Traditional Broads Cruiser Wanted

Thing to remember is wooden means either skill  like that possessed by Doug or a chunk of available short term wonga, as all wooden boats are a long term project irrespective of the condition  it’s in when you buy it.

It may be that the 6 grand dooer upper is a actually better value than the 90k plus wooden beauty as someone has already paid and then added a profit margin.

Just my two pennies.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Malanka said:

Thing to remember is wooden means either skill  like that possessed by Doug or a chunk of available short term wonga, as all wooden boats are a long term project irrespective of the condition  it’s in when you buy it.

It may be that the 6 grand dooer upper is a actually better value than the 90k plus wooden beauty as someone has already paid and then added a profit margin.

Just my two pennies.

If for arguments sake we had bought Zephyr for £50k she has a second hand engine so would need to replace it then to fit the electrics to the same standard as we currently have. Replace the complete water system including tanks new cooker toilet  heating etc could not be done for another 30k which makes Papaver look like a bargain. It cost the previous owner in excess of £260k to get her to her current standard not including buying her.  We certainly wouldn’t have the boat have given our budget. 

12 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

If for arguments sake we had bought Zephyr for £50k she has a second hand engine so would need to replace it then to fit the electrics to the same standard as we currently have. Replace the complete water system including tanks new cooker toilet  heating etc could not be done for another 30k which makes Papaver look like a bargain. It cost the previous owner in excess of £260k to get her to her current standard not including buying her.  We certainly wouldn’t have the boat have given our budget. 

Always cheaper to buy a fully restored boat than a project I learned that a long time ago. Also the bubble has burst on the last 2 years artificial prices and I think there will be a lot of boats coming to market in 2022 /23 as international travel starts up and people realise the true cost of ownership.

7 minutes ago, crosbyman1958 said:

Also the bubble has burst on the last 2 years artificial prices and I think there will be a lot of boats coming to market in 2022 /23 as international travel starts up and people realise the true cost of ownership.

Remember the raw costs of building a new boat have risen some +40% so this will have a knock on effect with secondhand boats.

9 minutes ago, crosbyman1958 said:

Always cheaper to buy a fully restored boat than a project I learned that a long time ago. Also the bubble has burst on the last 2 years artificial prices and I think there will be a lot of boats coming to market in 2022 /23 as international travel starts up and people realise the true cost of ownership.

I'm sort of hoping that myself, although I'm not in the market for a woody myself but plastic.

In all the years I have had a boat, the price of quality Broads boats has never really turned down because of economic events, of whatever sort. OK they might stop going up but I don't think I can remember a time when the price has actually fallen by a significant amount. The price of any article is impacted by many things but whilst they are building so few new boats, demand will almost always exceeds supply and I cannot see that changing.

OK the market could stagnate a little, but actually go down? I think you guys are dreaming and the more scarce the commodity, the less likely any fall will be seen, so you guys waiting patiently, may have to wait a bit, especially with inflation beginning to rear its ugly head again!:default_icon_e_smile:

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, marshman said:

In all the years I have had a boat, the price of quality Broads boats has never really turned down because of economic events, of whatever sort. OK they might stop going up but I don't think I can remember a time when the price has actually fallen by a significant amount. The price of any article is impacted by many things but whilst they are building so few new boats, demand will almost always exceeds supply and I cannot see that changing.

OK the market could stagnate a little, but actually go down? I think you guys are dreaming and the more scarce the commodity, the less likely any fall will be seen, so you guys waiting patiently, may have to wait a bit, especially with inflation beginning to rear its ugly head again!:default_icon_e_smile:

Yes in 'normal' conditions I would totally agree with you but the last 2 years haven't been normal and everything  - Camper Vans / boats / houses  /  holiday homes / cars  / classic cars etc have all been selling at inflated prices (or at least adverstised at inflated rates) due to peopel having unspent money burning a hole in their pockets and the limited availabilty. Those who usually go on expensive cruises and overseas holidays have been channeling thier cash into other pursutes within the UK but I would bet that the over heated market will slow as fast as it rose in the next 24 months and a lot of people will be left high and dry with expensive investments they didn't really want in the first place...................

• Sad 1

I would guess the first boats to be quickly resold will be the doer uppers which will include those bought at full price but not aware they were doer uppers.

While we were changing boats in 2021 we viewed some  very poor quality vessels offered at premium prices, not project prices.

Thanks to knowledgeable friends and a surveyor we avoided mistakes and finally have a boat that is perfect for us and in good order - we love it. 👍

• Like 6

Rot be it wet or dry doesn’t care about economic conditions or the fuel price driven inflation we are currently experiencing. If anyone remembers 1973 then you’ll know where I am coming from. Malanka suffered terribly from SARS Cov2. We weren’t able to visit or do anything, consequently she was in a state at the beginning of last summer.

She is now being treated for her ills and I personally can’t wait to get her back into the water. We have zero intention of selling her so I couldn’t care less about “inflated prices” or anything else. That’s the beginning and end of it, she costs what she costs and so long as we can afford her we shall do so. If you can’t face potentially extensive maintenance costs when the wee hyphae go nuts every 2/5 years then don’t buy a woodie. 

As Doug says, when we bought Malanka 11 years ago we had to replace the electrics, water tanks, add a toilet etc. Message is the price isn’t always the price. 

• Like 2

A few years ago I got talking to a well known TV personality whilst staying at The Little Ship Club and I asked if what he had said about his previous classic yacht was true in one of his programmes or somewhat tongue in cheek! He assured me it was true:-

Bought £75K

Restoration £500K

When along came another boat that he had to have! So she went on the market:-

Asking price £180K 

Went after some time £85K

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

A few years ago I got talking to a well known TV personality whilst staying at The Little Ship Club and I asked if what he had said about his previous classic yacht was true in one of his programmes or somewhat tongue in cheek! He assured me it was true:-

Bought £75K

Restoration £500K

When along came another boat that he had to have! So she went on the market:-

Asking price £180K 

Went after some time £85K

A few years ago - probably written off as a business loss in an off-shore bank account????

Still, someone had a bargain and a decent boat must live on.