Breydon

craigmc67

4 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

I did say the same thing last night but my post got deleted

You are not alone, lots of posts on Breydon have been deleted which appears to be causing the problems :default_norty:

10 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Do you know why, was any reason given?

Apologies, my post was making light of the mentioned deleted posts in this topic which referenced the running aground being due to posts on Breydon being missing.

With regards to any posts that have been removed on this thread, I think FlyingFortress may know more.

Sorry for any confusion due to my attempt at humour :default_smile:

2 minutes ago, BroadsExplorer said:

Apologies, my post was making light of the mentioned deleted posts in this topic which referenced the running aground being due to posts on Breydon being missing.

Ah whoosh, now I feel daft for missing the joke. :default_dunce:

1 hour ago, BroadsExplorer said:

With regards to any posts that have been removed on this thread, I think FlyingFortress may know more.

And your comment did genuinely make me smile 🙂

going back to the topic of the missing posts on Breydon, once through the bridge, this is the sight that greets you, anyone want to point out the first visible green post, As I know the area I have already turned to port and am already heading in the right direction, but a newcomer might not know that the posts they are looking to stay between have been replaced with temporary bouys.

the first visible green post here is so far away it takes some spotting.

to me it is imperative that the Broads Authority take rapid action to replace the missing posts in this area, especially since the skippers handbooks and indeed the BA webpage clearly state stay within the posts, and mention nothing about bouys.

add low visibility and dusk conditions, and its easy to see why the channel can be missed.

Stay within posts - there is shallow water outside the posted channel.

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating-the-broads/getting-safely-through-great-yarmouth

DSCN0467.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

The BA need to get a wriggle on and sort a few more issues out.  We passed the Cantley moorings earlier today (by the pub) and there’s a section taped off, presumably for quay heading repairs and when we arrived at Pyes Mill, there are are several sections taped off there, too.  Coming into peak holiday season, closing moorings for essential repairs that could and should have been done over the quieter months, is hardly ideal and if the speed the moorings at the Commissioner’s Cut were repaired is indicative of the speed we should expect them to work at, it could be next year before these are done. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, grendel said:

DSCN0467.JPG

I agree with the point of your post but your photo shows a row of closely spaced green marker buoys and I can see a row of red posts over to the left.  I would not be in any doubt where the channel was.

In addition I would expect to see green markers to starboard when coming in from the sea but a hirer should not need to know that, in my view.

But a channel visible at 11PM in the dark?  Not a hope!

I only went over Breydon once in the dark, back in the 60's on a towing job.  I have never done it again in my life and never will!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I agree with the point of your post but your photo shows a row of closely spaced green marker buoys and I can see a row of red posts over to the left.  I would not be in any doubt where the channel was.

In addition I would expect to see green markers to starboard when coming in from the sea but a hirer should not need to know that, in my view.

But a channel visible at 11PM in the dark?  Not a hope!

I only went over Breydon once in the dark, back in the 60's on a towing job.  I have never done it again in my life and never will!

Be careful what you expect to see when coming in from sea. Always check the chart for the direction of buoyage.

Best example I can think of is coming in from The Sunk off Harwich.

Head inward towards London and the first Lateral mark ( Port and Starboard marks) is Black Deep 1 which is Green. 

Head inward towards Harwich/Felixstowe and the first Lateral mark is The Walker Buoy which is Red. Both need to be passed on your Starboard side to stay in the Channel.

15 minutes ago, FlyingFortress said:

Be careful what you expect to see when coming in from sea. Always check the chart for the direction of buoyage.

Best example I can think of is coming in from The Sunk off Harwich.

Head inward towards London and the first Lateral mark ( Port and Starboard marks) is Black Deep 1 which is Green. 

Head inward towards Harwich/Felixstowe and the first Lateral mark is The Walker Buoy which is Red. Both need to be passed on your Starboard side to stay in the Channel.

I shall have to remember to tell all that to my customers, next time I do a trial run.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Andrewcook said:

What like to know is Why the Eastern News Press Papers  have to Photo and Print of an Incidence of a Boat going aground. I think this Harm's Broads reputation of visiting or wish to go on the Broads including Crossing Breydon waters particularly.

Slow news day Andrew

I have just had a thought!  :default_icon_idea:  Now beware, me having thoughts can be dangeroose! but just bear with me, no no no, not you missus, I said bear, not bare! Oooh we do get some naughty people on here. :default_eusa_naughty:.

Now to be serious if that is remotely possible.

Having traversed Breydon many times on all sorts of boats it has just occurred to me that the majority of the boats that are always aground when I have traversed were bathtubs, barring one that was a seagoing boat that somehow lost the plot.

Perhaps, I thought that lack of visibility from the steering position in this type of boat could be partially responsible for some of these incidents.

I wonder if a recommendation could be made to hirers intending to cross Breydon that the Cap'n post a lookout in the forward well to indicate where to navigate between the posts that mat be obscured by curtains etc.   

• Like 1

So I will try again.

Crossing Breydon keep red ones on your port side (left) and green ones on your Starboard ( right) going south and the opposite going north. so basically keep one colour one side and the other colour on the other. This applies to any marker posts or buoys .

Don't overthink it and you don't go around. 

Simples.

Cos if you do overthink it and start posting about what to do if you start to talk about what you would expect if you come in from the sea or even IALA buoyage.but is that IALA A or IALA  B. 

Or what is the direction of buoyage in the UK as I said in my example earlier in this thread.

Or do you follow what a very esteemed hire boat operator said earlier and expect green buoys on your right.

Then run aground in Rockland :default_icon_e_surprised:

I obviously can't post what I said earlier so how about KISS . Keep it simple stupid.

One colour one side and the other in the other. Stay in the middle.

Or as one of my earliest lecturer's at marine college said. Simple things for simple sailors. 

Or better still read the blooming chart or map in Broads language.

Or even better don't try crossing Breydon in a hire boat in the dark.

• Like 4