Carving Knives Being Blunt

Andrewcook

If you don't take you own knives especially at the start of the season make sure there is a Bread Knife. One year we had a really nice crusty load & low and behold 2 carving knives - Totally spoiled the experience my crew who were 11 at the time were less than impressed with chunks of bread!

I have one of those little knife sharpeners and take it everywhere with me.   Other half never understands but I sharpen everything when I get on board.    Like others I always take frying pan , sharp knife, also take a can opener, wooden spoon, small whisk, my own knives and forks and turner tongs to turn over the bacon with.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hylander said:

I have one of those little knife sharpeners and take it everywhere with me.   Other half never understands but I sharpen everything when I get on board.    Like others I always take frying pan , sharp knife, also take a can opener, wooden spoon, small whisk, my own knives and forks and turner tongs to turn over the bacon with.  

I'm with you there - when we hired we built up a 'boat bag' which included a small carborundum stone, duct tape, WD40 and a Leatherman multi-tool.

When I ran pubs, Whitbread had a sharpening service, that used to arrive every month and take away one set and bring you back last moths collection.

The guy regularly called but never took anything from us.

On time he asked me why, I handed him a paring knife, which he duly checked. Blast that's sharp he said. I hope so I sharpened it this morning. Where did you learn that! My Uncle was a butcher he taught me how.

He also taught me good quality knives and quality steels. French possibly second best. But couldn't beat Sheffield steel for sharpness. Pity so many have gone by the wayside.

• Like 2