jeffbroadslover

Just checked my invoice for my boat in July with Pacific

Cancellation Protection £20

Damage Waver £20

Fouled Prop £10

Rowing Dinghy £25

Pet Charge £45

Fuel deposit £95

No charge for parking 2 cars no charge for dog life jacket!

Not sure how this compares with other yards but seems reasonable to me

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

We like being able to get away more quickly on return of the boat to the yard without waiting for the fuel usage and deposit to be sorted out.

Not sure if it was because of the COVID situation last October but all we were required to do at the end of the holiday was moor up, remove our possessions and be on our way. HW did all the fuel calculations etc in our absence and within 3 days we got our remaining fuel deposit back in our bank account :default_biggrin:

Chris

3 hours ago, RS2021 said:

Many years ago I used be responsible for pricing at the Electricity company I worked for. The one thing customers hated was the Standing Charge (even if there is good reason for it as many costs - especially network costs are fixed) - 'why should we pay it is we don't use much electricity' we used to hear.

the large proportion of the standing charge goes towards DUOS (Distribution Use of Service) which means that you are paying the owners of the wires that your electricity travels down, so you pay some to the national grid, some to the electricity provider, some to the Network operator (main networks and independent networks. for my company this is where a large portion of our revenue comes in, it may only be about £30 a year income for us but its from every customer fed by our network, and it carries on as long as electricity is being supplied to that customer, no matter who supplies it.

(in return we maintain those wires and reconnect them if there is a fault or damage, as well as any substations etc thta are in use)

this is one of the reasons that some of the really cheap electricity providers went bust, they were providing the electricity so cheaply and were not paying the distribution networks their cut, so when they were suddenly asked to pay it, they realised they had priced it too cheaply and were making a loss on it, so dont blame the economy for their demise, they were just trying to cheat the people supplying the electricity to them and the network owners from their cut.

oops sorry for the further divergence of this topic.

6 hours ago, CeePee1952 said:

Not sure if it was because of the COVID situation last October but all we were required to do at the end of the holiday was moor up, remove our possessions and be on our way. HW did all the fuel calculations etc in our absence and within 3 days we got our remaining fuel deposit back in our bank account :default_biggrin:

Ah that wasn’t the case at Richardson’s in October. As I recall it was the usual wait for the refill and take the form to the office to settle up one way or the other. 

• Like 1

If anyone finds themselves at the end of a holiday with 3/4 tank of diesel they have paid for they could always pump it out and sell it to me for 75p/litre if they feel robbed.... :default_icon_twisted: (I doubt I'd be the only taker)

Don't try syphoning it, you'll probably drown and pollute the river with diesel.

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

We are having to re-evaluate our Lads week costs where red diesel is concerned.  Four large cruisers.

The hire boats fuel deposit is £175 per boat when we booked them, I can see that being raised £200 right now and higher come October.  If it goes up to say £250 per boat that equates to an extra £300 between twenty four crew which is only £12:50 each.  In reality it'll be less than that of course as 'B.A' is fuelled from cheaper sources like Sutton Staithe, and she uses less Dino juice than the hire boats too (More fuel efficient)

Not an insurmountable issue when you have twenty four separate wallets combining to cover it.  It's gonna be a whole different ball game for families where the cost is coming out of just the one household

Griff

• Like 8