Reflections on the BSS safety scheme

Guest smellyloo

I get really grumpy with beurocrosy (I know bad smelling), especially when it potentially costs me money.

It has been some time since the introduction of the safety scheme for private boats. Are there any statistics to indicate that there has been a reduction in accidents due to poorly maintained boats since it's introduction? Or ......

Shall I get ready to add another item to my grumpiness list?

As an owner I share your grumpiness when statutory schemes cost me money but I then sit back and think at least I have a likely safe gas, electric and fuel system!

I know and accept that the scheme is hardly all encompassing and the fact that I had to abide by it on the canals before coming to the Broads tempered my reaction. I do belive though that there has to be some form of basic safety regulation and hope that the present one can be improved upon.

I am also thankful that we do not seem to read regular or frequent reports of accidents and injuries due to the basic systems on boats. Whether the BSC has contributed to this is a debatable matter as this thread demonstrates.

Trevor

www.normanboats.co.uk

I am also thankful that we do not seem to read regular or frequent reports of accidents and injuries due to the basic systems on boats. Whether the BSC has contributed to this is a debatable matter as this thread demonstrates.

I think that sums it up nicely Trevor.

It's difficult to prove it's effectiveness when the main measure of it's success is hearing less about boat fires and explosions.

Seeing some of the BSS tester's online "black museum photos" it's frightening how naive some owners were with regard to fuel, gas, and electricity ! :shocked

It's a relief to know that we're less likely to be moored next to a floating bomb, even if we're confident with our own boats.

Hi all,

I too have seen some of the " black museum photo's " from some boats prior to the BSS, and to be honest, I'm quite glad that the BSS is now firmly established. I do also fully understand the fears of some people, that this 'test' is going to cost them a small fortune, but really is quite the opposite. The way I look at it now is, if I have to change, or renew, or add something to my boat, I look into the future to the next 'test' and then decide on the safest way to do the job, so, when it is tested again, hopefully all will be well,so really, common sense is the order of the day. I will say,my boat has just passed the test with a total cost of zero, but with a cost of £135 for the actual test and certificate for the next 4 years, but like the MOT, the vehicle/boat is only considered 'safe' at the time of testing, I understand that,so those little niggly things that crop up occasionally, fix them, don't just put them on the back burner for another day, they'll mount up, and will eventually mean a whole day doing repairs or actually forgetting about them, until the 'test' is due,,,,,,,PANIC. LOL

Anyway, just my few "Reflections" on the BSS.

Baz cheersbar

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

I think you`ve made a very good point in your post Baz,............ like an MOT, the test only means the boat is safe as tested ON THE TEST DATE. I wonder how many people change things AFTER the BSSC test?. I wonder how many people think the BSSC is a nessecary evil, and "borrow" safety items from somewhere, just to pass the test, and give them back afterwards?. Just imagine somebody borrowing several nessecary items, such as a gas cooker that meets all the latest safety rquirements as a temporary substitute to pass the test, and then put their "old faithful" and possibly lethal unit back, knowing they won`t have to worry for another 4 years, when they could possibly do it again. A cars MOT is an annual test, with any faults being to the testers disgression, and should not make the vehical unroadworthy within 3 months. That i know, because i know at least 4 MOT testers. Whereas a BSSC test lasts for 4 years, where anything from a perished gas hose, to a faulty fuel line, or wires cracking through vibration could occur, and possibly having catastrophic results. As Baz says, it`s better to put right simple niggles, or even major repairs immediately, but i wonder how many people do put it off untill the last minute, in the hope it won`t end in disaster?. It`s also worth remembering that several of the more recent boat fires have been due to 240V inverters overheating and bursting into flames.

but with a cost of £135 for the actual test and certificate for the next 4 years

Even cheaper than that, if you shop around Baz.

I've had three BSS tests on two different boats now, by three different examiners.

The last one was in November last year, and it was £85, and just as thorough as the previous two, but costing much less.

It can therefore be much cheaper than a car MOT, eg 85/4 = £21.25 per year, compare with about £45 for a car... :)

You're right Brian, the cost of the examination was £95, but actually shopping around, as Strowager mentioned, this could be found to be cheaper,and the cost of the certificate was £40, total £135. The reason I went to this particular examiner, was purely for the fact that he did the last test, so in effect, knew the boat.

All the best

Baz cheersbar

Even when Kingfisher was on the broads we never had an inspection as we were exempt so cannot speak from personal experience. I do feel that anything that contributes to the safety of fuel, gas and electrical systems on board has to be a good thing and now things have settled it seems to be just seen as a normal part of owning a boat. I wonder how long it will be before a similar scheme is introduced for seagoing craft too.

Not sure if it's possible to measure the effectiveness of the BSS as most of the incidents that could possibly have occurred had it not been introduced will probably not happen now! I was dreading our BSS earlier this year, but the boat sailed through no problem, so that was good news!

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
, but the boat sailed through no problem, so that was good news!

Is there something you`re NOT telling us Mark, like, since when did put a rag and stick on top? :lol::lol::lol::lol: . Good punn though ;);)

As you may or may not know, my business is in boat repair, especialy the electrical and engineering side.

I have two issues with BSS, well more the yards that take the weewee. fail boats for the sake of it knowing the customer wont check, then charge a fortune for the repair. I had one client who had test carried out and was handed a fail sheet and a £600+ quote for the work, they walked away and a mutual freind contaced me, I had a look and didnt agree. Tim Waters carried out a new inspection and i did the necessary work the total bill inc Tims certification was approx £250.

My other issue is one that i keep seeing, boats with a BSS or just expired with things wrong the most commen is fuel filler/breather hoses, theses should have been changed 4 years ago. the hoses can be in nightmere places but still shouldnt have been ignored, also very recently i rewired some batteries that before i re-housed them were floating round the engine bay, they were installed by a well known yard, the same yard did the boats last BSS!

When it comes to an inspector i only reccomend Tim Waters, he only fails what should fail. He doesnt take on the repairs so has nothing to gain by failing it, he also gives a free retest if you have failed. I think he is currently £110 all in.

If for no other reason the BSS is a good idea just for the gas test, some gas systems..... you just dont want to know how bad they can be!!!

Proberbly should point out that most boat yards are proberbly honest and fair.