How Busy Can It Get?

MauriceMynah

On 30/10/2022 at 17:20, MauriceMynah said:

Delusions of something approaching adequacy yet again abound in my mind. 

My father always taught me that the best things in life cost the most money.

I am currently looking at a multi function  Ninja cooking device, will cook almost anything, including I assume,  Ninjas.

Now, this wonderful machine is pennies short of £300.00, well one penny to be exact. I would point out that this unit is both an air fryer and, using the other lid, a pressure cooker.

Before I perform such open wallet surgery there are a couple of things I thought I'd ask the experts on the forum

1. Is 'Ninja' a good make?

I ask this as I may be directed to a better manufacturer. 

2. Where would you advise me to go to acquire to purchase this miracle machine.

As ever, I await your advice while enjoying an afternoon libation.

I have just purchased a ninja from the cheaper end of the range, its a good little cooker for one or two people as it uses less power than an oven and cooks quicker, so far I have tried it on a few dishes, crisps it does quite well, chips, superb, and it will even cook a cheese and bacon wrap nicely (only room for 2 at a time though) and i also tried it on belly pork, i have to say it crisps up the fat nicely, still experimenting but liking the fact it uses less power to achieve the same results. I bought mine at currys, its the 3.8litre one, that air frys, roasts, dehydrates and reheats, the shelf price was £129, but I was surprised when I went to pay that it was only £99.99. The list price seems to be around £129 depending where you shop, I got lucky as the sales assistant said they normally sell out as soon a s they get them in, and they had 3 (one was the display model. while I was looking a young girl came in wanting 4 of them (grandmothers christmas presents to the family (only to be told one left on the shelf, one in stock and no forseeable date for restock. I guess I got lucky.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

You lot have something to answer for…worse than adverts.

Yes, I’ve succumbed and bought a Ninja multi cooker. Ninja, Amazon and John Lewis were all out of stock, so I got mine from AO for the same price, an eye watering £199. However, I can already see it’s going to cut down of the fuel bills. Tried some air fried frozen chips yesterday lunchtime. Half the time that they would take in the oven and 100% better. Yesterday evening, we had some peri peri chicken thighs…again half the time compared to oven roasting and so much better. This evening I tried out the pressure cooker option. A pumpkin and sweetcorn Thai curry, which was over cooked (too soft). I think 10 minutes with auto decompression would have been enough instead of 20 minutes.

I have plans to try out roasting a whole chicken tomorrow.

• Like 2

To save money if you have a gas hob, I recommend a portable/fixed induction hob.

We have a cheapo portable and fixed one that I inlaid into the work top.

I don't think Jill has used the gas hob since.

The biggest problem is how quick they are, I put 2 eggs to fry on and some beans on the new hob the beans burnt while I was doing the eggs!

paul

5 hours ago, YnysMon said:

You lot have something to answer for…worse than adverts.

Yes, I’ve succumbed and bought a Ninja multi cooker. Ninja, Amazon and John Lewis were all out of stock, so I got mine from AO for the same price, an eye watering £199. However, I can already see it’s going to cut down of the fuel bills. Tried some air fried frozen chips yesterday lunchtime. Half the time that they would take in the oven and 100% better. Yesterday evening, we had some peri peri chicken thighs…again half the time compared to oven roasting and so much better. This evening I tried out the pressure cooker option. A pumpkin and sweetcorn Thai curry, which was over cooked (too soft). I think 10 minutes with auto decompression would have been enough instead of 20 minutes.

I have plans to try out roasting a whole chicken tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

OF BABIES AND PUPPIES 

OK, Christmas is done and dusted, so that's that for another year but I found a particular activity confusing. 

The household in which I was a guest has a new puppy. The owners gave it Christmas presents,  a squeaky plastic Santa and a squeaky plastic Christmas cracker. It was also given a special dinner. 

The dog had no idea it was Christmas, nor will it have any particular memories of the occasion.

Why did they do all this on top of all the other things they had to do?

This lead me to thinking about parents with very young babies.  Do people give them presents when there can be no memories from the child as to what day it is? 

OK, I'm one of the "bah humbug" brigade but I do Wonder!

• Like 1

I know nothing of babies lol but dogs and puppies are aware of a break in routine as generally speaking they are content with expecting things to happen in a certain order.

Christmas can mean extra visitors, exited children and gift exchanges, all of which excites the dog. Being social animals they want to join in and every dog I've known wants to pull wrapping paper apart just like the people are doing. It is fun and basically an instinct being analogues to killing and eating prey.

Giving a gift to your dog helps use their excited energy and confirms their position in the pack.

The other theory is that a lot of us dog owners are a bit daft and just enjoy giving our dogs treats against any rational reason 😂

Take your choice 😁

Happy New Year 🍺

• Like 7

I gave my children gifts as babies, little baby grows with "Babies First Christmas" written across the chest, a leather bracelet each with a beautiful poem about sons written on the box something along the lines of "I may not always be here but I will always love you" (sick bucket alert) :default_biggrin: I put them away and gave them to them when they got older.

So yes although  babies are not aware at the time I could never have left them out and they now have keepsakes of their first Christmas x

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So, how many liveaboards does it take to change a light bulb?

In my case just one, but it's going to take over a week to do it!

