Rambling Rosie's Rambles

NeilB

Just dropped my weight in South Walsham, couple of other boats here but both the dyke moorings were only half full which was a bit of a surprise.

Maybe all the locals have flown south for the summer.....:default_eusa_naughty:

1 hour ago, NeilB said:

Maybe all the locals have flown south for the summer.....:default_eusa_naughty:

Based on your previous photos it appears all the locals were aboard your boat, you clearly drive the birds quackers :default_biggrin:

Have a great evening :default_beerchug:

• 1 month later...

Had a fantastic few days with 2 of my children on board last week.  So good only managed a couple of photos of fireworks at Great Yarmouth.  Luckily there are none of me swimming at Sea Palling and whale watch seems to have missed me as well! My daughter is still being a little stubborn about wearing a life jacket, came to an agreement she must wear it while on deck but can take it off inside.

The icing on the cake was my son getting very good GCSE results.  He’s autistic and can seem a little strange to those that meet him so it’s not been easy.  He’s worked very hard and I’m very proud that’s he’s qualified for 6th form.

96B97A44-19E6-4E99-A22F-F01328875D98.jpeg

A63FC9DA-B097-4428-BD89-BBD6CA0C7DC6.jpeg

9EC09FB4-0B93-41D6-921C-AA2D973FB1A0.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Work’s been quite busy with the build up to Southampton Boatshow so looking forward to this weekend.  By 4pm on Friday I’d topped up the water, unplugged shore power, dumped rubbish etc.

Just cast off and Malcolm Mouldy appeared on Moonlight Shadow so followed him out of Stalham.

Fairly slow trip down the Ant due to a dawdler, don’t mind taking it easy but it’s a tad inconsiderate to do tickover down tha Ant.

Also inconsiderate we’re several private craft towing yachts to Barton regatta, at least 6 of them were well over the speed limit.  They should know better and it sets a bad example for the hire boats just leaving Richos.

Onto the Bure and some nice Kate afternoon sun and cloud combinations.

F424F7BD-B25E-4A28-BD70-0C2C5432AA6B.thumb.jpeg.3653a603ac6237df2f5879ca12df52f4.jpeg2E8EC777-43FF-49A6-9729-ADE5F7F8FAFB.thumb.jpeg.b6fa049a9adb20792be25c5dd16b504f.jpeg

Reached Horning around 6:30, The Ferry was at least half double moored and the last slots at the The New inn filled as I cruised past.

No idea what was happening but the the air ambulance took off from behind the Swan, hope they are ok.

82489556-EAD1-4D9D-A28D-EF6F902A0425.thumb.jpeg.934de143d888fc8f9643b1d602e81379.jpeg593D9002-9950-42C9-902F-989B8033BA2E.thumb.jpeg.27551e2e1791d5af998a7e22b8809b22.jpeg

Just as the light was starting to fade I went under Wroxham bridge, plenty of room at 7ft and moored at the Viaduct.  Popped into Greys for fish n chips, watched a bit of Netflix and off to bed feeling a little tired after a long day.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Well done to your son Neil, always an anxious time for them as gcse results day looms. (And for their teachers too, I used to start sleeping badly for a few days beforehand even though you know it’s daft as out of your control). 
Enjoy your ‘solo’ cruising once again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BroadsLady said:

Well done to your son, you must be beaming with pride and what a beautiful little girl you have there too, I"m guessing she won't be dating until she's 45 :default_biggrin:

Loving the photos 

Thanks, soon to be 9 so a while yet.  Her brother is 6ft 4” and built like the proverbial outhouse so I already have a bodyguard for her!

• Like 2

I’d just collected Moonlight Shadow from Marine Transmissions.  They’d reconditioned the gearbox whilst the new engine was being fitted in January and it had developed a leak, which we hope is now fixed.

I was on my way back to Horning when I saw you.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, andyg said:

Great photo Neil, when is Rose coming out of the water for new paint etc..

Hopefully between now and mid October, just asked our dealer to deliver the engine to Sutton Staithe on Tuesday and I'll need pump outs by then so I'll remind them.  They have been super busy plus have an unexpected massive job with Malanka.

7 hours ago, andyg said:

Yeah I've seen some photos of the work there doing on malanka, that going to hurt the bank balance lol. What you doing with the old engine Neil are you scrapping it ?? 

From what I’ve seen they are doing a proper job….

Friend of a work colleague rebuilds or breaks engines for scrap so he’s going to have it.  Pretty sure it’s the original so it’s done over 30 years in hire and nearly 4 as private.  I suspect it’s a bit like Triggers broom by now!!

Leaks and burns enough oil I don’t need to change it!

Cruised to Coltishall passing plenty of boats heading to Wroxham, virtually no one there until the day boats started to arrive.

F37C9301-CE74-461F-95F3-FDFD6839A58C.thumb.jpeg.0b4a34ed4a848221251994f8ffd33c34.jpeg10098F4E-1073-419E-AE53-66698A1D00B7.thumb.jpeg.30308487cfef0316f3169bc2d9857952.jpeg174DAF6F-E2E8-46DE-9EE7-01AF6822A98C.thumb.jpeg.e2e99fbc0f44659bebb28e6e37bc4a8c.jpeg

Had a couple in the Rising Sun and the plan wos to compound polish some of the superstructure.  My cheapo Chinese polisher worked fine but the polishing pads that came with it were rubbish and kept breaking up!!

After 3 pads and a pathetically small area I gave up.  I’ll have to buy some decent ones and start again.

