the lady of the lake

loribear

I was talking to Richard last week and he said it won't open until next March. This does surprise me though, why so long? Weatherspoons in Lowestoft were open again after being 2 feet under water two days after the event.

I guess JDW's have rather unlimited resources, Col, compared with Richard?

I would guess the fact that the bar area is a couple of feet below the outside road level meant they took in a substantial amount of water. That will have damaged furnishings and probably mean the floors and walls will take ages to dry out. Maybe they will use the forced closure to also do a bit of decorating?

• Like 1

Apart from the live band nights, this pub struggles to attract custom generally. I suspect this may be a factor that decides what sort of investment to make in any refurbishment.

Does anyone know if the place is owned by one of the Pubco's or not? If its Enterprise Inns or Punch then I would worry about its survival as a pub!

Trevor

Does anyone know if the place is owned by one of the Pubco's or not? If its Enterprise Inns or Punch then I would worry about its survival as a pub!

Trevor

Not sure about the ownership Trevor. When it re-opened earlier in the year, I was quite pleased to see the sticky carpet and some of the stickier seats had gone, and had hopes there would be some investment to make it a little more comfortable. I only tend to visit on band nights, when it can get packed out, but had in the past enjoyed quite decent sunday lunches in there. Lets hope it does survive, as it's the only place in the area for decent live music.

That's absolutely true. I've seen some excellent bands strutting their stuff there and have also enjoyed the sunday roasts and had long meaningful conversations and imbibing sessions with the local barfly come chef!. It would be a great shame to lose it.

Does anyone know if it is a tenancy or managed house?

I guess JDW's have rather unlimited resources, Col, compared with Richard?

Richard told me they were fully insured for flood damage that is why I am surprised it is taking so long. Although I had heard somewhere previously they could not get insurance due to previous flooding.

Point taken Mark regarding drying times, although 3 1/2 months does seem a little excessive.

I am not sure if it a managed pub or privately owned but either way I do hope they get it sorted and up and running soon.

It could not have happened at a worse time, the run up to Christmas and over the holiday period makes or breaks a pub and in many cases helps to cover the lean periods in January & February.

As already stated there is a water trap in front of the pub. It could be that the cellar was totally flooded, there also could have been storage for food that was also effected.

Drying out flooded buildings can be difficult especially if there is no operational onsite electrics.

The larger pub chains do tend to spend plenty of money to get their pubs reopened quickly. Once customers find a new place to drink or eat it is hard to get them back.

Lets hope it can open soon.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1