever built on the broads. Fitted out very nicely. That said they have been at Stalham now for a few years and I've no idea what they are like internally, but doubt you'd be disappointed. They do seem to be incredibly popular and book solidly year after year, so I guess that's proof of a good thing. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to book one but your probably to late for this coming season. 

• Like 2

I’ve booked Swan Reflection for a weekend in March. You’re right. They’ve been at Richardson’s since 2016 and get really booked up. When I looked last week May, June and July were mostly taken but there was availability in August. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andyg said:

The ex swancraft single level boats are definitely some of the best bathtub ever built on the broads. Fitted out very nicely. That said they have been at Stalham now for a few years and I've no idea what they are like internally, but doubt you'd be disappointed. They do seem to be incredibly popular and book solidly year after year, so I guess that's proof of a good thing. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to book one but your probably to late for this coming season. 

Couldn't agree more. Richardsons really knew what they were doing when they snapped those up. 

Swancraft were not only great build quality but one of the few yards that really listened to customers and  put a lot of thought into their builds. They didn't penny pinch or cut corners either. 

For example customers expect plenty of hot water and electric power. Swancraft used quality double battery banks and excellent charging systems. No tiny calorifiers either, the tank on Swan Radiance looked like a domestic one. Superb boats. 

When the lottery comes up I'd love to get Swancraft to build me a boat but unsuprisingly they are booked up for the foreseeable!! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Couldn't agree more. Richardsons really knew what they were doing when they snapped those up. 

Swancraft were not only great build quality but one of the few yards that really listened to customers and  put a lot of thought into their builds. They didn't penny pinch or cut corners either. 

For example customers expect plenty of hot water and electric power. Swancraft used quality double battery banks and excellent charging systems. No tiny calorifiers either, the tank on Swan Radiance looked like a domestic one. Superb boats. 

When the lottery comes up I'd love to get Swancraft to build me a boat but unsuprisingly they are booked up for the foreseeable!! 

I remember Clive saying they were to good not to buy. God quality luxury boats. Fantastic purchase for richardsons. Tbh I don't like the old dual steer Alphacraft boat that was in the fleet. But again it seems to let really well....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Totally agree, our Alpha 36 was Swancraft built for the previous owner and everything is so well thought out. Also, as Alpha were next door, Paul Crampton of Swancraft (Shadow Boat Builders), was able to keep an eye on the lay up in the mould. Any maintenance queries we have are swiftly answered by Paul, who knows the boat inside out, as until we bought her she was moored and maintained there in Brundall.

We moor her with Clive, who bought most of the Swancraft fleet when that company stopped their hire fleet, as he recognised what good boats they are.

• Like 1