Boat Wanted.

Yes I know boat wanted is a bit of vague and loose ask. To be more specific what I am looking for is a cruiser of around 30feet capable of going under the vast majority of bridges.

There are certain requirements such as minimum 4 berth, be nice to have double that could be made up and left like that without getting in the way of day to day operations.

I am not after a renovation project , as I have enough of these going on as it is.

Have caravanned in the past and see the boat I want as like a caravan minus wheels.

Age is not a great concern if she looks nice and has a few mod cons. If something came along bigger than 30feet I would not dismiss it out of hand.

I know a lot of this is still a bit vague but I have to start somewhere.  Price I would say can be up to £60k more if warranted.

Answering Ray top of budget is £100K but preferably somewhat less. I was quite struck by the Shetland 27s, so yesterday visited Jones boatyard at St Ives to look over a Shetland 245, not for sale but to give me an idea on how it feels. Ticked all the boxes except one. We used to caravan and in the end decided we wanted a permanent bed made up and not have to fuff with putting table is gaps and rearranging cushions, same for the boat.  The 245 has a double at the front but we do not want to be looking at a bed all day so that means there has to be a double somewhere else. So all that is left is a very, very small space on the port side in no way a double . Additionally very little room between ones head and the cockopit floor.  Today looked at Shetland 29 and 27 they all suffer from the same, the classic "coffin berths" I believe they are called.

Now enter the Viking Seamaster 28  and Viking 275. Bit more spartan than the Shetland but do have the option of a full sized double going across the boat with much more space between cockpit floor and ones head. They are doing currently a 295 and 300 so am going to ring them tomorrow as the literature on them is rather limited.

Having seen various boats today and talked to salesman my original thoughts that I had to have an inboard engine would appear to have taken a back seat. Been told by one and all that modern outboards are very quiet, cheaper and much easier maintenance.

So call to Viking in the morning.

I don't know your level of experience so please don't take offence if I'm stating the blindingly obvious.

Outboard engines are fine, perhaps you are well used to them, if not then it's worth considering that a lot of broads moorings are stern on. Can be a bit of a faff and boarding and alighting can be trickier.

Salesmen and I say this without criticism, will say whatever makes the sale.

Many businesses, marine or otherwise will fill a budget if they know it.

Caveat Emptor!

As I say, I haven't the pleasure of meeting you or knowing you so sincere apologies if it  seems to be  patronising, that is not my intent 👍🍺

• Like 3

We had an outboard on our first boat. Absolute nightmare for us personally. We had a stern on mooring and worried about it getting damaged. We didn't get on with the handling (but we were very inexperienced at the time) and I was uncomfortable having to deal with petrol (which I believe Broads boatyards dont sell anymore?).  This was our own personal experience and obviously loads of owners get on fine! 

• Like 1

And no yards sell petrol, as Lulu says, so you have to good access to the boat as you have to carry it! Garages can also limit you to the amount you can put in a can

At the same time they are no that happy on running on this new petrol - fine if you use it regularly like every week but leave it much longer and it may bung your jets up.

Come to think of it, I struggle to think of many benefits of outboards other than initial cost - unlike the old BMC diesel which continues to run and run, I suspect few outboards are running without issues after say 15 years.

Although I am sure there are older ones about, I think I would worry about reliability - but then I am probably wrong again!!!!!

18 hours ago, Ray said:

I don't know your level of experience so please don't take offence if I'm stating the blindingly obvious.

Outboard engines are fine, perhaps you are well used to them, if not then it's worth considering that a lot of broads moorings are stern on. Can be a bit of a faff and boarding and alighting can be trickier.

Salesmen and I say this without criticism, will say whatever makes the sale.

Many businesses, marine or otherwise will fill a budget if they know it.

Caveat Emptor!

As I say, I haven't the pleasure of meeting you or knowing you so sincere apologies if it  seems to be  patronising, that is not my intent 👍🍺

No offence taken at all, not that you said anything offending anyway. Experience on a motor cruiser is NIL. Sailing yachts yes but always with an inboard engine. On looking over a Viking 275 yesterday was pointed out that the two side steps, as shown on attached piccy, offer some protection to the boat and motor when mooring stern on.

viking.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bogart said:

No offence taken at all, not that you said anything offending anyway. Experience on a motor cruiser is NIL. Sailing yachts yes but always with an inboard engine. On looking over a Viking 275 yesterday was pointed out that the two side steps, as shown on attached piccy, offer some protection to the boat and motor when mooring stern on.

viking.jpg

And add to your toll and mooring costs.  

6 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I know of a princess 30ds for sale at that budget, not only do you get inboard diesel engine but you get a spare ready fitted and run in.

Hi

My only concern with such

6 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I know of a princess 30ds for sale at that budget, not only do you get inboard diesel engine but you get a spare ready fitted and run in.

boat is the height

I am ma1ing a right hash of this reply, not sure how to delete and start again. I have looked up specs of this boat.

Two concerns height and fuel consumption. All look to have a pair. of great big Volvo diesels.