Hijinks On On Hi-jinks

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I don't know, perhaps it is our own fault.  Perhaps there are just no manners, or common courtesy in these matters nowadays.

I think that it’s probably a case of the minority affecting it for the majority (as usual).  There will always be a few people who think that they’ve scored by avoiding paying and taking advantage of facilities provided.  Think of the number of towels and toiletries that must have been misappropriated from hotels over the years.

The Bridge Inn isn’t alone in charging for moorings.  A charge has been implemented at The Lion, Thurne as well, which isn’t redeemable against food or drink.  I guess maintaining moorings and quay headings isn’t cheap now and the costs outweigh the profits made by the business, particularly as their other costs have increased many fold over recent months.  Wages, employees NI contributions, rates, gas, electricity, food and presumably beer have all gone up, so something has to give.

I’d rather see the pub continue to survive, rather than lose it.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I think that it’s probably a case of the minority affecting it for the majority (as usual).  There will always be a few people who think that they’ve scored by avoiding paying and taking advantage of facilities provided.  Think of the number of towels and toiletries that must have been misappropriated from hotels over the years.

The Bridge Inn isn’t alone in charging for moorings.  A charge has been implemented at The Lion, Thurne as well, which isn’t redeemable against food or drink.  I guess maintaining moorings and quay headings isn’t cheap now and the costs outweigh the profits made by the business, particularly as their other costs have increased many fold over recent months.  Wages, employees NI contributions, rates, gas, electricity, food and presumably beer have all gone up, so something has to give.

I’d rather see the pub continue to survive, rather than lose it.

Malcolm I thought that it was only charged for mooring on side side of cutting at Thurne.

Regards

Alan

2 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Malcolm I thought that it was only charged for mooring on side side of cutting at Thurne.

Regards

Alan

I believe that that Ricky has taken over the lease on the farm side of the Dyke, to prevent them from being turned into private moorings.  They’re free until 16:00, but chargeable after then.  Pricing details here:

https://www.thelionatthurne.com/breakfast-boat-mooring

• Thanks 1

Whilst I would prefer there to be free moorings provided I can also sympathise with the businesses that have to maintain them , my bug bear however is at what rate they set these charges .

I would happily pay £20 for an overnight pub mooring IF at least £10 is refundable against food / drink remember we are already paying a premium price on their goods due to being waterside .

If requiring a mooring and not intending to purchase anything from the inn then I think £15 to £20 is reasonable , I don’t know what a campsite would charge for a motor home overnight in a similar location but wouldn’t be surprised if it were more .

Many happily pay £12 to moor at Ranworth Island or Salhouse spit where there are no facilities whatsoever , £20 at Barnes for the convenience of mooring in Hoveton or similar at the Hotel or the adjacent moorings .

Pubs are struggling at the moment with rising costs , staffing issues and the rising drink on board , at home culture and I for one don’t begrudge them £5 or even £10 to be able to use their moorings overnight 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CambridgeCabby said:

we are already paying a premium price on their goods due to being waterside .

It's probably fair to say though they are also paying premium prices to their Landlords for being a riverside business. Business rates and rents will reflect their location, thus so will their prices.

• Like 1

Arrived at Acle bridge at about 2.30pm having left Brundall at 9 10 am. An enjoyable uneventful journey. We booked a table at the Bridge Inn a d sat on the moorings immediately outside watching the world go by. The garden was heaving with people and in particular children by the dozen. Great to see so many people having a lovely time. When we were there a few weeks ago achap came to collect a mooring fee,when we told him we were booked in for dinner, he went off without charging us. Yesterday however, a woman came to collect the fee and said there was no mooring fee discount or refund for diners. And so it turned out to be when we enquired while paying our bill. We found this disappointing. It isn't simply about money, It makes one feel unappreciated as a customer and smacks of greed and opportunism. I doubt we will ever return there.

Carole

Well things didn't go exactly to plan. My daughter was booked into Sprowston Spa hotel only to receive an email from them cancelling the booking with no explanation. She has since learned that this hotel has a reputation for taking a booking without requesting a deposit and leaving the room available at a higher price .If they get a booking at the higher price they cancel the first one! Things turned out better actually as she booked into Wroxham hotel which was about 2mins walk from where we were moored and was excellent in every way! Sadly the weather chose To go pear shaped on the day designated as their day to see the N. Broads for the first time but it didn't stop us from doing a trip through Wroxham to Horning then onto Potter heigham back for a little sortie round Roy's dept. Store then later dinner at the Wroxham hotel where we had another excellent meal and great fun with the waiters one of whom finished up giving Tony a shoulder massage (don't ask). Next day saw my daughter returning home via Wroxham barns. It had been our intention to head for an overnight stop at Stokesby before heading back South on Friday. But as we arrived at Stokesby Tony decided he preferred to push on so we kept going arriving back on our mooring at about 6.30pm having left Barnes in Wroxham at 10.35am. We were both a bit tired after such a long haul, so were not very impressed to be woken at 1.00am by the carbon monoxide alarm! Investigations found nothing untoward, however, this occurred twice more so we took the alarm into our bedroom, turned off the gas shut off,turned off the battery charger, took the fridge off mains opened the Houdini over our bed and went back to bed, neither of us sleeping very well.Further investigations this morning suggest the problem lies with the batteries which is what Tony had suspected. All part of the fun of owning a  boat.

