Wanted,broom 30 Aft Cabin

Went for an external looksee yesterday at the single engined non flybridge boat,

im back down for a proper look next week with the owner.

after some phone conversations etc,

im first on board and it looks very nice,

live got to convince myself that twin engines and flybridge are not essential,:default_eusa_naughty:

low air draft,and better fuel economy is good 👍 

just need to learn to drive it.

• Like 2

On 16/03/2022 at 15:49, BroadAmbition said:

Chuffin Eck :default_icon_e_surprised:

Anyone would think you lot are trying to get rid of me. :default_sad:

Boston, Trent, Humber, Hull, Witham, Fosdyke, Wells, Lincoln, Gt Ouse, York, Kings Lynn, Ely, St Ives, Cambridge

Am I tempted?

Hmmmm, Maybe but not this year, too much on in both our social and 'B.A's diary

Griff

And if you do Griff, dont forget to visit us on the ancholme, got a great clubhouse, bbq's oh!  and a bar too. 🍻

Trev

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, mikeyboy1966 said:

Well,

it’s bought and paid for

Congratulations mikeyboy1966, welcome to the no money club. I hope you create many happy memories on your new boat :default_smile:

Congratulations, hope you have many years enjoyment like the rest of us.

Yes, as people have said above, boats are not cheap to maintain in top condition. But life is to enjoy, who wants to be the richest man in the cemetery!

• Like 1

I’m sat aboard,as I type,

marina has excellent WiFi.

as much as I’d like to go for a cruise,

I’ve  some jobs to do,not easy with a small Norfolk terrier.

so he’s heading home tomorrow with the good lady,

two days to get to grips  with things,

main problem is the propshaft centre bearing needs some tlc

the wooden bearer is loose in the hull ,only by about 1 mm but once the drive is loaded it’s moving around ,so I’ve got to chop off the old fibreglass and refix it.

plus a lot of cleaning under the decks,

40 years of muck,

im a bit OCD,I restore classic motorcycles,I ,unfortunately need spotless.

lol,

might take a while:default_biggrin:

Congratulations on your new boat!

5 hours ago, mikeyboy1966 said:

the wooden bearer is loose in the hull ,only by about 1 mm but once the drive is loaded it’s moving around ,so I’ve got to chop off the old fibreglass and refix it.

This sounds like the thrust bearing and if its mounting has come loose it is not doing its job properly.  This is where the thrust from the prop is taken up by the boat, so that bearer must be glassed in very solidly.  It must also be done ensuring that the prop shaft is properly aligned with the tube when you do it.  Afterwards you must check that the engine is properly lined up to the prop shaft.  I would advise you to talk to a boatyard about it.

You can still drive the boat at the moment - gently - but it means that the thrust from the prop is being taken up by the engine mountings and not by the thrust bearing.  It also puts a severe strain on the gearbox.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Congratulations on your new boat!

This sounds like the thrust bearing and if its mounting has come loose it is not doing its job properly.  This is where the thrust from the prop is taken up by the boat, so that bearer must be glassed in very solidly.  It must also be done ensuring that the prop shaft is properly aligned with the tube when you do it.  Afterwards you must check that the engine is properly lined up to the prop shaft.  I would advise you to talk to a boatyard about it.

You can still drive the boat at the moment - gently - but it means that the thrust from the prop is being taken up by the engine mountings and not by the thrust bearing.  It also puts a severe strain on the gearbox.

The mount/bearer is not very heavily “glassed “ in,

im guessing the ( what looks like) mahogany has just shrunk a bit over the 40 plus years.

I think I’ll start a new thread in the correct section for my restoration/repairs/upgrades as there’s a fair few jobs to attend to.:facepalm:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...