Hijinks On On Hi-jinks

1 hour ago, Aboattime said:

And the New Inn have posters up saying"Book now for Christmas":default_hiding:

Kevin

Just think - another few weeks and the Temple of Tat at Potter will have all of the seasonal toot on display (as if I need reminding the Christmas will be on 25th December this year too).

Grrrrrrrrr!:default_icon_redface:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

There's basically nothing wrong with the Ferry and when we moored at Ferry marina we used it often as it was so connvenient. It may not appeal to beer aficionados, wouldn't know about that as neither Tony or I are  remotely interested in beer. Obviously the food comes nowhere near fine dining but then you wouldn't expect it to,  but what was on offer was well cooked, good value and of acceptable quantity unlike some "fine dining" establishements! The service was good too. Whereas at the new Inn we were shown to a table that seemed to have one leg several inches shorter than the others and pointing this out to the waitress resulted in a beer mat being tossed on the table accompanied by a shrug of the shoulders. The room itself didn't look very clean and the food  when  served was distinctly unappealing.

Carole

45 minutes ago, addicted said:

a table that seemed to have one leg several inches shorter than the others

That table is starting to sound more and more like myself :default_smile:

I believe all the pubs in Horning each have their own charm. I do accept however that I am easily pleased, my one and only requirement of a pub being a functioning beer tap :default_biggrin:

Cheers :default_winko:

1 hour ago, addicted said:

There's basically nothing wrong with the Ferry and when we moored at Ferry marina we used it often as it was so connvenient. It may not appeal to beer aficionados, wouldn't know about that as neither Tony or I are  remotely interested in beer. Obviously the food comes nowhere near fine dining but then you wouldn't expect it to,  but what was on offer was well cooked, good value and of acceptable quantity unlike some "fine dining" establishements! The service was good too. Whereas at the new Inn we were shown to a table that seemed to have one leg several inches shorter than the others and pointing this out to the waitress resulted in a beer mat being tossed on the table accompanied by a shrug of the shoulders. The room itself didn't look very clean and the food  when  served was distinctly unappealing.

Carole

We are just disappointed in the New Inn compared to what it used to be under the management of Ann.With 2 young grand kids in tow we will give the Ferry a go, we sampled the sandwiches,the menu looks good, the kids will be amused, hopefully,and its close to our boat moorings.If the New Inn raises its game, got my doubts as its now part of a chain,we will be back but not at the moment and not at Christmas.:default_beerchug:

• Sad 1

a lot comes down to personal preferences and expectations. if a pub or restaurant fails to meet those, you will probably give it a bad review, whereas for someone else, that may be their  ideal pub. at the end of the day we vote with our feet, if we dont like somewhere, we dont tend to go back.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thought it would be a good idea to grace the Northern Broads with our presence so last Sunday off we set. After an uneventful cruise we arrived at Acle bridge at about 6.30pm and managed to get the last mooring on the field. Decided it was a step too far to eat at the Bridge so ate on board. Next morning we set off for Wroxham. Fuelled up at Barnes and moored on their visitors moorings. Tony spent the afternoon helping various hirers bring their boats into the basin without mishap. Spent a lovely afternoon watching all the coming and goings on the river. Next morning we set off for Womak Water staithe, my favourite destination on the Northern Broads. Again we were lucky to get the last mooring . we found ourselves moored next to the most delightful family.Hope very much to meet up with them again some time. Ate at the Kings Head. Very nice meal but we were the only people there!. Next morning we bid farewell to our lovely neighbours who were heading for Coltishall and headed for Potter Heigham. When we arrived there were no moorings but we spotted a boat that seemed to be preparing to depart, so we waited a few minutes and nipped in after they moved off. Lucky again! We managed to get hookedup to  the electric (always a bonus) and settled down for the rest of the day. Had lunch then the obligatory trip to Latham's (B&M on steroids!) Spent the afternoon relaxing watching the coming and goings of boats. The day got increasingly windy and during the night was very bad giving cause for concern, next morning we wondered if we would be able to push off it was so strong blowing us on shore. But we got off OK during a briefl lull.. We headed for Acle and moored outside the Bridge about midday. Spent the rest of the day there and had dinner in the Bridge, which according to the notice outside was full to capacity. After dinner we spent   a pleasant evening   catching up on the days tennis. Pushed off about 9.30 next morning and after a very pleasant cruise moored back on our mooring at NBS at 2.30pm. Lookingforward to doing it again soon, ths time giving Ludham Bridge a try!

Carole

• Like 4

The availability of calor gas does not seem to be improving and we are considering switching to an alternative, however what happens about the containers  of our existing system. The  initial sum paid includes a deposit which by the very nature of that name  implies it is returnable.  Can these deposits be redeeemed when buying something diffferent if not how  can the deposits paid on the calor gas cannisters  be recouped? Anyone know?

Carole

13 minutes ago, addicted said:

Thanks. I can't see how that would work as with most boats the cylinders are already there when you buy the boat , surely the cylinders themselves are a receipt?

Hi Carole

Unfortunately, without a receipt you cannot get a refund of the cylinder hire charge. You can however sell the empties for which, depending on the size of the cylinder, have been going for quite ridiculous prices due to the recent shortage as you have only been able to get a cylinder refill of like for like sizes which has led to the increased second hand market

If the company paid a nominal sum with out a receipt they would get back bottles that no-end of people have in there garages just in case they need to use one, must have a numnuts for a CEO for not realizing this. John

So, if we switch to propane which we prefer anyway, although we'll have to stump up for the deposit of the first ones we buy , we will be able to sell the empty calor cyclinders we already have? To whom could we sell those? Hope I'm not sounding like all sorts of idiot with these questions.

18 minutes ago, addicted said:

So, if we switch to propane which we prefer anyway, although we'll have to stump up for the deposit of the first ones we buy , we will be able to sell the empty calor cyclinders we already have? To whom could we sell those? Hope I'm not sounding like all sorts of idiot with these questions.

Calor have currently stopped the supply of new issue cylinders and will only refill bottles of the same type you take in for refill.

To swap from Butane to Propane you would need to find a propane cylinder of the size you desire to use or buy a second hand one off of ebay, facebook marketplace, the local paper etc etc and then take that one in for refill exchange.

You can sell your butane ones likewise in local adverts or online ads, what size they are will depend on the price you can get but the small 4.5kg empty butane cylinders have been going for around 15 quid near me, whereas the empty 6kg Propane have been going for well over 70 quid

Edited to say, if you are looking at buying a new cylinder, why not take a look at flogas

If getting hold of the gas you need is an issue, then changing to flo gas I hear is a good alternative around the broads area. Not sure if it is true, apparently some places will swap your empty Calor cylinders for no core charge when swapping to Flo? Regulators are not to expensive either. 

Cheers

Paul 

• Like 1