Hijinks On On Hi-jinks

I always understood that the cylinder remains the property of Calor and you paid , as said, a deposit.

Therefore if you sell it on Ebay you are committing theft. It is not yours to sell. Sounds like Calor need a few lessons from Chep. (Pallet hire for those not familiar)

• Like 1

I thought that if you switch from Butane to propane, you would need new regulators and potentially some modifications to your cooker.  Calor and Flogas propane use the same regulators, but the bottle sizes and shapes differ, so may not fit in the locker. I am aware that the Moonlight Shadow syndicate recently changed from Calor to Flogas due to ongoing issues with Calor availability.  It’s also worth remembering that there is a Flogas depot at Catfield.

On 12/07/2022 at 13:04, annv said:

If the company paid a nominal sum with out a receipt they would get back bottles that no-end of people have in there garages just in case they need to use one, must have a numnuts for a CEO for not realizing this. John

Calories will 'buy back' (an interesting scenario on rented bottles) any old bottles that are taken to one of their main depots. I believe they offer a very poor £5 a bottle. There are only about a dozen main depots in the country, one of which is in Norwich. Sadly the uptake of this offer has been very limited, not only down to the fact that we all paid 6 times that (and then some) for the bottles in the first place but also the cost in fuel and time to actually take any bottles to the depots means it's costing you more to return unwanted bottles than they give you back!

Calor have done this to themselves, firstly down to their greed in allowing more bottles to be sold than they could possibly service and secondly by their total inability to come up with a system that allows them to collect the millions of bottles sat empty in the retailers cages that their own (empty) lorries drive past every day.

By the way, Flogas Butane is readily available from many B&M Homestores. You may need to change to one of their regulators in some instances but we all have a B&M nearby. Their stock levels are pretty good. Sadly the B&M's do not stock the Flogas propane range.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When we heard last week of the expected heatwave and the extreme temperatures expected to come with it we wondered where to go to find a nice breeze. Oulton Broad of course so off we set on Sunday morning. Arriving at Somerleyton bridge we were surprised to find a headroom of only 8'. High water there is given as being 8'6" we need 8'3" So we moored up and waited for about 21/2 hours, arriving at Oulton at about 5.45pm. On the way there we encountered a speedboat and water skier, who seemed to have one ambition - to sink us! They quite literally aimed straight for us 5 times! Everything in the boat that wasn't fixed fell over and we now have a nasty chip in the enamel on our sink. At one point I really thought we were going to turnover. It was extremely scary. We arrived at Oulton a bit shaken and very grateful to be in one piece. We enjoyed our stay there so much we extended our intended 2 nights to 3. There was a bit of drama during Monday afternoon when a very long hire boat got into difficulties coming into the harbour and caused extensive damage to a much loved woodie, to the loud and extreme fury of it's owner(perfectly understandable). However all was sorted out and a peaceful conclusion was arrived at. The hire boat in question was with another similar boat which moored next to us. All the occupants of both boats were lovely people and the helmsman who had caused the damage was mortified. We just hope it hasn't ruined his holiday which had only started yesterday! Moored the other side of us was Pipedreams  and  it was very nice to meet them, in fact we were surrounded by some very nice people exceptionally so and we were very glad we had decided to extend our stay. We were all still out on the pontoon chatting and drinking wine till after 11.OO pm. It was really enjoyable. Got back to our mooring about 12.30 today and it ain't half hot!. 

Carole

• Like 3

When we heard last week of the expected heatwave and the extreme temperatures expected to come with it we wondered where to go to find a nice breeze. Oulton Broad of course so off we set on Sunday morning. Arriving at Somerleyton bridge we were surprised to find a headroom of only 8'. High water there is given as being 8'6" we need 8'3" So we moored up and waited for about 21/2 hours, arriving at Oulton at about 5.45pm. On the way there we encountered a speedboat and water skier, who seemed to have one ambition - to sink us! They quite literally aimed straight for us 5 times! Everything in the boat that wasn't fixed fell over and we now have a nasty chip in the enamel on our sink. At one point I really thought we were going to turnover. It was extremely scary. We arrived at Oulton a bit shaken and very grateful to be in one piece. We enjoyed our stay there so much we extended our intended 2 nights to 3. There was a bit of drama during Monday afternoon when a very long hire boat got into difficulties coming into the harbour and caused extensive damage to a much loved woodie, to the loud and extreme fury of it's owner(perfectly understandable). However all was sorted out and a peaceful conclusion was arrived at. The hire boat in question was with another similar boat which moored next to us. All the occupants of both boats were lovely people and the helmsman who had caused the damage was mortified. We just hope it hasn't ruined his holiday which had only started yesterday! Moored the other side of us was Pipedreams  and  it was very nice to meet them, in fact we were surrounded by some very nice people exceptionally so and we were very glad we had decided to extend our stay. We were all still out on the pontoon chatting and drinking wine till after 11.OO pm. It was really enjoyable. Got back to our mooring about 12.30 today and it ain't half hot!. 

