Going South

Maybe it's because we see the Lower Bure and Breydon as a passage. That's certainly how I viewed it. Can we see it as a place to cruise it its own right. The day we went south was sunny and early morning alone the Lower Bure was quite magical. Whilst Breydon was busier, looking at the birds on the mudflats in the sun was great. If the tides are like they were when we went you could have an early start from Acle. Turn round at the Berney Arms and come straight back - all in one day.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Sime years back we left New Inn Horning following on from the boat show.Got to Loddon just before  9.00.pm.

Just as The Angel PH was getting it's second wind and looking forward to a proper evening's entertainment. 

One of the pubs I have entered at dusk and left in daylight. 

Thanks to Dave and Brenda,  she is sadly no longer with us. 

Regards Marge and Parge 

23 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Isn’t that an interesting difference in perspective. I look on a north to south passage as a highlight, a must unless we can’t do it because the tides aren’t conducive. 

I agree, Helen. I always look upon the Great Yarmouth- Breydon crossing as a fun challenge to be enjoyed. That said, I don't look upon it as a must because I can also enjoy a full week north, especially if I'm able to pass under Wroxham and Wayford. I'm still to do a full week south on the basis for me there isn't quite enough cruising time to fill a week because I do like a full cruising day.

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

because I do like a full cruising day.

The only hesitation I’ve had about our move up north is fitting in several full cruising days. I love how spread out things are down south. How do you do long cruising days up north without going over the same areas several times over your week? I must admit we’ve not had enough experience of a week confined to the north yet though. 

Over the last two days I've played chase on breydon with the spirit of breydon, I assume they have been training as kept turning back and forth, most chases were 18 knots+, they couldn't keep up at 21 knots. :default_biggrin:

I must add with a friendly wave not doing a runner, yesterday was back in from southwold and today's run was testing after changing fuel system this morning. 

The £25 racor ripoffs work fine and beat £230 each, although they will have racor elements next trip out.

13 hours ago, YnysMon said:

How do you do long cruising days up north without going over the same areas several times over your week?

When I say full cruising days, I really mean full in terms of activity, including walking off the boat, mudweighting, short stop offs and whatever else takes my fancy. The north has so much packed in to a small area. Also, it can be surprising how long it takes to cruise "fiddly bits" like the top of the Ant, Coltishall locks, Upton Dyke and take in out of the way spots like South Walsham inner broad. I've done some doubling back sometimes, usually for convenience like revisiting Wroxham to pass under the bridge, but in a week I don't repeat much.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I thought The Angel had closed again? Shame, as it seemed to be doing well for a short time after lockdown. 

Sorry I am going back a few years and yes it is currently closed.

We only borrow a few moments and times that we remember, generations and circumstances move us on. Hopefully the ones that enjoy the moment in the moment will appreciate it.

Kindest Regards

Marge and Parge

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MargeandParge said:

Sorry I am going back a few years and yes it is currently closed.

We only borrow a few moments and times that we remember, generations and circumstances move us on. Hopefully the ones that enjoy the moment in the moment will appreciate it.

Kindest Regards

Marge and Parge

Congratulations! You have won the internet with that one.

Great couple of lines right there. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 02/06/2022 at 22:26, Broads01 said:

Thanks for sharing your tale and photos, it was an entertaining read. I'm glad you had good service from NBD. I hired from them for the first time last year and was appalled by how sloppy they were on takeover day and we had a late takeover so hopefully they've made improvements. 

We had trouble with Fair Duchess back in 2009. It was labeled a 'Premier' or 'Blue Chip' or whatever equivalent at the time. Curtains were raggy, the seat back fell off, batteries died and one of the toilets leaked under the floor(that needed time fixing). 

When we politely mentioned this on checkout they looked at us as if we were from the moon! Probably all changed now.

Anyway, Executive looks to be in a different class.

I think two weeks is needed to cruise north and south comfortably. With some older, rougher boats those long hauls down south can be punishing.