Response To The Amber Weather Warning For Friday 18th February.

27 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

Make sure you are moored up somewhere safe ...

Hmmmm.  I was returning from delivering to Germany on the night we didn’t have a hurricane back in October 1987.  The crossing (on Herald of Free Enterprise) from Zeebrugge was a bit lumpy to say the least and my dinner of steak and kidney pie was beginning to churn as we docked in Dover.  As it turned out, it was the last ferry to berth that night as the port closed shortly after.  I was almost out of hours so parked up near Canterbury overnight, but it was an interesting drive back to base in Milton Keynes early the following morning in strong winds with an empty HGV.

32 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I was returning from delivering to Germany on the night we didn’t have a hurricane back in October 1987.

Graham and I were on the overnight ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe that unforgettable night. The crossing took about twice the amount of time that it should have as the conditions were too bad for the boat to get into port. It just kept circling around off shore. The worse thing was that, when heading into the storm it felt as though the ferry was heading down really big waves, and when it got to the bottom of the trough the whole ship shuddered violently. 

Not something I want to experience again. The only positive is that somehow I managed not to be sick. Felt awful, but didn't actually throw up.  

• Sad 1

All quiet here in Martham  now.Not sure if there was any damage as we stayed  at home,apart from a few small fence slats to our fence.A few sheep got out of a field and had a walk down the road.The farmer was contacted and pleased  to say the sheep are safely back in the field.

Never had sheep walking down the road,however  did have horses 🐎 on the road.

Very sad that three people  lost there lives yesterday. Thoughts go to there family  and friends. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bikertov said:

All calm here in South Hertfordshire today, not a lot of wind at all, just a little bit of rain. 

We went for a walk in Stevenage, then pub lunch. Forecast said it would be fine so we got soaked and then just as we left the pub to walk to the car, the heavens opened. Followed by bright sunshine and a fabulous double rainbow!!!

We drove over to The Bridge Acle for a spot of lunch , excellent fish pie for me and Katie loved her fish and chips , good to see it busy out of season.

Watched a hire boat moor up in the strong winds , surprised the hire yard let them out , Richardson’s have cancelled all this weekends bookings due to the storm and those already afloat were contacted and advised to return to the yard .

Quick note for those that moor in the wet shed , the office is now open on Saturdays if you need electric top up , and will be open Sundays as well from mid March