Old Photos Of Sandersons Hire Boats

Roy

The sanderlings look like interesting boats, as they seem to be an early type of 'sedan' style of cruiser. I've never seen a woody sedan before.

(cue Vaughan, the B.A crew, JanetAnne et al. posting 1000 pictures of woody sedans to prove me completely and totally wrong and ignorant :default_dunce:).

1 hour ago, Bikertov said:

(cue Vaughan, the B.A crew, JanetAnne et al. posting 1000 pictures of woody sedans to prove me completely and totally wrong and ignorant :default_dunce:).

Not at all, I think you're quite right!

The only other one I can find in Blakes catalogue of 1975 is the Woods Flame of Light.

I am not sure where the name "Sedan" came from but I suppose it started with the iconic Bondon's Sancerre, built in about 1978.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Not at all, I think you're quite right!

The only other one I can find in Blakes catalogue of 1975 is the Woods Flame of Light.

I am not sure where the name "Sedan" came from but I suppose it started with the iconic Bondon's Sancerre, built in about 1978.

LOL - I thought with your respected and encyclopaedic knowledge of the broads you may unearth something to prove me wrong !

I guess the term 'Sedan' is quite American.

We (my family) hired a Sancerre on our last and final Broads holiday, probably around the early 80's or so. It was amazing (and very unlike my father to have hired it) compared to the Superline and even Escapade / Waverider we had previously hired c/o Richardsons. I remember it inspired me to dream and draw pictures of boats (very crude kids style, rather than artistic !) using the general form of Sancerre and the sedan style.

Whilst I know a Sedan it is not the typical/traditional Broads style of boat, and struggles/fails with various low bridges, I do really like it.

And in the Sanderlings, I think it has quite a wonderful charm in the original wood and dark blue hull. A combination of traditional build and finish with the more modern look that I guess was 'futuristic' at the time.

You never know, if I ever do get my own boat, one day I might just succumb to the natural material rather than plastic and seek out Sanderling for restoration and future bankruptcy  :default_stinky:

14 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

You never know, if I ever do get my own boat, one day I might just succumb to the natural material rather than plastic

Noooooooooo!

14 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

and future bankruptcy

What do you mean "future"? It won't take that long.

• Haha 2

Beaver Fleet 'Generation' must have been a bit earlier than the Sancerre?

There's also an early Powles sedan in f/glass but I can't remember it's design name.

In the meantime,  I reckon the Sanderling could well have been the first sedan. Not sure there are many left now as the one stored at Wayford met the digger during that yard clearance after John left. 

Hi 

I thought there was a sedan class in the 40s or 50s I will have to investigate further possibly Thorpe based Wards or someone similar. The beaver fleet new Generation appeared in 72/3 onwards. Bondons built 16 hire Sancerres between 77 and 80. I don't know much about Powles however they definitely built a number of private sedans in the late 70s and some Powles 33 went on hire from 77/78 as Supermores and Penton Hook Marine. Pacific cruisers had a couple. The Bounty 34 traveller also appeared in 1978 possibly on the Thames first.

Neil

Hi Wherry Nice,

Yes that's the one, a class of about 6 according to Broadland Memories website. My Dad told me about it, everytime I told him about a new fangled design in the 70s or 80s he would claim they had a class like it in the 40s or 50s. He hired Delight, Dancing Light, various Hearts boats then Lucky Quest between 1947 and 1954

Neil

• Like 1

Webntwebb, Looks like Classic cruisers may have had the first Grp and wood sedan as they appear to date back to about 1970/1, didn't realize Flame of Light came from Thorpe as Barracuda.I believe the Silverline 27 Silver Melody from 2006 is loosely based on this design.

Neil

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

In the meantime,  I reckon the Sanderling could well have been the first sedan. Not sure there are many left now as the one stored at Wayford met the digger during that yard clearance after John left. 

From what I can see, there were only 4 Sanderlings built, looking at the Broads boat database. 

2 hours ago, Bikertov said:

From what I can see, there were only 4 Sanderlings built, looking at the Broads boat database.

That's right. We hired 3 of them in the early 70s. Lovely little boats. 20 feet long, and i too always said they were ahead of their time. Even though it was a sedan, I can't recall ever having trouble getting under the bridges - even Wroxham. Here we're moored at Yarmouth - not the Yacht Station - the bit that's now set aside for Yachts.

2011-07-08_49.JPG

• Like 3

The first two A. G. Ward sedan cruisers appeared in 1951 as per scan, eventually becoming a class of eight. In the early 60s the class was sub divided into two with four being fitted with an extra single berth in the fore cabin. At around the same time they lost their all over varnish finish for a white enamelled hull with a blue streamline flash.

Fred

lor c 3.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I think they let the pictures do the talking nowadays. Many more photos (usually) online. Information such a the engine make, and mattress type, wouldn't interest 90% of today's customers. Having said that, I can remember a time when I would take note of which craft had petrol or diesel engines, back in the 70s (when I first started visiting). 

• Like 1

I bet they didn't advertise that at least one of the mattresses on WR was horse hair.  We found that out when I replaced one around 2010 - Peter Jeckells was quite surprised - it was under two covers!  I offered it to the Museum of the Broads but they didn't want it!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...