Hake: Some Chippies Are Selling It Now.

Popeye

We used to have Huss (rock salmon) from the chippie when I was young. My memory says I really loved it. Hadn’t seen it for decades until I was in Grey’s in Hoveton last summer. It was on the board but when I asked for it, they didn’t have any. I was very disappointed!

All this talk of steamed fish with asparagus has sorted out tomorrows tea. I have plenty down the allotment, early spuds not ready yet though. 

• Like 2

Rene's local chippie always has rock eel (rock salmon, huss whatever you want to call it), and it's always good. The Churchills at Pitsea never have it. In the good ol' days, all chippies had a good range of all fish - skate was my mum's fave, haddock, rock, plaice, even sole. Nowadays, most just have cod or haddock. The market adjusts down to whatever the public demands, I suppose.

On 30/04/2022 at 16:21, Popeye said:

Even fried in batter IMHO hake is far better than cod or haddock anyway

The mind is a wonderful thing and people can get very set in their ways!

My wife will only have Cod......albeit when I have been to the chippy and for an experiment, bought Haddock instead (and not mentioned it), she has eaten it without hesitation or thought that it wasn't her favourite choice, because in her mind it was Cod.

I went to a social event last week with my brother, his wife and my son.

They had 2 lagers on offer (Carling and Coors)

The Coors was frothing like mad and took ages to pull a decent pint, but my brother and sister in law both insisted on Coors because they can't stand Carling!

I later went to the bar on my own and asked for 4 pints of Carling, but could they put 2 pint in a Coors glass for me because I couldn't be bothered waiting for a pint which was so difficult to pull.

They did and my brother even commented "now that's a proper pint"

Yep...........

Ohh what a powerful thing your mind is!!🤣

• Like 3

Ooops!

I have just looked up "Saithe", a fish I had mentioned before in this forum. It turns out that it not only tastes like Coley but it is Coley.

As aforementioned, I don't mind eating Coley so I will buy it next time I am in the chippie as it is much cheaper than Cod or Haddock and IMHO just as tasty.

Full marks to the chippie, as Coley has been given a bad name in the past and hopefully people will try it and like it, especially the price. What must put people off it is the slightly grey colour and the association with people feeding it to their cats. Hopefully people will try it now it has been given its other name

All I can say is lucky cats. 

Edited by Popeye
I used another word for cats and that word had unintentional connections.

All this talk of Hake i went to fishmongers and asked for Hake it is a very large fish i had a chunk of it i intend to bake in the oven in foil like i do Haddock,  be able to tast it better than fried in batter.John

• Like 3

It would be good if we could buy smoked Hake.

I do enjoy smoked Haddock poached in milk served on a bed of mashed potato with a poached egg on top.

The milk is thickened with cornflower and sometimes with shrimp included. It would be great to do that with smoked Hake.

I suppose I could smoke the Hake myself, now there's a thought.   :default_icon_idea:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Regulo said:

Rene's local chippie always has rock eel (rock salmon, huss whatever you want to call it), and it's always good. The Churchills at Pitsea never have it. In the good ol' days, all chippies had a good range of all fish - skate was my mum's fave, haddock, rock, plaice, even sole. Nowadays, most just have cod or haddock. The market adjusts down to whatever the public demands, I suppose.

Churchills at Billericay sold Rock Eel (Dogfish) last time I went in there but the shop was then named "Fish n Chicken" which is essentially the same company to the best of my knowledge.

7 hours ago, Tempest said:

The mind is a wonderful thing and people can get very set in their ways!

My wife will only have Cod......albeit when I have been to the chippy and for an experiment, bought Haddock instead (and not mentioned it), she has eaten it without hesitation or thought that it wasn't her favourite choice, because in her mind it was Cod.

I went to a social event last week with my brother, his wife and my son.

They had 2 lagers on offer (Carling and Coors)

The Coors was frothing like mad and took ages to pull a decent pint, but my brother and sister in law both insisted on Coors because they can't stand Carling!

I later went to the bar on my own and asked for 4 pints of Carling, but could they put 2 pint in a Coors glass for me because I couldn't be bothered waiting for a pint which was so difficult to pull.

They did and my brother even commented "now that's a proper pint"

Yep...........

Ohh what a powerful thing your mind is!!🤣

There is something very wrong with your brother if he can't tell the difference between Coors and Carling :default_laugh:

• Like 2