Water Rail Out And About.

i woke early this morning, time to start packing and clean boat, at 10am I cruised up the last section of the waveney to beccles, stopped in at hippersons, for fuel top up and pump out, - no fuel available (though they were still sending out day boats), a cruiser came in having called into derbys next door, to find nobody around, so that was out too, so I carefully slotted water rail back into her slot and packed the car back up, performed all the shut down procedures and departed for home, literally just arrived, provided the cats with tuna as a treat and now having a sitΒ  down before proceeding to unpack theΒ  car.

rightho, time for pictures, apologies for the delay but its been hectic since i got home

DSCN0359.JPG

Ranworth Island and its guardian geese

DSCN0343.JPG

strangely as leader of the procession from Ranworth to Salhouse, I was too busy to get any pictures, and i didnt get any during the meet either.

on the way back from coltishall, I encountered a fair few canoists and paddle boardersDSCN0445.JPG

Ah, thats where they are all headed, swimmers too

DSCN0447.JPG

overnight on bridge broad, tucked round the corner, a nice peaceful mooring, it was here i cleared the prop

DSCF0095.JPGDSCF0096.JPGDSCF0097.JPG

that cruiser stern moored to the bank of the bure between ranworth and st Bennets

DSCN0448.JPG

Hunsett mill

DSCN0450.JPG

and the river works on the way to Dilham, the works are right on this bend and considerably restrict the river

DSCN0451.JPG

wildlife

DSCN0453.JPG

Moored at Great Yarmouth

DSCF0098.JPG

before I headed down there, I moored overnight in another favorite spot in south walsham broad, where I met some Local wildlife

DSCN0454.JPGDSCN0455.JPGDSCN0456.JPGDSCN0457.JPG

the clouds on the trip to Great Yarmouth were spectacular

DSCN0459.JPG

I saw a marsh Harrier Hunting as I neared Great Yarmouth

DSCN0466.JPGDSCN0464.JPG

the early morning crossing over Breydon was quite choppy

DSCN0472.JPGDSCN0467.JPGDSCN0470.JPG

DSCN0471.JPG

after mooring at the totem pole moorings I spotted this wherry heading for beccles

Β 

DSCN0475.JPG

and unfortunately thats the sum total of my pictures from this trip

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Thanks Peter. We’ve only moored on the Island once, on our first trip to the Broads. Graham still thinks of it as goose poop city (we had a dog with us, so couldn’t avoid it).

That stern moored boat looks very peculiar. The trouble with handovers to newbies is that there’s just far too much information to take in, so I wonder if they just misunderstood one instruction.Β 

Im amazed you take any pictures. I find it difficult enough, and I’m not solo helming.Β 

23 minutes ago, Karizma said:

".............after mooring at the totem pole moorings"

thats a new one for me (and I travel that stretch of river often being Beccles based), any chance of a clue / photo where that one is?Β :default_dunce:

It’s just a few bends down from WRC. There used to a couple, or even three, of wood carvings resembling Easter Island heads on the bank, just one the last couple of times we’ve been past. It seems to be getting more overgrown than it had been.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grendel said:

its here (where the blue arrow points) there are a couple of fishing pegs here (one at each end) and you can walk along the bank to the dyke where there are private moorings a bit closer to beccles.

Β 

thanks - will look out for it when next down on the river.Β :default_beerchug:

• 2 months later...

Well it's that time again, wooden boat show week, (it seems to start earlier each year,) I loaded the car, set off from home at 7 am, and had a reasonably clear run up, fortunately I had chatted to DaveΒ  the night before and had been informed my destination was oulton broad yacht station, not beccles. I arrived at about 10.15, where Dave was just preparing to bring water rail over, and after loading the boat, it was soon time to depart.

As I had said I would accompany Helen down from beccles while they familiarised themselves with Tabitha Rose, I chugged out to the waveney, recieving my firs insect bite on oulton dyke on the way. A brief heave to at the junction saw me diving into the cabin for the bite cream, then I was on my way, I kept WR at a steady 2000 rpm (5mph) and proceeded to go against the tide up to beccles, on arrival I moored up next to Tabitha Rose, and then proceeded to unpack everything.