Carole

On 24/08/2022 at 11:56, Mouldy said:

I believe that that Ricky has taken over the lease on the farm side of the Dyke, to prevent them from being turned into private moorings.  They’re free until 16:00, but chargeable after then.  Pricing details here:

https://www.thelionatthurne.com/breakfast-boat-mooring

Also people need to remember that the Lion was nearly lost to us all, and the moorings as before Rick took it over it was very nearly gonna be turned into Flats.

• Like 3

Carole, I can fully understand your irritation at the sudden change in the pub changing it's policy regarding moorings, but I do wonder if it's just the pub trying to claw back some of the massive losses incurred in the pandemic era, using the high season to do it!

If that's the case then I really don't blame them.

It should be remembered in todays climate that it's not only businesses that are struggling financially. everybody is finding it tough going absorbing inflation and  all these extra costs could make the difference on whether some hirers  albeit reluctantly, decide not to return next year unless there is a drastic improvement in the cost of living. If that happens the pubs will really feel the pinch.

Carole

22 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Carole, I can fully understand your irritation at the sudden change in the pub changing it's policy regarding moorings, but I do wonder if it's just the pub trying to claw back some of the massive losses incurred in the pandemic era, using the high season to do it!

If that's the case then I really don't blame them.

I didn't find it irritating more disappointing. Apparently this policy,  so the landlady told  us,  has been in place for 5 years. So pre-covid and not introduced to claw back losses incurred by that.

Carole

• 4 weeks later...

Came to the boat this morning after a couple of weeks at home and found we had one of those most irritating things - A leaky window! Tony really doesn't " do " water where it shouldn't be and is on the case  big time!  I feel a  shipping load of Creeping Crack coming on! Fortunately we came without a particular agenda. Just go where the mood (or the weather) takes us. Just as well because experience tells me any plans we may  have had would now be  firmly on the back burner and that top on the agenda will now  be curing that pesky leak.

Carole

It absolutely hammered down here in Brundall last night and as expected some water ingress below the offending window. A thorough inspection of all windows externally this morning revealed a blocked channel on that particular window. Tony is hoping that having given it a thorough clean out, we will have no further problem. We can but hope.

Carole

• Like 3

As said  our intention was to go where the mood( or the weather) took us. Well it took us home! We didn't fancy cruising anywhere in the rain. the marina was like the Marie Celeste - totally deserted.  In other words it was no fun at all and too cold to be relaxing either. We wait in hope that temperatures will be user friendly again before too long.

Carole

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Lulu said:

That’s a shame Carole. It’s turned into a lovely day today.  I suspect tonight’s temp will plummet though 

Beautiful afternoon sunshine here. Forecast for tonight is a chance of rain and 8 degrees. We have resisted the heating just yet. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Went to the boat  today just to give her a quick check over to make sure the tube heater we installed a while back had done it's job without racking up a colossal electricity bill. All seems to be o.k. So off to lunch.  We went to Horning. The convenient Ferry Inn  where we enjoyed an excellent lunch on New Years Day was still closed for  refurbishment sadly so  against our better judgement we went to the New Inn. If I relate how  it was accurately and truthfully I'll incur the  attention  of  the peskies so I'll leave it to your imagination and just add  NEVER AGAIN! However  to be fair I can say that the service was very friendly.

Carole

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, addicted said:

Went to the boat  today just to give her a quick check over to make sure the tube heater we installed a while back had done it's job without racking up a colossal electricity bill. All seems to be o.k. So off to lunch.  We went to Horning. The convenient Ferry Inn  where we enjoyed an excellent lunch on New Years Day was still closed for  refurbishment sadly so  against our better judgement we went to the New Inn. If I relate how  it was accurately and truthfully I'll incur the  attention  of  the peskies so I'll leave it to your imagination and just add  NEVER AGAIN! However  to be fair I can say that the service was very friendly.

Carole

If it was that bad did you complain and what was the response?  Only fair to ask so that we know what the problems are.

• Like 1