Water Rail Out And About.

8 hours ago, grendel said:

Well it looks like I will need to make contact with civilisation again today, guess which idiot left his phone sitting smack under a drip from the roof last night, and now it's not interested in turning back on., It was only a £25 phone so no great issue,

Now if it was a smart phone it might have predicted the forthcoming precipitation! :default_wink:

A new phone having been obtained it was ascertained that the old son card was standard format, and the new required the nano card. As it was not pre cut for different sizes, I had to call upon my model making skills to trim the old son down to fit the nano slot, phone is working, so I must have got it right.

• Like 1

Short hop from womack dyke to potter heigham this morning, no chance at the bridge coming up to high tide at 5'9", I guess all the rain hasn't helped much. I will wander over to Latham's and then decide where to head next.

• Like 2

I had thought to check out and lunch at Ranworth, no such luck, they were queuing to get the  next space., Popped round the corner to st Benedict's church staithe, the wind is getting up, so it took me 2 attempts to moor up. As first time I got the nose lined up then got blown sideways into the dyke.

Coffee and a cheese and tomato sandwich for lunch.

While I was there there was another boat, he had broken down with the engine overheating, he had called the engineer, I did suggest the weed filter, but we could not see one ( after the engineer turned up and fixed it, he came and let me know it was the weed filter, which rather than being in the engine bay, was inside a cupboard inside the boat.)

I have now cruised to South walsham and am moored up in one of my favourite spots in the wiers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grendel said:

he came and let me know it was the weed filter, which rather than being in the engine bay, was inside a cupboard inside the boat.)

There does seem to be a lot of weed about at present. We had to empty our weed filter every day on the northern Broads earlier this month. On previous trips we’ve hardly ever had to. Mind you, there was a weed cutting operation going on around Coltishall, so I guess it all gets carried away down the Bure. 

21 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

There does seem to be a lot of weed about at present. We had to empty our weed filter every day on the northern Broads earlier this month. On previous trips we’ve hardly ever had to. Mind you, there was a weed cutting operation going on around Coltishall, so I guess it all gets carried away down the Bure. 

We seem to get what looks like a black sludge in ours and yes it needs cleaning daily. On Nipper we had the old tube stack type filter and hardly ever had to clean it.  

The bottom of ponds and lakes are often black with sludge cause by dead plant matter of all types but especially algae and blanket weed breaking down. Could the boat have been in shallow water. 

I remember being weighted in Salhouse a few years ago and we were circled by a huge Sealine that stirred up loads of black matter from the bottom.   It smelled quite unpleasant also.

16 hours ago, grendel said:

While I was there there was another boat, he had broken down with the engine overheating, he had called the engineer, I did suggest the weed filter, but we could not see one ( after the engineer turned up and fixed it, he came and let me know it was the weed filter, which rather than being in the engine bay, was inside a cupboard inside the boat.)

I have now cruised to South walsham and am moored up in one of my favourite spots in the wiers.

The weed filter on Chiltern Lady is also in a cupboard, under the floor. Glad I was shown by NYA on buying the boat…😎

Early-ish start this morning, 8 am departure, destination great Yarmouth, moored up at the yacht station 11 am ish, just after high tide, river flow not too strong, so I got in sight of the bridge before swinging into the flow to moor up. Now for a day wandering around great Yarmouth, ice creams and slot machines. I don't fancy cooking tonight so for once I will treat myself to a meal out.

• Like 2

Considering it's only about 2 1/2 hours after high water there are a lot of boats coming through the bridges., I suppose the  3pm low slack is not helping there, that said there was just a shade over 8 foot when I arrived just over an hour after high water.

1 hour ago, grendel said:

Now for a day wandering around great Yarmouth, ice creams and slot machines. I don't fancy cooking tonight so for once I will treat myself to a meal out.

Market chips and a pie out of paper wrapping is that?

Early departure at 7 am from great Yarmouth, as I wanted to catch the end of the flood up breydon, then the plan was to stop off and do breakfast at somewhere like herringfleet.moorings were full,so I ended up stopping at the wild mooring above the waveney river centre.

A bit of bad luck on route, as I was passing the WRC, my solar panel for the solar generator caught a gust of wind and dove overboard, I can testify that these only float long enough to give you a hope of recovery, it sank out of sight just as I was getting near enough to grab it. Lesson learned, if travelling, figure some way to strap it down.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, petersjoy said:

What!! never seen Herringfleet anywhere near full, do you mean Somerleyton?

Nope somerleyton was rammed, herringfleet had one gap that I might have squeezed into, but I took the chance on somerleyton having a space, as I wasn't that worried.

• Like 1