Different Red / Blue Gas Bottles

Andrewcook

One is Propane one is Butane. They use different regulators and propane is left hand threaded.

Most modern cooking appliance can run on either with the correct regulator.

Butane can and will fail in low temperatures as the liquid gas will stay liquid.

Blue bottled Camping Gaz is a mixture of both gases to overcome the problems of methane at low temperature and they have their own regulators.

If the correct regulator is used the gas should be delivered to the appliance at the correct pressure.

Oh, and there is also a new Calor product called BioLPG but I don't know what it is.

Propane boils at -42C, Butane at -2C so for outside, caravans and boats used during Winter it is best to use Propane. Don't know about the BioLPG

My understanding is that butane is generally a little bit cheaper per bottle so a lot of the fleets use it because when you're buying hundreds of bottles it makes a big difference.

Propane works much better in the winter and if you're only buying a bottle or two a year the prices makes little difference.

I've not had a problem with butane on my current or previous boats and have been out down to minus5c.

Bottles are in a covered locker and under a canopy so that must help and being on board means heating is likely to be running, some heat will get through from engine bay too.

I'd probably not get a coffee on arrival but once a short way along the river always been fine.

• Like 1