Outboard Winterisation Help.

For leaving over winter now we have E10 fuel I'd be tempted to run it on the likes of aspen to purge the fuel system as that doesn't go off like regular fuel and shouldn't attack the seals and hoses, use a small amount and let it run out of fuel, it's not cheap but has a shelf life of five years once opened and you won't need much to fill the system.

It makes a hell of a difference in my chainsaw, I can pick it up after standing for a year and a few pumps of the primer and it starts and runs fine, I was forever having to nurse it for ages or clean the carb on regular fuel.

I always kept my mariner 15hp down in the water but I was prone to using regularly all winter as my boat was close to home then, it got iced in a couple of times in a marina lagoon but never had any problems from it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I personally would disconnect the fuel from the engine, leave it running until it stops to ensure there is no fuel left in the engine.

I would also lift the engine out of the water, thus allowing all the water to drain out. I’m not sure why you would leave it in the water to become covered in algae? and have the possibility of any residual water freezing and expanding inside the lower leg.

Also regarding E10 Petrol, I would check with the engine manufacturers to check the use of E10 as not many outboards are compatible to use E10 unless they are fairly new.

• Thanks 1

Hi Follow manufactures advice.Or start up after a few minutes turn fuel of let engine run until fuel used then squirt some RedEx into air inlet while turning engine over,cover/tape inlet then spray WD over engine replace original engine cover with anti theft cover or remove engine and take home or tilt engine out of the water, ideally use fuel before next year and start with fresh E5. John

• Thanks 1