Shortly after Helen and Graham arrived and we spent a pleasant afternoon unpacking and sitting in the shade chatting. A fairly early night for me after that long day, and a good night's sleep. Woke early just after 5 to hear they the rest of the fleet were departing from Stracey in fog, latest report was 50 foot visibility at the southern end of Breydon, and the fleet mooring up at Burgh castle to await it's clearing.

IMG_20220810_113428.jpg

• Like 8

Well the day at oulton broad has been one of doing something, then resting in the shade, then doing something, etc, interspersed with cold drinks and ice creams, then it was tea and cakes at Shaun's, I like Griff was good and only had one cake. Moorings have been paid, shopping done, I managed to pick up a decent fisherman's chair for sitting around chatting,Β 

A trip along the road for my tea, there was a queue at the chip shops I went to magic wok instead, wow they really worked some magic as I walked out with my order not 3 minutes after walking in ( ok sweet and sour chicken balls and egg fried rice must be pretty standard,but that was super quick service. When I got back to the boat it was all still piping hot,Β  and tasted good, so thumbs up for good service.

• Like 2

Missed out on a Magic Wok last Saturday as they had been closed for a week, only reopened on Sunday. always have one when we are in Oulton Broad, which is quite often, I'll be back in Beccles tomorrow setting of at 05.00 on the bike to miss the heat hopefully.

• Like 1

After a lazy morning where putting up the bunting all round seemed the order of the day, at 11am we departed oulton broad, a slow pootle down oulton dyke, and if anyone knows water rail, between 1200 rpm, and 1600 rpm the whole boat shakes in sympathy with the engine, so after a few hundred yards of this, crash, that was the sugar jar, a few minutes later and crash, that was the (full) kettle. Later crash, that was the coffee jar, all vibrated across the work surfaces, at. Some point during mooring manoeuvres some more shaking must have occurred and the bottle of rum had joined the party on the floor. Luckily the only casualty was the kettle, with maybe some emergency handle repairs later.

En route we went through a swarm of flying bitey things, so all of a sudden I was trying to get the ones biting off me, and at the same time applying bite cream to the bites, yuk.

We arrived at beccles to be greeted by kids throwing themselves off the road bridge into the river, a quick blast on the horn appraised them of my presence. And they were reported to beccles yacht club staff on arrival.

When I arrived, water rail chose her spot, the wind caught her and rounded her up, so as I was now perfectly positioned for the stern mooring, I gave a quick burst of reverse, stepped ashore and tied up,then went back aboard and took a spring line from a centre cleat, to aid straightening back up.

Currently moored up in the shade,

16603103177111737231601.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, grendel said:

After a lazy morning where putting up the bunting all round seemed the order of the day, at 11am we departed oulton broad, a slow pootle down oulton dyke, and if anyone knows water rail, between 1200 rpm, and 1600 rpm the whole boat shakes in sympathy with the engine, so after a few hundred yards of this, crash, that was the sugar jar, a few minutes later and crash, that was the (full) kettle. Later crash, that was the coffee jar, all vibrated across the work surfaces, at. Some point during mooring manoeuvres some more shaking must have occurred and the bottle of rum had joined the party on the floor. Luckily the only casualty was the kettle, with maybe some emergency handle repairs later.

Β 

16603103177111737231601.jpg

Thought you would know her little quirks by now grendel.Β :facepalm:

So this evening it's the wine and cheese, sending someone to get some bread was mentioned, so I volunteered to provide some wholemeal bread.

Last weekend I visited a steam rally, and one exhibit was a second world war flour grinder, being run by a small steam engine, on a whim I bought a bag of wholemeal flour for Β£1, on another whim I brought bread making ingredients with me, so I have baked some bread for the wine and cheese event.

I now need to clean the galley and do some washing up, but the loaves are being cooked and looking good( for being cooked in a boat oven.

IMG_20220812_173158.jpg

IMG_20220812_173919.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 2