Oulton Broad - Convenience Store

• 4 weeks later...

Have now used this shop, it is well stocked, light and airy and somehow seems much bigger than the old Spar shop.There is a vertical banner on the pavement outside saying Coop, so there must be some affiliation there for the stock supply

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The co op doesn't own nisa, they purchased the wholesale rights to supply the 2k plus nisa store's nationwide. The co op wanted to expand the reach of its own branded products whilst off loading many of its franchised stores. The nisa tie up was seen a the quickest route to achieve this. Its been a huge success for them so far, norfolk and Suffolk are predominantly served by the East of England and Chelmsford start co op,s the Grey and Blue co op are co op group ( the big original co op based in Manchester) we don't own or operate many stores in the area. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andyg said:

The co op doesn't own nisa, they purchased the wholesale rights to supply the 2k plus nisa store's nationwide. The co op wanted to expand the reach of its own branded products whilst off loading many of its franchised stores. The nisa tie up was seen a the quickest route to achieve this. Its been a huge success for them so far, norfolk and Suffolk are predominantly served by the East of England and Chelmsford start co op,s the Grey and Blue co op are co op group ( the big original co op based in Manchester) we don't own or operate many stores in the area. 

That figures.  I’m sure I’ve seen Co-Op branded goods in Roy’s, Lathams and what used to be Throwers in Ludham.

8 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

That figures.  I’m sure I’ve seen Co-Op branded goods in Roy’s, Lathams and what used to be Throwers in Ludham.

I was in throwers a couple of weeks back. I'm pretty sure that's owned by the East of England co op now. It's identical to one of there stores. Lots of work going on in the back ground for us with the nisa business. It will eventually be all brought in house.

7 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

When I was in Roy's earlier in the year they had several co-op products for sale.

I think it's upto about 5 6 hundred lines now Alan this will grow over time. Its not just our own branded goods we supply them it's just about everything barring news papers etc

Nisa were are a wholesaler the same as bookers. They Operated a franchised network of approximately 2k stores. The co op do not own or operate any of the stores. Nisa wholesale was purchased by us back in 2018 as vehicle to promote and expand our brand ( basically we purchased the right to supply nisa stores )footprint in the retail food sector. All existing co op franchises were transfered across to the nisa brand. Nisa retail is still owned by its members and operate on a co op based business model. That's it in a nutshell. Obviously I'm a co op employee well retired since January. 

obviously you worked for coop but it appears your information is a little outdated;-

Nisa Retail Limited (/ˈnaɪsə/ NY-sə;[5] formerly Nisa-Today's and Northern Independent Supermarkets Association) is a brand and groceries wholesaler (or "symbol group") operating in the United Kingdom. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Co-operative Group Limited.[6] It was formerly a mutual organisation owned by its members and operating "...like a co-operative, using the collective buying power of the large group of members to negotiate deals with suppliers".[7]

1 hour ago, Meantime said:

You might want to tell NISA to update their website then!!

2017 It’s our 40th Birthday!

2018 In May 2018 the Co-op completed its acquisition of Nisa Retail Limited.

Link to NISA website

They probably do need to. My info is 100% correct. Il stand by that. Don't take my word for it tho !! Pop into your local nisa and ask your nice local independent retailer. 😉 

I used to shop with my mum and dad in the ORIGINAL Cooperative store in Yorkshire Street, ROCHDALE. Not Manchester where the dialect is distinctly different, thems aliens in mancunia tha nos. Nowt wrong with the divi as it was called…..

Ardent Rochdale boy…..

Martin 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, andyg said:

They probably do need to. My info is 100% correct. Il stand by that. Don't take my word for it tho !! Pop into your local nisa and ask your nice local independent retailer. 😉 

Somebody also needs to inform the Government then, or more specifically Companies House!!!!

Company Name NISA RETAIL LIMITED

Company Number 00980790

Confirmation Statement date 17/08/2018

Shareholding 1: 59760 ORDINARY shares held as at the date of this confirmation statement

Name: CO-OPERATIVE GROUP HOLDINGS (2011) LIMITED

I think your misunderstanding stems from the following. All of the independent shops trading under the NISA logos were also shareholders of NISA Retail Limited, which despite its name was actually the wholesaler and distribution to all the independent shops. These independent shops as shareholders of NISA Retail Limited company number 00980790 have sold that business to the Co-op, who is the sole shareholder of NISA Retail Limited. In return the independent shops benefit from the increased buying power of the co-op as well as an expanded product range and get to continue using the NISA logo's and branding. The independent shops remain exactly that, independent, but they no longer have any stake in what used to be their wholesale / distribution arm, NISA Retail Limited. The independent shops get to do what they do best, running their own independent business without having to worry about being shareholders off and having a say in running a much larger more complex wholesale and distribution business.

Whichever way you look at it, the facts are NISA Retail Limited is wholly owned by the Co-operative Group and the independent stores operating under the NISA branding continue to be exactly that, independent businesses and no longer shareholders of NISA Retail Limited.

companies_house_document.pdf

10 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

Is it potentially the case that 'Nisa Retail Ltd' was known internally by another division name and the independent bit is known as the 'retail' division given that it is what it functions as?

I don't think so. If you look at the confirmation statement from the previous year it runs to 133 pages and lists all the individual limited companies or sole traders who were shareholders of NISA Retail Limited. Each with differing numbers of shares. I guess depending on whether they had one shop or a few shops in a local area.

There are approx 12 entries per page and the statement runs to 133 pages, so somewhere in the region of 1600 individual shareholders owning 59760 shares between them. I don't know how much the co-op paid for NISA Retail Limited but each of the shareholders would have got a percentage based upon the numbers of shares they held, although more than likely it was a sale of convenience to offload the wholesale arm and give them access to the improved buying power of the co-op as well as the expanded product range. 

companies_house_document (1).pdf

On 03/07/2022 at 13:40, PaulN said:

Have now used this shop, it is well stocked, light and airy and somehow seems much bigger than the old Spar shop.There is a vertical banner on the pavement outside saying Coop, so there must be some affiliation there for the stock supply

I had no intention of causing this battle, I only said there was a Coop Banner outside !!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4