Covid Increasing Again Locally It Seems

Caught up with me this morning as well. Have had sore throat symptoms since Thursday but this morning was the first positive test. Husband positive last Sunday. Didn't go out on Friday or Saturday specifically.

Liz 

• Sad 1

Since posting this, we now know so much more about the new variant, it is nowhere near as severe as any other (Although can be problematic as always with other illnesses) However, the govt have taken the decision to stop testing and offering free kits - therefore, we are moving into the 'Living with Covid' era where we all make personal choices going forward.

Oddly my son works for a national distribution company and they have informed staff they are expected to work even if they have covid now or risk being offboarded!

I do dearly hope you are all recovering and are feeling fit and well for the summer!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Shame that doesn't apply to the NHS who currently have sickness levels in excess of 10% - before you shoot me down, not all NHS staff are patient facing!

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Tell that to Heathrow Airport!

18 hours ago, MY littleboat said:

Oddly my son works for a national distribution company and they have informed staff they are expected to work even if they have covid now or risk being offboarded!

It should be remembered that whilst it is no longer a legal requirement to self isolate if you have Covid, the official guidance is still to "try" and stay at home. You would imagine the NHS would be one of the last department to flout official Government advice.

Oh and take a look at the rising death figures and hospitalisations, this thing may be milder, but it is still killing and it is still very unpleasant.

Having managed to avoid it for 2 years I finally caught a bout three weeks ago. I was doubled jabbed and boosted and the initial infection came and went within about 5 days, but the lingering after effects of fatigue and shortness of breath are still with me.

I did self isolate until I'd had three successive negative tests and then still wore a mask when I went to the supermarket to protect others.

I wouldn't want this again and would urge everyone where possible to follow the Government advice and stay at home if possible if you get it. 

I didn't like having it and would certainly not wish to pass it on to anyone if I could avoid it.

• Like 4

My experience is of a cold that hasn't had a peak - just plateaued the same all week until today when I do believe I have  turned a corner.  I haven't had a cold for over two years so I had almost forgotten what one was like!!! For some reason I always develop a tickly cough which catches the back of my throat - no different with Covid!  Night times being particularly wearisome!  However, I consider I have got off quite lightly.  Just relatively boring being unable to do anything!  Luckily we didn't run out of CHOCOLATE!

Husband who tested positive before any symptoms was different.  Very runny nose on day 3 and then quickly recovering (so he said) but he was positive on the 27th March and only had a completely negative test yesterday 7th April! 10 days in total.  I am not wasting LFTs for the moment as I am sure it would still throw out a positive test and have cancelled a dentist appointment booked for next Tuesday!

Without getting too political - the government says it is their living with Covid strategy.  Listening to R4 yesterday, they were interviewing 'an expert' who said he wasn't exactly sure what that meant nor he said he suspected the government did either.

We had stockpiled LFTs for that day but if you now have to buy them, are you - that is if you can get hold of them? I consider that very short sighted even if it does save money!

On a positive note - two of our cats had their vaccinations the other day. Vets can now get hold of them after a shortage caused by all vaccine makers prioritising Covid vaccines.

Liz

Actually I should not have picked on the NHS specifically - I should also directed it at the DVLC and other specified  workers in particular

I do realise how difficult it is but not all industry has automatic sick pay if you ring in pleading Covid - I bet few in the private sector don't and I suspect some even want positive proof!

Several years ago, too many to count, I worked for one of the major employees in Canary Wharf and if you rang in sick that was fine, but next morning, or was it the one after that, a nurse would ring you to see if you were OK and would be only to happy to help or even pleased to pop out to you to see if there was anything she could do for you. But that of course is harassment!!!!

My elderly mother has this just morning returned from a holiday the US, feeling slightly under the weather, and tested positive. She is double jabbed and double boosted. Only very mild symptoms if that.

On the other hand, my OH tested positive a few days ago, double jabbed and single boosted, and is feeling quite sorry for herself with heavy cold symptoms, feeling rough etc.

Just waiting for the rest of us in the house to get it now, although I had had the original 'full fat' Covid exactly 2 years ago, so not sure if that will give me some immunity along with my jabs and booster.

Thankfully, Graham and I have managed to avoid it so far, despite Harry working in IKEA. Lots of my colleagues have had it recently though. Some have got off relatively lightly, others have been more badly affected, completely lacking energy, though no hospitalisations thankfully. Age doesn’t seem to matter much. One of the worst affected was one of my younger colleagues.

• Like 1

Well, the wife started to cough and lost her voice almost five weeks ago.  She had a couple of other Covid symptoms as well and tested two or three times, but always returned negative results.  However, she still hasn’t fully regained her voice and still can’t shout.  I’m trying to make the most of it while I can 😂, but have no doubt that I’ll suffer for it when she does eventually recover!

• Haha 4

I was supposed to be meeting a work friend for lunch on campus yesterday, but she emailed to say she couldn’t make it. Not only does she have Covid, but she also broke a leg (both bones, just above the boot - eek) on a skiing holiday last week. Now that’s really bad luck. 

21 hours ago, marshman said:

a nurse would ring you to see if you were OK and would be only to happy to help or even pleased to pop out to you to see if there was anything she could do for you. But that of course is harassment!!!!

That's not harassment that's a perk and should be taxable!

" so you are tucked up in bed feeling poorly, would you like a nurse to come and make you feel better?"

"Yes please!!!" :default_biggrin:

(male nurses excluded)

• Haha 3

We have also finally succumbed, after 2 years of being sensible. Similar experience to Meantime above, but with no loss of smell or taste.  We are both triple jabbed and I've now been invited for a fourth, so do feel better off than when all this started.  However, it was still unpleasant and I do have a lingering dry throat and a shortage of energy, although I now test clear.  We do have to live with this thing now, but I recommend you avoid if possible!  Best wishes for a solid recovery to all those affected.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SwanR said:

We’re still testing positive on Day 10.

Hope you feel better soon. With regard to your testing positive on day 10 still, this for me is part of the worrying thing. I seemed to get it and test negative fairly quickly, days 6 and 7, but a friend who got it at the same time also tested positive up to day 10. Current Government advice is to try and stay at home for 5 days!!!! In my friends case he still has a cough even though he has tested negative for 2 weeks. He most certainly would have been spreading it had he followed the 5 day advice.

I had a really good day yesterday and felt able to tackle quite a few jobs that needed doing, but really paid for it last night and today. Over tired and couldn't sleep, and today felt like I run a marathon yesterday.

• Like 1