Displaying Boat Names

7 hours ago, Dan said:

I thought it had probably been done to try and unify the look a bit when they are in the yard

Don't mind the font but was suprised they had not repainted where old ones were removed, some looked absolutely dreadful for it, others not quite so bad

I cant imagine it would take long to tape and repaint panels such as the white bits from this photo, so it did look a bit like standards had slipped or more had been lost than gained, hopefully be improved soon...

Dan

bronze 2.jpg

bronze.jpg

I guess they'll probably tidy up the residue on the next lot of winter maintenance?

I do think the new font is cleaner and I suppose the reason they're being applied to hulls on some boats is simply because there's such a variety of superstructure colours that colour contrast is going to be a real problem.

Probably the approach is to find a suitable white surface and apply the blue text on a white background against that.

In some cases, it will probably also make it a lot easier to defleet the boats when the time comes. 

• Like 1

Some boats like the San Remos don’t have any room on the rear superstructure for a name.

Superstructure colour is not an issue as the names are printed onto a white wrap that covers the rear superstructure.

I’ll try and grab a photo when I’m back up on Thursday.

That looks total pants and a right proper bodge job in my opinion. Hope they don't all look like that. Maybe there going to completely change all the boats names and get away from the gem fleet thing. Lots Bella this and Bella that lol. Oh dear. 

Hi as Broads Ambition has not got her name back yet on the Front  or Back will that whole word Broad Ambition be Split at the Front Bow or all on the Back ? Or will it continue to be Ambition at the Back and have Broad Split either side at Bow of the Boat 

When my family ran Newson Boats in the 1970s & 80s, none of our hire fleet had the name on the bow only the bluebirds, the boat name was only only on the transom.

from memory I think this was the case for a lot of the hire fleets, certainly hiring from Oulton Broad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tobster said:

When my family ran Newson Boats in the 1970s & 80s, none of our hire fleet had the name on the bow only the bluebirds, the boat name was only only on the transom.

from memory I think this was the case for a lot of the hire fleets, certainly hiring from Oulton Broad.

I didn't know that. Do you recall if there was any particular reason why it was the case?

7 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I didn't know that. Do you recall if there was any particular reason why it was the case?

Probably because all the boat names were all sign written back then, no vinyl stickers, also the wooden boats were all re painted every year, so to re sign write would have been very expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was a majority of side on moorings back then. The boats used to come back with scuffs on their front quarters from quayheads which were religiously touched in. The transom rarely had a mark on it, perfect place for the name.

• Like 1

I've seen a few of the Richardson's wrapped boats, they look pants in my opinion, I'm assuming it a cost cutting thing and they look it. Saw the two new small additions Bella Vita and Donna in Norwich yacht station Thursday night. Absolutely cracking looking boats very smart indeed.