Heading North

Guest mariotech

With bridge restrictions on the southern broads and favorable spring tides our loose plan for half term is to drop the radar arch and head up the northern broads for a few days. So with a min air draft of 11ft 2" where should we head.

Jonathan

I've never needed that much clearance so unsure about the Yarmouth bridges at low water, Acle bridge should be fine giving access to the Bure as far as Wroxham and the Thurne up to potter.

Hope that's of some use until someone comes along to give imformation on the Yarmouth bridges, I could get under them at high water so have never worried.

I like Ranworth strathe(malthouse broad) ,chinese takaway delivered, a reasonable pub, but you can get as far as potter,and Wroxham,a nice diversion on the way back from potter is to turn right and go past hunters yard lovely mooring on the island ,very peacefull,or moor further down, the walk to the pub is worth it.The ferry at stokesby is also nice :wave

I've never needed that much clearance so unsure about the Yarmouth bridges at low water, Acle bridge should be fine giving access to the Bure as far as Wroxham and the Thurne up to potter.

Hope that's of some use until someone comes along to give imformation on the Yarmouth bridges, I could get under them at high water so have never worried.

We got a broom 37 under ,and que vadis,s bayliner...11ft ,with plenty to spare, just check the predicted hieght at Gorlston gauge,when it reads zero there,s over 12 ft under the bridges :wave

If you can moor at the Staithe then Horning is well worth a visit, because then you can choose either the Swan or the New Inn. We've eaten in both in the last fortnight and have had no complaints! :clap:clap:clap

Alternatively you can call ahead and book a mooring at the New Inn; free if you eat there.

The butcher's shop is well worth a visit... her home-cured bacon is most highly recommended! :grin::grin::grin:

We were considering venturing northwards too before the end of the year. Womack water is one of my favourites (or at least one of my favourites without a low bridge blocking the way!), and the little island that Diesel Falcon mentioned is off the same dyke. Another worth mention is Fleet Dyke down to South Walsham broad. Nice place to mudweight overnight. Just bear in mind it will be busy in the half-term so mooring spots at places like Ranworth Staithe will be at a premium!

If you plan to hit Yarmouth at low tide be careful under Breydon bridge. In September we timed our tip to do the same for easy passage under the bridges and the prop did touch the bottom going under Breydon bridge!

Unless you have money to burn too I would plan to wait for the flood at Yarmouth too the flow is very strong at low tide, should start to flood about 1hr 15mins after low water. While we were waiting the rangers came to collect our mooring fee, when I explained we were just waiting for the flood they didn't charge us.

The staithe at Horning can get very busy, if you have a tender moor on the island opposite the staithe on the front of Horning village marina (river side is BA 24hr moorings, marina side is private) there are 2 dingy bays on the staithe although its not uncommon to see people trying to get 40' cruisers in them even though the signs clearly state 12' max!

11'2" air draft will limit you to the Bure are far as Wroxham, the Thurne to potter and the Ant as far as Ludham Bridge (which isnt far) but you can moor before the bend in the river prior to the bridge.

Thanks for all the reply's. I am going to look for an online map now to check these places out. I thought we would be limited to Wroxham and Horning so any thing else is a bonus.

cheers Jonathan

Take a trip to hickling broad it will be tight but ok :grin:

Yeah defiantly, if Mariotech gets his boat through potter bridge it will open it up for everyone else.... once the rubble has been cleared! :clap

I've not been able to find a good map onilne so will have to wait till we get to the boat and hunt out the old paper one.

Would it be possible to create a map on here where people can tag interesting places or have links to pictures or posts about places.

Can anyone tell me the clearance at Acle bridge and are there mooring up river if we have to leave the arch down till we're through.

Acle Bride is about 12' give or take. Tidal range is roughly a foot or so. Cant be exact as we only need 9'6" with everything up so never really took all that much notice.

I've not been able to find a good map onilne so will have to wait till we get to the boat and hunt out the old paper one.

Would it be possible to create a map on here where people can tag interesting places or have links to pictures or posts about places.

Can anyone tell me the clearance at Acle bridge and are there mooring up river if we have to leave the arch down till we're through.

There are plenty of moorings up-river along the grass banks for £3/night, I recollect.

Hi Jonathan

We are out there from Saturday for a week. Before you set off over Breydon give the Yarmouth Rangers a call on the mobile and check with them as to optimum clearance for arrival at the bridges at Yarmouth. Also have a look at the tidal prediction charts. Without referring to them I think next Tuesday is the ' lowest lows and the highest highs'. I have have not got the Rangers' mob No with me but will reply tonight on the forum if that helps unless anyone else beats me to it.

Choices and preferences:-

Womack on the staithe or the island(only two slots I believe)-pub not far away!

Malthouse Broad - could be very busy at half term-always a lottery to get a berth. I have used the island mooring-not free!

Salhouse Broad - longish walk to the pub.

Acle fine- watch out if wind is coming from the SE -makes mooring interesting!

We are coming down from Stalham Sat evening, first port of call Womack ,Broom 29 Sedan. Will keep a lookout for you.

Don't scratch the GRP! :lol:

James The Ancient Mariner