Peters Joy Out And About This Week.

petersjoy

I'm not into holiday stories or blogs but thought a few photo's of our week travelling South to North might be welcome for those of you missing the Broads.

I'll start by mentioning Saturday afternoon while we were still in the yard.

Stephen (quayway boats) had a call about a boat broken down boat at North Cove, He was going to go up there with Moby Dick, a broom ocean 37, he would have had to take the canopy down to get under Beccles road bridge which would be a big Faff in the rain so i said we would take him on ours.

Jump leads at the ready we set off to North Cove and met the boat there, After trying to start him jumping off his leisure batteries, no go, i took my starter battery off to try that, sucess got him running. we both then set off back to Beccles, he was going to the Yacht Station anyway. we went off in front and left him following us slowly.

5 mins later when he was out of sight we got a call, he had stopped again, fuel problem, so back we went, no option but to tow him to Beccles.

This was a 36 foot dutch steel cruiser, tied him up to us and my little tug made a good job of getting him back to Beccles where we left him for the weekend.

I think Stephen was going to see him today to help sort him out, dont know the outcome yet.

Anyway photo's of todays cruise from St Olaves to Ranworth next.

• Like 9

Thanks for posting the photos, it looks lovely and peaceful.

I notice there seems to be a work barge or something on the BA moorings at Stokesby. There was something similar there when we passed in November. I wonder if it’s the same one?

A completely different day today. Wet and drizzley all day. left Ranworth about 11am heading for Wroxham, partly to check on a friends boat and a minor hope of getting under the bridge (no chance only 6'3 showing near low tide).now back on Horning staithe, Booked in the Swan for tonights meal.

A few photos of today.

GEDC0017.thumb.JPG.928de48fe5e5a8063426e220a9c761c3.JPG

GEDC0019.JPG

GEDC0020.JPG

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, petersjoy said:

Haha, put another pound in, seem to manage with that for a night.

Was going to comment some tight **** didn't leave anything on.:4_joy:

:default_crying1animated: In over 50+ years of boating on the Broads in both hirecraft and our own I never ever found a space to moor there!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Happy said:

:default_crying1animated: In over 50+ years of boating on the Broads in both hirecraft and our own I never ever found a space to moor there!

50+ years of boating. I am constantly amazed at the number of Old Codgers and those formidable Matriarchs who frequent the Broads. What a wonderful fountain of knowledge and experience. My contribution pales into insignificance. I have met some who are even older. 

Do you know that, not so many years, your average boat yard employee, the young man who showed you how to steer, handle your boat, did not have a car, a motor bike, nothing. Some rarely visited Norwich. He rarely, if ever left his village, some fifty five years ago.

Funny that. The holiday maker knew more about the Broads, its rivers, its secret magical places than the local people. 

I think that some, a very small minority, still do.

Andrew 

• Like 5

Just got back from an evening in the Swan, What can i say, Exellent!! really enjoyed the food the 3 girls serving were really freindly even the manager had a chat with us due to having to deal with what i can only describe as a professional complainer moaning about his meal at the bar before leaving. will definately be calling again whenever we can moor in Horning get there. Only thing i missed due to having a bottle of wine to share with our meal was they had Timothy Taylors Landlord on draught on the bar, only spotted on our way out. Missed that one:default_icon_cry:

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Wussername said:

Do you know that, not so many years, your average boat yard employee, the young man who showed you how to steer, handle your boat, did not have a car, a motor bike, nothing. Some rarely visited Norwich. He rarely, if ever left his village, some fifty five years ago.

The way they've messed the roads up in Norwich I'm regressing to rarely going in myself

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RumPunch said:

The way they've messed the roads up in Norwich I'm regressing to rarely going in myself

It's funny - I'm on the outskirts of NW London, probably 15 miles from Central London. I almost never go into London anymore (socially, shopping etc), and for over 10-15 years probably haven't done more than once a year if that.