Breakfast On Boat Or Cafe

Andrewcook

10 minutes ago, Popeye said:

Oh well just leave the black pudding off the plate and keep the bacon and egg then. Does that make it vegetarian?

Eggs are OK, so long as you are not vegan :default_wink:

I'm actually partial to a cooked breakfast on holiday, but try to be healthy with it.

So scrambled eggs, not fried. Add to that some smoked salmon, hash browns (if they are baked), grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, beans.

Veggie sausages can be OK, depending on the type and brand - some are better than others.

However, if I ate that every day I would be even fatter than I currently am :default_blush:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

Eggs are OK, so long as you are not vegan :default_wink:

I'm actually partial to a cooked breakfast on holiday, but try to be healthy with it.

So scrambled eggs, not fried. Add to that some smoked salmon, hash browns (if they are baked), grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, beans.

Veggie sausages can be OK, depending on the type and brand - some are better than others.

However, if I ate that every day I would be even fatter than I currently am :default_blush:

We use copperstone pans in the van and at home so we can have a "fried" egg but without using any oil.

Much healthier than scrambled eggs loaded up with butter or cream.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Paul said:

I generally prefer to cook breakfast aboard, or more accurately in the van since we swapped from waterborne to land side transport. Far too often cooked breakfasts turn up with a huge pile of greasy hash browns and a lake of baked beans to make the plate look full with the odd slither of bacon and 2.5 inch long sausage hidden underneath. This is usually accompanied by some kind of boast on the menu about "local produce" and a bill of around a tenner. Neither beans nor hash browns have any place on a breakfast plate and anyone who inflicts them on me should be prepared for a keel hauling.

Ask for black pudding and most people look at you like you grew two heads overnight. 

Do it properly and breakfast creates one pan, one oven tray, a plate fork and knife each, a glass and a coffee can. Easily fits in the caravan's dishwasher plus it provides two of your five a day.

We tend to have beans, a big flat mushroom, grilled tomato, cauliflower hash browns and a glass of orange juice with our cooked breakfast so it is closer to four of our five a day.

Add a couple of slices of dry cured smoked bacon, a proper butchers sausage, a slice of Stornoway black pudding, a freshly laid poached egg and a slice of toast and you have the perfect start to the day.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cal said:

We use copperstone pans in the van and at home so we can have a "fried" egg but without using any oil.

Yes, I have a copperstone pan at home and it is wonderful for oil less frying, its almost impossible to stick eggs to it and it seems amazingly robust and durable.

3 minutes ago, Cal said:

When I do scrambled eggs at home at the weekend, I use just a little bit of butter in the pan, salt and pepper, and sprinkle  of mixed herbs, and then add some rough cut bits of cheese.

As the cheese melts, not only does it add flavour but stops the eggs from sticking to the pan.

During the week, I just do plain scrambled eggs in the microwave, in a Pyrex bowl. Quick and easy, then eat it out the bowl so just one dish to clean.

An easy thing to do is use one of those small single egg pans. I fry some bacon in the pan to release a bit of oil and if I have it, a couple of slices of chorizo. I remove the fat from the bacon with scissors and chop the meat up.

Add a chopped chestnut mushroom and a little sliced onion and fry gently. Drop in some chunks of cheese and an egg and stir in the egg to break the yolk and cook gently until set, then put on a layer of grated cheese and put under the grill. Of course, add seasoning to your liking during cooking. I like to use a few pinches of Caribbean seasoning, sea salt and black pepper. 

So, everything is done in a small egg pan and the result can be upturned onto a slice of toast.

• Like 2

It's the only meal we eat on the boat all week, eating in the pubs the rest of the time!

It's was written in our marriage contract 36 years ago that she has to cook one meal a day :default_biggrin:

However, as the week goes on the full fry up get down graded to a bacon sarnie, as the waistline increases!  :default_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tim said:

It's the only meal we eat on the boat all week, eating in the pubs the rest of the time!

It's was written in our marriage contract 36 years ago that she has to cook one meal a day :default_biggrin:

However, as the week goes on the full fry up get down graded to a bacon sarnie, as the waistline increases!  :default_wink:

We do the same. Can't have a full breakfast every day.

We mix it up with toasted sandwiches, bacon butties, varies things on toast, porridge, eggs benedict, etc. 

We do exactly the same on the boat as we do at home. Tony always prepares breakfast. A soft boiled egg, and a piece of wholemeal toast,followed by a cup of tea and an omega 3 capsule. Back in the days when we didn't have to worry about what we ate, I always cooked the full Monty English breakfast with all the trimmings  but these days we have to be more circumspect so that only happens when we have house guests.

Carole

Our usual on the boat is to start off early and for Graham to make some tea and toast for me to eat whilst on the helm. Fry ups (second breakfast) are usually reserved for lunchtimes. Mind you, we sometimes vegetate on the mooring all morning and then make brunch. 

• Like 1

I tend not to have a cooked breakfast because I can't face the washing up and am too tight to go out for it, so I tend to have toasted crumpet or hot cross bun in season. On the odd occasion we have a "fry-up" we usually cook the mushrooms, tomatoes, bacon, sausages and black pudding in the oven and just do the beans and eggs on the hob. Black pudding is de-rigeur . If I'm going to kill myself I'm going to do it properly. I can 100% recommend the Fruit Pig brand, which is made from fresh pig's blood, as opposed to the dried stuff used in most other black puds nowadays and the taste is all the better for it.