309AD16E-4703-4A72-A20E-6F43B2BD7C71.thumb.jpeg.a3382d73838ed6cc7d73634c37a1ed97.jpeg3EA21860-DF1B-4746-9D77-A2D22DAA9807.thumb.jpeg.d2ff49b0518a1d2d5acc11b2c4a1a842.jpeg

Fancied a change of scenery so set off for Belaugh and secured the church Staithe mooring.

The quay heading is a little crumbly and so is the steep path with a drop to one side, so please take care if you stop here.

3488FCC8-10B8-4949-93BA-5043259F05E0.jpeg

6BF84D34-36FB-432E-8A06-8B1E89D2A15F.jpeg

7089BF71-E5E7-4835-877E-52E6F2594DBC.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Woke up fairly early for a Sunday around 6:30, in time to enjoy a misty start.11B3A3EF-65B3-4E8F-A2CC-AF26BD768CA1.thumb.jpeg.4fbd854030a7bf542db969b34e2d8131.jpeg96B0AE77-C1E2-47E2-AB97-7F46017504EE.thumb.jpeg.1423ecd5df71632a05306958f98582f9.jpeg

No real plans for today except to get through Wroxham bridge fairly early.  Arrived just before 9 when all the day boats were heading out so gave a good blast of my horn.  They are quite loud and a car going over the bridge beeped back!!  Probably thought another car had beeped but it made me chuckle.

I must be going through a religious phase as I stopped at Horning church Staithe and walked to the Ferry Inn for their carvery.  Mmm, it was ok with lots of choice but I would say quantity over quality.  Still, saved me cooking!

I’m now settled at a busy St Benets watching the world go by.  Highlight so far is helping a couple of ladies pump up their paddle boards, turns out my dinghy pump is a perfect fit.

Managed to type the above without any smutty innuendo!!!

7CF5002F-8080-43FD-B7BB-BBCFBBF99A2E.thumb.jpeg.5bcb96002b7d08564cc90f52796a10fa.jpeg5F372ED0-E996-4D10-8D8C-7A47B9784C28.thumb.jpeg.7d1cdd241c491958db2f982bf0e859c9.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jbx5 said:

Did you notice the height at Wroxham bridge Neil ? 

John 

It was a smidge under 7ft on the upstream gauge at low tide.  I’ve been told that a reading of 0.38 on the below website equals 6ft9”.  Not measured it myself though.

https://check-for-flooding.service.gov.uk/station/6211

It’s quite good as you can often see a down or upward trend depending on the tides.  Helps decide whether to risk it or not!

Barnes webcam does point at the gauge for a few seconds, have to zoom in to see the height.

• Like 3

Those parish Staithes are gems. I’m not sure how long they will continue though. The churches are having enough difficulty keeping the churches going never mind quay headings, and the one at Horning is a skid pan when wet.

I attend a church that’s relatively modern (built 1660) compared to the ones on the Broads and we’ve recently been advised our tower and some of the stonework needs urgent attention. Surveyor’s costing is staggering. Not sure how we will manage that. We are located in Milton Keynes, but the church is tiny. It is the only church to be designed by Robert Hooke. (Just Google him…really ground breaking scientist who developed all sorts of things like the coil spring for watches, developed microscopes, observed ‘cells’ and coined the term cell. And that’s just a tiny example of the things he discovered/developed.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NeilB said:

From what I’ve seen they are doing a proper job….

Friend of a work colleague rebuilds or breaks engines for scrap so he’s going to have it.  Pretty sure it’s the original so it’s done over 30 years in hire and nearly 4 as private.  I suspect it’s a bit like Triggers broom by now!!

Leaks and burns enough oil I don’t need to change it!

Oh OK, I know someone that would of probably had that of you as a project for his own boat. Cheers. 

Nice Alpha! Not sure we’ve seen the full side on shot before and with that colour scheme looks great. I think all Alphacraft builds are very appealing right from those half a century or so ago up to the John Moxham designs which 20 years later are still cutting edge and without that foresight probably wouldn’t exist.

• Like 1

Thanks Turnroar.  I’ll probably keep the blue superstructure stripe but the “Herbert Woods” blue hull stripe will be going in a few weeks time.  I think the blue fenders will also be replaced, they are a bit tired, at least 2 have holes and the forward 2 are missing.

Had a very lazy morning and was back at my home mooring by around 2pm.  Weather was bit overcast and even had some rain so not much in the way of photos.  Had a double pump out at Sutton Staithe along with a nice chat with Robert.  Might only have a couple of short trips as need to prep for the upcoming major works plus I’m away for a while at Southampton Boatshow.

Planning for 2 weeks off end of October to give the new engine a nice run down south!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, andyg said:

Well done to your son, our youngest granddaughter is autistic so I totally get what a fantastic achievement this is for him 👏 👍 

Thanks.  It’s been a constant struggle from the day we realised something was wrong when he was around 2 years old. Junior school were not much use, we had to get a private diagnosis.  Then he was slightly below the threshold for extra funding and tuition etc, etc.  Just constant setbacks yet he continued to plug away and has exceeded both the teachers and our expectations.  So, so proud, he’s a bit confused as to what the fuss is about and definitely did not want a man hug!!!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Ah bless him, our daughter has had the same battles I'm afraid, although in our granddaughter case her autism is quite bad. Her junior school have been incredibly supportive. Our daughter finally won her case for extra funding so lexi future educational needs will now be met. An unnecessary 18 months of stress for us ontop of everything else. We'll done to your son Neil long may he continue to succeed 👏 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1