Carole

I don't particularly mind the "wandering  off course" it'swhat forums tend to do but if  a seperate thread could be set up  to deal with the issues that have highjacked it it may be a good idea as it is a big subject and deserves it's own space  I think, (not Hi-Jinks adventures the other stuff)

Carole

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/07/2022 at 16:27, addicted said:

On the way there we encountered a speedboat and water skier, who seemed to have one ambition - to sink us! They quite literally aimed straight for us 5 times! Everything in the boat that wasn't fixed fell over and we now have a nasty chip in the enamel on our sink. At one point I really thought we were going to turnover. It was extremely scary. We arrived at Oulton a bit shaken and very grateful to be in one piece.

I was moored in Oulton Dyke last night and sitting at the helm reading a book when I heard and then saw a ski boat come from the Oulton Broad direction on the plane. The wash was very severe. Luckily my phone was to hand so I stood up to take a picture, which caused them to slow down. However they still went past moored boats way too fast and their wash carried on for some considerable time. I managed to get 6 good quality pictures which identify the boat and most of its occupants. This morning they have been sent to Broads Control. For obvious reasons I won't post the pictures here, but hopefully a word will be had. I have also raised my concerns about the lack of clear large reg numbers as required by the regs for water skiing. The boat I saw had only a short visit toll, but I still got a picture of it. I later saw a second boat going at a sensible speed and creating virtually no wash, but again there was a lack of any clear reg numbers which would have been an issue if an incident had occurred in a water ski zone, or for that matter anywhere on the river.

• Like 2

The registration numbers on the boat that gave us so much grief  were very clearly displayed which is why I was able to make a note of them despite being thrown all over the place. This abuse of the system by certain individuals is obviously a real problem and will undoubtedly result in injury if left unchecked.

Carole

Yes it definitely sounds like a different boat, which means there are at least two in that area that need to be spoken to by the rangers. They are entitled to their fun in the appropriate zones and whilst keeping a proper look out for other craft, but the incident I reported happened in a 5mph area with two moorings in close proximity, both comprising pontoon moorings and a canoe landing mooring.

Last Monday after a 12 day stay on Hi-Jinks we went home but before we did we cruised to Sheerline 's yard and left  Hi-Jinks there . We collected her today having had nice new electric windlass and mud weight fitted also having had the thermostat on the immersion adjusted as it was dangerously hot. We also had additional leisure battery fitted. Everything having been done perfectly we cruised her back to our mooring at NBS, arriving at about 4.20pm. Yet again we have received  the best service from Sheerline. They really do go the extra mile and can't be faulted. We can't recommend them highly enough.

Carole

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Came to the boat last Thursday. Planning a trip over to the Northern Broads tomorrow. Will be meeting up with my daughter, her husband ,,No. 2 granddaughter and Dexter the Boston terrier. They're booked into the Sprowston spa hotel for a couple of nights and we plan to show them some of the beautiful places we've talked about, They've never seen the north before. We've no firm agenda, just going to make it up as we go along, If you're out and about and spot Hi-Jinks on your travels give us a wave.

Carole

• Like 5

Arrived at Acle bridge at about 2.30pm having left Brundall at 9 10 am. An enjoyable uneventful journey. We booked a table at the Bridge Inn a d sat on the moorings immediately outside watching the world go by. The garden was heaving with people and in particular children by the dozen. Great to see so many people having a lovely time. When we were there a few weeks ago achap came to collect a mooring fee,when we told him we were booked in for dinner, he went off without charging us. Yesterday however, a woman came to collect the fee and said there was no mooring fee discount or refund for diners. And so it turned out to be when we enquired while paying our bill. We found this disappointing. It isn't simply about money, It makes one feel unappreciated as a customer and smacks of greed and opportunism. I doubt we will ever return there.

