Any New Rules On The Broads

Andrewcook

Hi as we are now in 2022 is there any New Rules on the Norfolk Broads for us to observe ? Be nice to the Ladies.  One does come my mind Water Boarding as there was a few on the Broads last year I think that should be banned 🚫 Canoes Boats we should slow down when passing also  to  Rowing Boats I think . Poeple on Sailing Boats should tell Motor Boats which way to pass as some of them don't and just Turn at thier whim as the Motor Cruiser's have to take evasive action to avoid collision. 

3 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

....Water Boarding as there was a few on the Broads last year I think that should be banned .....

I think you mean paddle boarding sir and as an enthusiastic paddle boarder can I offer you your first raspberry of 2022 :default_smiley-taunt014:

• Like 1

Why on earth would you want to ban one of the most environmentally friendly activities/ water sport(s) ?

I personally think the broads should be for everyone to enjoy, this activity should be encouraged, as todays paddle boarder’s maybe tomorrow’s Motor Boat / Sail Boat owners.

therefore tomorrow’s custodian’s of these waterways.

• Like 4

please do slow down passing paddle boards though, as last year I offered assistance to one that had been unprepared for the wash of a passing cruiser and had been given an early bath. later I acrually did assist a fisherman in a canoe who had overreached and turned turtle, I guess I will never know if he managed to retrieve his rods and gear, we did get him reunited with his canoe and seat and paddle and the canoe emptied and back the right way up.

• Like 5

Dosent make sense, you say you don't have a problem, then go on to list one. So you do have a problem with them 🤔 personally I don't think there's any place for paddle borders anywhere ear Wroxham or the bridge area. It's an accident waiting to happen. I believe there should be designated areas for them to enjoy there pass time. Amongst dozens of 40ft plus powered craft isn't. But that just my take on it...

• Like 1

the only problem I ever had with paddle boarders was moored up at deep dyke above potter, about 7pm when most respecting craft were moored up for the night, and I was on Jayne, from Marthams, it was my last night and I was having a shower. Now at this point I must point out that Jayne has an outdoor toilet, you go into the well deck and re-enter the toilet. so 7pm, I step out of the shower wearing a towel, and find myself face to face with 20 paddle boarders out for a early evening paddle, I dont know who was more embarrased, me or them.

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Tobster said:

The problem is always going to be in the popular areas like Wroxham, Oulton Broad & Thorpe, because of things like parking and access to launch.

Education is the way forward in my opinion.

Trouble is, you can’t teach stupid sadly.  Cars and cyclists have shared the roads for years and still you see cyclists with no lights, jumping red traffic lights, no hand signals when turning, riding on the pavement and more.  Granted, car drivers are no angels either, but I have to agree with @andyg and say that there are areas where paddle boarders ought to stay away from, like around Wroxham.  There are plenty of quiet areas for them to enjoy their hobby and not be a danger to other river users.

• Like 1

I did go to check on a paddle boarder once near the newcombe sand bouy south of lowestoft as I assumed he had got pushed too far out, got a big grin and a thumbs up so I carried on down the coast keeping the speed down till well clear, he was about 2NM out to sea on the edge of the main approach channel for lowestoft.

I called lowestoft port control to let them know he was out there so they could warn any outbound craft as he wasn't easy to spot.

Some are just awaiting a darwin award but I don't think that's a reason to ban them at all.

41 minutes ago, NotDeadYet said:

Paddle boarders are much easier to spot and avoid than the other, lower examples of personal water transport, as well as swimmers.  However, like AndyG, they all worry me in congested places - I really don't want to hurt anyone, by accident, anyway.

They are until they get tired/bored and sit down. One new rule could be to make them have a tall flexible mast at the rear with a flag on.

Interesting comparison with cyclists; I wonder how long it will be before we see a paddleboarder bristling with Gopros, deliberately getting in among the cruisers then posting it all on Youtube.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, andyg said:

Dosent make sense, you say you don't have a problem, then go on to list one. So you do have a problem with them 🤔 personally I don't think there's any place for paddle borders anywhere ear Wroxham or the bridge area. It's an accident waiting to happen. I believe there should be designated areas for them to enjoy there pass time. Amongst dozens of 40ft plus powered craft isn't. But that just my take on it...

The Rivers belong to no one and everyone has as much right to use them, personally I think anyone that cycles or uses e-scooters in London (other cities) are available is asking for trouble but the authorities will tell us otherwise.

Fred

2 hours ago, floydraser said:

Interesting comparison with cyclists; I wonder how long it will be before we see a paddleboarder bristling with Gopros, deliberately getting in among the cruisers then posting it all on Youtube.

along with all the gopros on the cruisers maybe?

1 minute ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi Chelsea14Ian Yes I agree to what you have suggested but as to Private People paying their New Boating Tolls for 2022 they would have been notified of any New Rules if any? For 2022  as to the New Boating Season starting up once again very soon for Hiring Boating Yards  

As new bye laws would require an act of parliament what new rules would you anticipate.

Fred

Paddle boarders I don't have a problem with, you can see them, though paddling through the middle of a regatta  in the middle of a river isn't the best Idea. Which is why on rescue boat duties I go and ask them to stick to the bank. I've not had a refusal once I've told them why..

Horning sailing club even has a paddle boarders section.

What is worse are swimmers, swimming down the river Towing a little orange float, the float is hard enough  to see, let alone someone wearing all black wetsuit in front of it. 

As for rule changes No I'm not expecting any ... But what we do get is new "interpretations" of what is written in law..

Where we moor at Horning Marina, there is a paddle board school, who go out early evening each day when the river gets quieter. It's professionally run and a joy to watch whilst having our sundowner sitting on the bow. We see the new people paddle out nervously whilst kneeling down and later returning and standing up, all chatting away. If I was a bit younger I would give it a go.

Great to see a children's groups returning, with the lady instructor following up at the rear and playing 'What's the Time Mr Wolf', - when she calls 'Dinner Time' the kids exude confidence and paddle like crazy back to base to avoid 'Miss Wolf'. 

The broads are for all considerate people to enjoy life.

• Like 7

The Rivers belong to no one and everyone has as much right to use them,

3 hours ago, PaulN said:

Where we moor at Horning Marina, there is a paddle board school, who go out early evening each day when the river gets quieter. It's professionally run and a joy to watch whilst having our sundowner sitting on the bow. We see the new people paddle out nervously whilst kneeling down and later returning and standing up, all chatting away. If I was a bit younger I would give it a go.

Great to see a children's groups returning, with the lady instructor following up at the rear and playing 'What's the Time Mr Wolf', - when she calls 'Dinner Time' the kids exude confidence and paddle like crazy back to base to avoid 'Miss Wolf'. 

The broads are for all considerate people to enjoy life.

Sadly, the main rivers, parts of these rivers, and some of the broads are not well suited to Paddle Boarding. Sooner, rather than later, there will be a serious incident involving a Paddle Boarder. I fear for those who indulge in wild swimming, young children who swim with rubber rings and Lillo's in our local rivers and in those Broads that have a high density of traffic.

It will be a brave person who stands in front of the Coroner and states " they had a right".

Our daughter, the custodian of our grandchildren, is a Paddle Boarder, by default a wild swimmer and so are the grandchildren, soon to be teenagers. Perhaps my influence and their  mothers influence, I have never asked, but they have been all over the Broads, however they have never ever used the main rivers, always the upper reaches, to paddle board. 

I have never been on one, but they tell me it is magical on those upper reaches, a wilderness that few ever experience or even know that it exists.

Andrew