Who. Gives Way At Ludham Plus

Andrewcook

My understanding is that if you are travelling toward those bridges against the tide you should give way to craft coming the other way as it’s easier for you to stop and hold station. So craft travelling with the tide should have right of way.

Happy to be corrected if that’s wrong. 

• Like 11

I believe, strictly speaking, the boat going against the tide gives way to the one opposite on the basis that against the tide you have better control. In practice  however, the story might be different and depend on who's nearest to the bridge and who's the more considerate.

• Like 1

My understanding is that if you are travelling toward those bridges against the tide you should give way to craft coming the other way as it’s easier for you to stop and hold station. So craft travelling with the tide should have right of way.

Bang on correct.  How many hirers and private owners actually know this though I reckon would be minimal

However the normal practise is for ever who arrives first or is closer to the bridge tends to go through first, which makes sense

Griff

• Like 2

It has to be one of the most entertaining spots on the broads. 😀😀. I have seen a few incidents of two boats going for it at the same time.  I’ve sat at the boatyard side waiting to get through, with 4 or 5 boats just coming through while I was put to the test in breezy conditions, trying to stay still.  A fair few boats were behind me and we were running out of space. Eventually I had to go for it, and an irate pilot was flapping his arms around at me. I smiled and waved, looked behind me and another 2 had followed me through. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi can any one tell me who does gives way at Ludham Bridge and at Wroxham as there's No sign at either end of these Bridges to say who have the Right of way 

I've driven over both these bridges and never had to give way to anyone :default_laugh: (sorrreee - couldn't resist!) :default_hiding:

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Yup, it’s a bit like holding a door open, everyone seems to charge through. 
I also go on the idea that on the boatyard side you have less vision forward and space. Holding position there is entertaining. 
Generally, I let a couple through then I go for it.
worse was when a boat stopped to take photos. 
Fruity language was issued  

• Like 1

I would add that giving way to oncoming tide is much like give way to the right on the road, subject to no lights ,But the one that sounds his horn has taken right of way and must be given right of way. As with many things not perfect but better than a free for all. John

In 2019 we were about to go through Ludham Bridge heading towards Barton Broad, when we saw a big Richardson 45 sun deck version trying to come through the other way. It was getting near low water and they were going very slowly as clearance was going to be tight. They were therefore doing everything correctly.

We kept well over to our side of the river, but a hire boat immediately behind us started shouting at us to go through and eventually got so angry they rammed into the back of us to try and make us move. Leaving my wife on the helm, I went to the stern and and told him what I thought of his antics and that the passage through the bridge was blocked. He carried on shouting, so I took a photo with his registration, using my phone. He shut up then.

What is wrong with people, they are on holiday, do few minutes really matter.  The Rico 45 eventually thought better of it so backed off and picked up a mooring.

Last summer we decided to spend the school holiday period on the South Broads, as much more relaxing. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1