Carole

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

I don't agree with charging for moorings at a business you plan to spend money in, I can understand it for the muppets that take pub moorings and eat and drink on board but not for real customers.

To be fair, this actually works both ways. Paying a mooring fee relieves you of the pressure to eat or drink in the establishment you are moored at. For instance The Bure Valley Fish restaurant in Horning has no mooring and finding a space on the limited public mooring can be tricky, but there are two pubs nearby that charge for you to moor there overnight. As far as I'm concerned when you pay to moor, your free to eat where you want.

I would never do that if the mooring was free or refunded on food or drink though.

20 minutes ago, addicted said:

Arrived at Acle bridge at about 2.30pm having left Brundall at 9 10 am. An enjoyable uneventful journey. We booked a table at the Bridge Inn a d sat on the moorings immediately outside watching the world go by. The garden was heaving with people and in particular children by the dozen. Great to see so many people having a lovely time. When we were there a few weeks ago achap came to collect a mooring fee,when we told him we were booked in for dinner, he went off without charging us. Yesterday however, a woman came to collect the fee and said there was no mooring fee discount or refund for diners. And so it turned out to be when we enquired while paying our bill. We found this disappointing. It isn't simply about money, It makes one feel unappreciated as a customer and smacks of greed and opportunism. I doubt we will ever return there.

Carole

Would you remember what the charge was.

I think pubs should at lest discount their moorings if you are willing to spend money at the establishment.

i can see why maybe they have changed to charge for moorings regardless wether people eat in the pub or not as it’s the electric and gas prices must be affecting the whole industry and as usual we are the ones paying for it. 

When is the government going to actually confront these company’s  

Roy 

1 hour ago, addicted said:

We found this disappointing. It isn't simply about money, It makes one feel unappreciated as a customer and smacks of greed and opportunism. I doubt we will ever return there.

I very thoroughly agree with you and somehow, I knew one day soon this was bound to happen.  What a disgrace!

Would you pay to park your car in a pub car park, while you were having lunch?   Of course not!!

48 minutes ago, Meantime said:

Paying a mooring fee relieves you of the pressure to eat or drink in the establishment you are moored at.

On the contrary I would never, for one moment, think of cluttering up the moorings in the front of a pub if I did not intend to eat or drink there.

I don't know, perhaps it is our own fault.  Perhaps there are just no manners, or common courtesy in these matters nowadays.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

On the contrary I would never, for one moment, think of cluttering up the moorings in the front of a pub if I did not intend to eat or drink there.

I don't know, perhaps it is our own fault.  Perhaps there are just no manners, or common courtesy in these matters nowadays.

Hey steady on! If a pub wants to provide a chargeable service, such as charging you for mooring, then I don't think there is a compulsion to eat in that pub. Totally different if the moorings are free as is the car park. That has NOTHING to do with manners. I've paid for a service, i.e. I've paid to to moor my boat, now I'm free to go where I want to eat or drink. They cannot have it both ways. 

Oh and common courtesy works both ways! Provide a free mooring and I'll happily eat in their pub, or move on if I've no intention of eating in their pub.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

How does it work in France Vaughan, are charges made and if so is it common place or do some charge whilst others dont.

It's not quite the same thing, as there are almost no bars and restaurants which have their own river frontage.  The canal banks, and most river banks, are owned by the VNF (Voies Navigables de France) and if you have paid their toll, you can basically moor where you want, including in the centre of towns and villages.  Off river marina moorings might charge but these are pretty rare.  Facilities such as water, bins and electric points are provided by the town council (Mairie) in each location.

The big difference here, goes back to the Broads being a quite unique navigation, with no tow paths.  The rivers were made navigable, basically, by the local farmers and villages, who wanted to get their produce to market by Keel and Wherry.  That means "under sail".  

Before accusing me of being old fashioned, just think about it for a moment . . . . 

All these so called "wild moorings" are on private land and the same goes for the pubs.  So unfortunately we are now inheriting the legacy that they can charge what they like on their own land and I presume, there is no Authority that can tell them otherwise.

Whether or not they are killing the goose that laid the golden eggs, remains to be seen and I  suspect we will find out sooner rather than later.

Acle Bridge have already lost Addicted as a customer and that will include me, next time I am "passing through".

• Like 1