Denham Owl - A Morning Road Trip.

I hope this counts. It's also a bit of a thank you to the forum for tourist information.

The weather forecast said it was going to be fine for the whole of the jubilee weekend so we planned to trundle gently over to Brundall on Friday and stay until Sunday. Then the forecast changed so we shortened the plan to Saturday evening. We came home Saturday afternoon...:default_sad:

Someone on the BGM facebook group instigated a jubilee gathering on Friday afternoon which gave us chance to meet a lot of the friendly folk who moor with us as neighbours. We retired early while some stayed for karaoke and such into the night. A great crowd though, and a shame we may not be there next year.

Product placement is an effective marketing tool; if you read about PG Tips for long enough you will start to believe you should be buying it. Similarly, I have read so much about Ranworth on this forum that I was almost compelled to go there on Saturday. First surprise: it's only 7 miles from Brundall. So where is the great divide between North and South rivers? I'd guess there probably isn't one, it just sounds like it when written down. :default_hiding: 

I was told to make sure I climbed the church tower. On the way over we thought we had found the church when we came across this:

20220604_100719.thumb.jpg.427203d632c25ef21eaf4db38af5aec5.jpg

20220604_100539a.thumb.jpg.d165dab38422f7f5b8c6b624c5027bae.jpg

The church tower and small graveyard at Panxworth. Reported as being derelict in 1847, rebuilt, then pulled down again in 1969. Some interesting grave stones.

As we approached Ranworth the church didn't look very open (it was 10am) but we managed to get “pole position” parking, overlooking the staithe.

20220604_101856.thumb.jpg.d31802ad8853abe993ca28089ed81089.jpg

I noticed Papaver and thought someone has chucked a whole lot more money into his hole in the water than I have mine. Money well spent in his case. It wasn't that warm and the wind was a bit keen. Some hardy souls were having a late breakfast outdoors but we decided to have a look around and earmark it for a return later in warmer weather. We bought a couple of bits from the shop and noted the walk to the wildlife centre.

Wroxham Barns next. I didn't expect much as I knew it was aimed mainly at families with young children but even so it was disappointing to find some units unoccupied and some closed. The appeal to Mrs Raser should have been newly opened “Just Sew Small”. A well stocked place but very expensive. Coffee in the Courtyard Cafe was OK though, probably the first time we've bought drinks out since lockdown.

Into Wroxham/Hoveton to see if I could melt my credit card in Angling Direct before she could melt hers in Emma's Boutique. Sorry lads, I lost again but I'm sure there'll be a return match. :default_fishing2:

It started to rain as we got back to the car so after lunch at the boat we had a steady trundle home.

Thanks to all for the tourist information, this is why we don't go abroad; there is still so much to see right under our noses. :1242_flag_gb:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Interesting post and photos, particularly of the church at Panxworth. 

We went to Wroxham Barns ourselves yesterday morning. We arrived at 9.55 and most of the shops duly opened at 10am. We bought a picture from The Gallery, always a joy to look round in there. The lady who runs it is very chatty and friendly. My daughter picked up something for herself from another shop and we looked round most of the outlets between us. Coffee at the back in the picnic area was nice and the car park filling up when we left.

It's a regular visit for us and I would recommend it for a stop if anyone is travelling around the area by car.

• Like 3

Thanks for that Jean, I might pop there this afternoon as I’m stuck for something to do while waiting for my holiday buddy to arrive in the morning. It’ll save me looking around for little jobs onboard and then not finishing what I start!!!

Will report back whether I found it more like your report or Floydrasers. 

• Like 1

I haven’t been to Wroxham Barns since I lived in Norfolk back in the early 90’s. Will definitely have to go and visit at some point. I still think of distance travelling around Norfolk as how long it takes to get to the destination by boat and then when going by car, realise how close everything actually is!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lulu said:

still think of distance travelling around Norfolk as how long it takes to get to the destination by boat and then when going by car, realise how close everything actually is!  

Yes, shall I take boat out yesterday from Stalham and stop off at Lathams, or spend a few minutes in the car? Went with the latter and got there so quickly I missed the turning!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

Thanks for that Jean, I might pop there this afternoon as I’m stuck for something to do while waiting for my holiday buddy to arrive in the morning. It’ll save me looking around for little jobs onboard and then not finishing what I start!!!

Will report back whether I found it more like your report or Floydrasers

We’ll, I didn’t stay at wroxham barns for long, but that was mainly cos I’d have spent a shedload of money if I had. Some really lovely stuff there, somewhere to take my mum in the summer, me thinks. But you are right Floydraser, quite a few empty units. Didn’t go in cafe so no comments on that. What I did get was some Norfolk goats cheese and 2 bottles of cider to compare to my friend’s when she brings it from her own orchard in Sussex. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, YnysMon said:

That sounds like a few good days out. Shame you didn't get into Ranworth church. It normally looks closed on a quiet day, even when it isn't. Did you try the door?

No but we will definitely go back. It was a bit chilly with a fresh breeze so I'm guessing it wouldn't have been as pleasant as it could be at the top. Now we know that Ranworth is just up the road we'll most likely plan a longer visit later.

7 hours ago, floydraser said:

I noticed Papaver and thought someone has chucked a whole lot more money into his hole in the water than I have mine. Money well spent in his case. It wasn't that warm and the wind was a bit keen. Some hardy souls were having a late breakfast outdoors but we decided to have a look around and earmark it for a return later in warmer weather. We bought a couple of bits from the shop and noted the walk to the wildlife centre.

You should have come over to say hello and a cupper. Between the two Brooms you could have bought a really nice house. Fairstar has just been relaunched and looked stunning. 

D85569D0-684A-41F1-A4F3-4E2C06A6175E.jpeg

0F0B9B72-B1E9-4DB2-8182-3C856AAEF21B.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, floydraser said:

I did wonder if any forumites were about. Next time I'll try and be less shy...:default_smiley-angelic002:

17 hours ago, BrundallNavy said:

You should have come over to say hello and a cupper. Between the two Brooms you could have bought a really nice house. Fairstar has just been relaunched and looked stunning. 

From first hand experience,  Papaver and her crew are very welcoming and hospitable !

• Like 4

• 3 months later...