I was enjoying a modest libation last night, when one of my lights went "pop". Not a problem, even for one with my limited DIY ability. 

The unit was one that took a cft (compact fluorescent tube). I decided to replace it with LEDs. Off to the chandler's I went.

I asked if there was an led equivalent of this bulb. No, came the reply. Fair enough, a new unit needed to be acquired.  Finding one I liked, I asked if it was LED. No, came the reply. Is there an led bulb (warm white) that would fit. Yes, the assistant replied. Do you stock them I asked. Err no came the reply.

So, the position was that they had warm white led lamps, but none that fitted any of the light fittings that they had in stock.

"Enough" I thought. I purchased the fittings and ordered tha lamps, which will arrive in about a week.

Leaving the shop I noticed my front offside tyre was flat. Checking the others found rear offside was pretty low too. Out with the Haynes and looked up "pumping up tyres". Ha! I am but one step away from being a machanic.  Found my tyre pumper upper, plugged one end into the tyre and the other into a handy socket I found. 30lbs all round looked more or less right and bingo, I’m back in business. 

After all this faffing I decided that a libation was needed, so I headed to Sutton staithe. They have decided to run only one proper ale for the rest of the winter, and it just had to be one of the new citrus beers that I dislike so much. Voting with my feet, I headed to the Neatishead White horse. Closed Tuesdays. Now I sit in the Stalham Swan. Good pint of Adnams best, real fire flickering to my right, and 60s music playing. Sanity is being restored. ( strictly my own version of Sanity of course)

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Oh, and another thing..

I was asked by my friends if I could look after their parrot, puppy and house while they went away for a couple of weeks.

Always a pleasure for me (and I get a  whole load of laundry done) so no problem.

I have long been of the view that it doesn't get really cold until late January, early February, so I didn't winterize anything. The cold snap we had in December was two days into my house sitting session, so not a lot I could do about it. I am now in the process of finding the ice damage sustained in the period. 

Only one thing discovered thus far. The starboard forward loo pump (Jabsco) seems to have failed. That is to say that when pumping the unmentionables out to the tank, there is no problem, when pumping in the flushing water, whilst about half goes where it should, the other half spreys all around the back of the toilet area.

Now, I've acquired a whole new pump assembly and immediately seen that to install said unit, I’m going to have to delve into areas where angels fear to delve. I can see this as one of those jobs that just keeps getting put off for one reason or another. 

The good news is that when I've replaced the light fitting, I'll be able to see more clearly the mess I'm making. Or am I best keeping in the dark?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Well done MM, I was unaware you had a version of sanity,  you certainly kept that well hidden.

I bet it was stored alongside all the other stuff you've put somewhere for safe keeping never to be seen again.

Have another libation just in case.:default_beerchug:

Ideally sanity should be stored in a decanter. If that's not practical a bottle will suffice. 

• Like 1

Having looked after a puppy for a couple of weeks you should well used to toilet style leaks.

You mention your friends. You'll find out who your friends really are; they're all on the list of volunteers to help with your toilet work. With previous experience I would love to help but... good heavens, is that the time?

What were the parrot's favourite topics of conversation?

3 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

So, how many liveaboards does it take to change a light bulb?

In my case just one, but it's going to take over a week to do it!

I was enjoying a modest libation last night, when one of my lights went "pop". Not a problem, even for one with my limited DIY ability. 

The unit was one that took a cft (compact fluorescent tube). I decided to replace it with LEDs. Off to the chandler's I went.

Good choice going LED, a number of fluorescent tube lights will be banned this year.

Could post the link but cant be arsed seeking permission :default_eusa_naughty:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, here I sit, in the Sutton Staithe Hotel,  small libation to hand, looking at a cardboard box that has just cost me pennies short of £700, and will cost not much less than that again to have fitted.

Now, I know what you are thinking.  Even MauriceMynah can fit a cardboard box to his boat,  but, dear reader, the contents is a power winch for my mudweight. 

Last year I found myself at Beccles yacht station and, as instructed, had dropped the mudweight off the bow. 

My attempts at retrieving said weight could best be described as pathetic.  I couldn't shift it. I had to wait till an octogenarian lady in a wheelchair came past. I asked for her assistance and sure enough the sweet lady went to the bow and retrieved the bloody thing for me.

This reminded me of when I was at Womak and suffered a similar humiliation for the same reason.

Enough was enough, and although this was a project had been low on the priorities my desire to moor mid broad pushed it higher.

So, given the lack of availability of octogenarians mid broad, I have bitten the bullet and find myself looking at a cardboard box and imagining the enormous bill that's to follow. 

One final small point, some of you will remember my post about changing light bulbs.  They are being fitted even as I type.  Things take me a long time to get done. DIY is a rude word to me.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Just a little tip in case you have to raise the mud weight again before the installation is complete.

If there are no octogenarians available of course 😥

When on a stern mooring.

Start engine

Let go stern ropes.

Proceed to bow or send crew.

Take in all available slack on mud weight rope and make secure again.

Engage clutch in of engine forward.

Boat will move forward slowly and will break the suction that the mud weight has formed with the river bed . Put engine in neutral and get octogenarian to pull in mud weight. If this does not break the suction then the application of a little throttle may be required.

If this fails, tie up stern ropes and return to the pub as you were never destined to leave in the first place.🫣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3