Richardsons Forward drve 45. (RF45)

Clive, I'm enjoying the posts on the development of this boat as well as the RC45.

I was wondering, having suffered some chilly evenings on the broads - and knowing of the benefits on canal boats, are you ever likely to spray foam insulate your boats?

cheers and keep up the very good work!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Clive,

I had no idea about the existence of the boat which (as yet) never got off the drawing board with the ‘Eco boat’ and thank you for the latest updates and photos to see what you were talking about as regard to space (or lack thereof) in the bow of the boat.

Still, that is why you build boats and I look on and make suggestions – I know nothing about much but might hit up with an idea of merit every now and then 

As it has progressed it really is looking quite something now and you seem to have cracked the problem of how to make a forward steer boat somehow elegant with a bow that is not urm ‘bath tub’ in shape but over all offers all the things forward steer boats have in terms of practicality.

I look forward to when she is all finished and actually in the water.

Hi Dave,

sorry, I seem to have missed your question, I only know of a couple of liveaboard fiberglass boats which have been sprayfoam insulated, I guess the main reason for narrowboats being done is that they are metal and therefore would conduct the cold, also i should think it helps with sound deadening a bit..

Fiberglass has slightly more heat insulation than steel but also in the layup of the superstructure there is roughly 15mm of balsa wood on the horizontal surfaces which also acts as insulation. The main problem is ventilation to combat condensation and also fixed low and high vents for the gas cooker and the heaters.

Clive,

Still, that is why you build boats and I look on and make suggestions – I know nothing about much but might hit up with an idea of merit every now and then 

This is basically what I say to the boat builders, I come up with ideas but I as this is a family forum I cant print the words used to describe most of them !

• 1 month later...

Hi Andy,

We have been getting on with her, the Broadsman 5 and Moon Voyager had to be finished first so we had 3 boats in build which slowed her down but now they are out and we have just got the Carousel 3 mouldings in but she is coming along well.

The galley units are built and so is most of the furnature except the saloon, unfortunately my camera is not capturing the rooms very well so I have only got a picture of the outside with the canopies on. (they are now back off again) the peak mould is now being prepared to make that and the aft and mid cabins are looking good.

post-503-13671396689_thumb.jpg

It certainly looks good. It`s got that look of modern meets traddition. I still think it would look good with a fixed sectional, "raked" screen and foredeck though, any chance of that as an option Clive?. Also, when is she due to be launched, is it due to go in the fleet this year?.

It certainly looks good. It`s got that look of modern meets traddition. I still think it would look good with a fixed sectional, "raked" screen and foredeck though, any chance of that as an option Clive?. Also, when is she due to be launched, is it due to go in the fleet this year?.

Hi Neil,

That wont be an option :)

She is about 10 weeks off her first hire but will probably be finished a little early.

I shoud have some better photos soon..

Hi Clive

Would fitting `Bow Fairleads` to bow stop the noise from the rope rubbing overnight on Carousel or is the bow lower on this one. It was pretty loud yet not heard it from Melody which has these.

ps had to look up the correct term for the the `rope guides` on the front (lol)

Hi Clive

Would fitting `Bow Fairleads` to bow stop the noise from the rope rubbing overnight on Carousel or is the bow lower on this one. It was pretty loud yet not heard it from Melody which has these.

ps had to look up the correct term for the the `rope guides` on the front (lol)

I had not thought of this although I did have the same issue last Christmas while mudweighted on South Walsham, I will have a look ice slice

• 2 weeks later...

Having booked this boat I am now paying a bit more attention to the build and reading this thread thoroughly :) , but I have a couple of questions ?? I know they may sound trivial, but hey from a womans perspective they are important !!

Having looked at the images I cant see where a satelite dome can be fitted - does this mean I have to send out the hubby to rotate the aerial around to get me a good picture ??

Can I expect some nice padded seat cushions in the front well (waterproof of course)??

We are not fitting the tracking dome to the Broadlander but have had some freeview areials on test for the last season and a half which seem to get a decent picture and all the channels without much fuss, tell Hubby not to worry.

The front well will only have upholseterd back rests but the seat bases are a nice shape :)

any more questions?

before I start a new build thread???

We've had great success with the Status 330 omnidirectional antenna on our boat, Clive since the digital switch-over. Admittedly this is only on the southern rivers, so I don't know how it would rate oop north. The only thing we have to do is retune the tv each time we move mooring, depending on which transmitter we are receiving from. They are certainly considerably cheaper than the sat dome version!

More questions ..... let me think !!

ah yes, what will the Helms seat look like ? having been used to the Broadsman and Carousel I must say that I am looking forward to Broadlander more than Hubby is. As a passenger on the centre cockpit type boats you dont get to see much unless you sit sideways or kneel forwards, so Broadlander looks like she will have lots of passenger viewing.

The only place I could think of a satelite dome going was in place of the mud weight !!!!! cheers

• 2 weeks later...

loving the new boats you're building they look amazing

do you have any plans of building smaller boats for the smaller groups or couples i used to love the style and layout of broadland tango we hired it in 96 and in it's last year on hire 2002 (i think) would be nice to have a modern take on that style of boat similar to siesta but with the layout of tango

or how about a new aft cockpit cruiser thats not of the "sporty" style but more the classic aft cockpit

loving the new boats you're building they look amazing

do you have any plans of building smaller boats for the smaller groups or couples i used to love the style and layout of broadland tango we hired it in 96 and in it's last year on hire 2002 (i think) would be nice to have a modern take on that style of boat similar to siesta but with the layout of tango

or how about a new aft cockpit cruiser thats not of the "sporty" style but more the classic aft cockpit

Hi Dave,

we have been focusing on the bigger boas as it was the first hull we produced, we are making a start on a new 38 foot single level boat in a few weeks time when this 45 foot version is built.

Glad you like what we are doing, we do too!