Hi everyone.... Mud weight?

brandenjg

Hello, i'm new to the broads side of boating. I've finally got my head around things like tolls and 24 hour moorings etc but one thing im confused about is mud weights. Im used to boating by the sea so I've always used a traditional anchor, but after talking to a few people whilst out on the boat i got told to get myself a mudweight or id get hooked in all the braches in the river. My question is where do i get a mud weight from? Its not something i've come across before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This question was asked recently by another member.

If your near the north broads, Norfolk Marine in Hoveton (Wroxham to most!) will have one. Not my favourite place to shop i like service with a smile or at least a bit of jovial banter! but you should get what you want.

I can't help but agree with MBAMarine's view of Norfolk Marine. It's very easy to just be ignored in there. When they're busy with another customer, there's no acknowledgement of your presence giving any signal that they'll get round to you shortly. Additionally, the prices are high. I only go in there when I have to, rather than out of choice.

I can't help but agree with MBAMarine's view of Norfolk Marine. It's very easy to just be ignored in there. When they're busy with another customer, there's no acknowledgement of your presence giving any signal that they'll get round to you shortly. Additionally, the prices are high. I only go in there when I have to, rather than out of choice.

I couldnt agree more, i only use it when i have to. Anoyingly they can be very competive when your buying trade, they realy sting retail so if your cheaky enough ask them for discount! They have always needed some serious competition. I was once accused of black mailing them when i asked them to better a price on a cooker! I told them its just good business practice to find the best price, do you want to make a sale. They matched the price meaning i didnt have to wait for the other supplier to deliver.

Brian Ward is alot more fun, you are always made welcome by Tanya, Nick or occasionaly Johnathon.

Maybe it's just a question of approach.

I've had a few discounted items from Norfolk Marine, and although most other things have been list, when you factor in postage or traveling further afield, they're about the same cost.

I agree completely about Brian Ward though, I've had very good service from Tanya and Nick for many years now. They even once honoured a manufacturer's guarantee themselves, when that manufacturer reneged on their own terms.

I will not enter that particular debate but if you want your mudweight with a smile and genuine gratitude I suggest you go to Ludham Bridge, I lost mine down South, gave them a ring and they had one waiting for me when I passed a couple of days later.

You mention “Riversâ€, unless you really mean actual broads rather than the river system where there is any apreciable flow then a mud weigh is not nearly as much use as what you currently probably have, i.e. a good old East Coast mud type plough pattern anchor. A mud weight is useful on a broad but in my experience will not hold you any better than a decent anchor and chain of equivalent weight even in a broad, as for snagging, I have never had it happen and even if it does then you can use the same technique as you would at sea if snagged on a rock or similar . All that said, a mud weight is a lot cheaper and easier to clean off. Whatever you do make sure you keep your proper anchor for emergency use on the lower rivers and Breydon where a mud weight is a very poor second best.

Reason I'm buying my 18kg mudweight at Norfolk Marine? No brainer really.

NF @ £42.97

Brian Ward @ £67.91

Makes no odds to me as I'm travelling up from Buckinghamshire.

Reason I'm buying my 18kg mudweight at Norfolk Marine? No brainer really.

NF @ £42.97

Brian Ward @ £67.91

Makes no odds to me as I'm travelling up from Buckinghamshire.

so maybe their prices are not "so high" after all... :)

so maybe their prices are not "so high" after all... :)

As i said they can be very competitive, but they let themselves down with prices like just over £1 for a M6 dome nut, in what world should it cost that much? must be a good few hundred % mark up on that one, in fact i think i will check with beardshaws as to what that should cost, personly im still using what used to swept up of landamores floor!

With the differance in price i would say one is a trade price and one is not or one has VAT added and one doesnt. eitherway money talks and go with the cheapest.

Yes indeed, Norfolk Marine's prices for stainless nuts, bolts & screws are much more expensive than can be had elsewhere, and they're all only "A2" grade as well, so not fully salt-water resistant either.

As you say Beardshaws (less than half a mile away) are cheaper and carry a vast range, most sizes and heads, metric, UNC, UNF etc..

I generally buy nyloc stainless steel nuts in scewfix, in packs of ten or fifty, as well as washers, so that when I need a specific length bolt I just need to get that on it's own from NM.

It's horses for courses. I buy various items from Norfolk Marine, Beardshaws, Aquafax, French Marine, Brian Ward, ASAP and Marine Industrial . All fairly local, and each has their own forte with certain products.

Norfolk Marine have the greatest range of general chandlery though, and laid out so that all items can be viewed clearly. Like them or not, if they ever closed down, they'd leave a damn great hole in the local supply situation. :)

Thanks for the quick response everyone. Good to know theres a couple of places around to check out. Slightly confused about taking a stick to brian ward (beating a good price i guess). Comparing the cast iron weights (ebay) to shop bought mud weights, does the shape make any difference whatsoever to drag. The last thing i want to see is the boat floating away with a trail of mud rising behind it.

Im thinking if i take both an anchor and mud weight i can always see which i get on better with.

Comparing the cast iron weights (ebay) to shop bought mud weights, does the shape make any difference whatsoever to drag.

Probably not, as long as the bottom is flat.

When you try using a mudweight though, you may find that when pulling it up it sometimes catches the underside of the bow, especially if being used by the "crew" !

In that case, I'd much rather wack the boat with a rounded iron shape than anything with sharp corners.

Having said that, they are also available in this slightly more rounded shape http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Cross ... 7767779000

I find another usefulness of old sack weights on a boat is to help the trim across the boat, especially in the winter when any off-centre tanks are left empty.

Yes indeed, Norfolk Marine's prices for stainless nuts, bolts & screws are much more expensive than can be had elsewhere, and they're all only "A2" grade as well, so not fully salt-water resistant either.

As you say Beardshaws (less than half a mile away) are cheaper and carry a vast range, most sizes and heads, metric, UNC, UNF etc..

I generally buy nyloc stainless steel nuts in scewfix, in packs of ten or fifty, as well as washers, so that when I need a specific length bolt I just need to get that on it's own from NM.

It's horses for courses. I buy various items from Norfolk Marine, Beardshaws, Aquafax, French Marine, Brian Ward, ASAP and Marine Industrial . All fairly local, and each has their own forte with certain products.

Norfolk Marine have the greatest range of general chandlery though, and laid out so that all items can be viewed clearly. Like them or not, if they ever closed down, they'd leave a damn great hole in the local supply situation. :)

I would have to agree 100% with that. but if they were to close down then i would definatly be in the que to pick up the batton!

Try Jones at St Ives on your way from Bucks.A good selection of gear and nice to deal with.I think they are on line.

Would certainly try them if I hadn't already ordered and paid for some Ruddersafe spares which I need to collect from NF.