Boat Vs Something Else

SwanR

For those who have expressed an interest in Dorset and Purbeck, I have just put together a flavour from my last visit, 3 years ago now in collage form.

20220530_064649-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.d08538eeab5c11de90164e88ffaacf79.jpg20220530_064157.thumb.jpg.9caad1c81460823b0c235236868a9c8e.jpg20220530_064020.thumb.jpg.2ebb0ab6ed7f5ef6db3d1a01331a0cc3.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Mouldy said:

We have friends who live near Inverness.  Our plan is to hire a motor caravan from Inverness, leave our car with our friends and take maybe 10 days to go around the tour.  We’ll have to see how things pan out.  We were going to do it this year, but foreign travel restrictions caused the NC500 to be far too busy last year and I was fearful that it would be the same this.

As long as monkeypox doesn’t replace Covid to create another pandemic, maybe next year.

We had 16 nights in our motorhome on the NC500 last year and it was nowhere near long enough. So many places to see and visit along the way. We loved it.

• Like 3

I think that after 13 years with our own boat and visiting the same places again and again, obviously where the water could take us, that we are very much enjoying travelling with the motorhome and exploring new places again.

We are enjoying the sense of freedom it gives us. Waking up somewhere new every day if we choose and exploring parts of the country that we have not seen before.

We loved the boat, but we did find that it was becoming restrictive and we were getting bored of visiting the same places again and again.

We have done lodge holidays as well in Cornwall which while nice do mean that you are tied to the one spot for a week, always coming back to the same place. It isn't something we are that keen on.

17 hours ago, Mouldy said:

I prefer the south side of the county and avoid Newquay. That said, I do like Perranporth, and some places nearby, like St Agnes.  Where we stayed last year, on the Lizard Peninsula is another favoured area, with a stunning coastline and some more unspoiled spots, like Kennack Sands, Poldhu Cove and Gunwalloe, where there is a church literally on the beach.

The Eden Project is probably the most famous and visited attraction in the area and is well worth a visit, as are The Lost Gardens of Heligan.

I really do recommend that you go, Jean.  Obviously, going in June or maybe later in September will mean that you miss the peak of the summer crowds

For me no trip to Cornwall is complete without a visit to Polperro, about 4 years ago we stayed in The Crumplehorn Inn, which is the pub at the top of the village, every morning I got to walk those narrow streets with the dog as I took her down to the beach for her early morning walk, absolute bliss!

This year we are staying for a week in a pub just outside Lynmouth North Devon, not been there for a few years so looking forward to it!

And yes, pubs feature quite strongly where ever I go!  :default_biggrin:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tim said:

For me no trip to Cornwall is complete without a visit to Polperro, about 4 years ago we stayed in The Crumplehorn Inn, which is the pub at the top of the village, every morning I got to walk those narrow streets with the dog as I took her down to the beach for her early morning walk, absolute bliss!

This year we are staying for a week in a pub just outside Lynmouth North Devon, not been there for a few years so looking forward to it!

And yes, pubs feature quite strongly where ever I go!  :default_biggrin:

I like the area around Lynmouth and Lynton. The Doone Valley, Watersmeet, Porlock and Exmoor.  Woolacombe and Croyde not so far away either.  Beautiful area.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I thought that I would continue this topic with my recent midweek break at Thoresby Hall Hotel. A beautiful historic house, one of the Warner's chain, situated in Thoresby Park in Nottinghamshire.

We had a great time, the weather helped as it was still proper summer, and thankfully a little cooler than we have had here in Norfolk at times. The hotel has its own grounds and restricted access to guests only but sits in the wider parkland which is open to anyone. That being said, even in the school holiday time of August it was quiet with very few people about. The hotel was probably about full but it never felt crowded at all.

Warner's know their market and it is mostly older folk who you will see. This hotel is quite sprawling and on a number of levels but there are ramps where possible and lifts everywhere as an alternative to the many stairs. But if concerned about mobility this might not be the one for you.

The staff are lovely and they work really hard. We ate in the main restaurant on half board. It's part table service, part help yourself. The food was amazing and really excellent quality. A roast dinner every evening if that's what you want, with plenty of other choice. A nice bit of luxury as we hadn't done a holiday in a hotel for about seven years. But you do feel you have to dress up a bit more for the evening meal as opposed to the total dressing down that you can do on a boat.

We had been upgraded to a historic room with a garden view so mostly stayed in the historic house part of the hotel. Compared to a boat we had so much space. The view of course didn't change every day as it would when you choose where to moor a boat but it was a lovely view and I never tired of it.

There is everything you need on site and so the choice is yours as to whether you stay put or use it as a touring base. We parked the car on Monday and didn't leave until Friday, preferring walks around the park to venturing anywhere else. And the evening entertainment is there if that's what you fancy. We watched a lovely young vocal/pianist called Lillia Grace who performed in the Great Hall each evening.

All in all ... total relaxation and it compared very favourably to hiring a boat. The price was considerably less than the same break on a luxury boat, but comparable to what you might pay for a mid-range boat at this time of year for four nights, bearing in mind that the hotel included half-board. It was a definite winner for me, very relaxing and on my list for a return trip sometime.

As ever ... here's a little video of our stay.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1